Skip to content

Why Are People Trying to Start Game with High Level Chars?

ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
I can understand starting with high attributes (like all 18) or high thieving skills at level 1 to make up for pick pockets and etc not being usable until late game, but why would you want to load an end-game character in Candlekeep when the multiplayer game literally says "New Game".

You people are partially the reason people keep hosting with passwords, these guys that come in Candlekeep while everyone else is level 1 and load a level 10 character with end game items, tell me really what is the point? You're not going to have any real challenge until maybe end of Durlag's Tower or in Baldur's Gate, so tell me why. There's already enough exploits and free/cheap exp and items that starting at level 10 is totally unnecessary.

I just had to rant about this cause it's really beginning to bug me when I try to host publicly and get some people to join but they don't want to start new they want to load end game characters. I even told this one guy start new char or leave, and his response is "You want some items?" No I want to play the game not just spawn end game items high level characters and overpower every single monster in the game...... I seriously don't get it. To me that's not even playing the game, might as well start the game with 25 all stats level 20.

It's one thing to make yourself level 10 instantly for testing spells or stat progression or something, but these people were planning to do a play through with it.
Post edited by Zagacious on
AerakarOrlonKronsteen

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    As a general rule, the first level of D&D, whether tabletop or cRPG, is generally the most dangerous of levels, as you have very few options and with a low enough amount of hitpoints, you're just one unlucky hit away from a game over, much less a crit!

Some classes don't even really pick up to about level 5, like mages for instance. As soon as you get Third level spells, the game truly opens up for you. And as long as it takes to get to level 5, especially in a full proper party, you're doing a lot of nothing but slinging and probably item identifying. That, frankly, is quite boring. And you can finally take a hit. Maybe.

Those are the primary reasons I can see for starting at a higher level. And since 5 is pretty close to the level cap for most classes in the first game, you might as well go whole hog.
    GreenWarlock
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2017

As a general rule, the first level of D&D, whether tabletop or cRPG, is generally the most dangerous of levels, as you have very few options and with a low enough amount of hitpoints, you're just one unlucky hit away from a game over, much less a crit!

Some classes don't even really pick up to about level 5, like mages for instance. As soon as you get Third level spells, the game truly opens up for you. And as long as it takes to get to level 5, especially in a full proper party, you're doing a lot of nothing but slinging and probably item identifying. That, frankly, is quite boring. And you can finally take a hit. Maybe.

Those are the primary reasons I can see for starting at a higher level. And since 5 is pretty close to the level cap for most classes in the first game, you might as well go whole hog.

The beginning is way too easy if there's isn't that risk of getting killed in 1 shot by a random gibberling or kobold arrow though. Partially because range weapons make it a bit too easy otherwise, but still.

This is only really true for a few specific classes that are pretty much useless until high level, like Monk or Shapechanger, and a few others I won't go into, but even a Mage level 1 is pretty powerful with a ranged weap and spells Sleep, Spook, and a couple others can be really powerful until you've gained a few levels. Pretty much any class that's weak at the beginning can just make use of level 1 spells and/or ranged weaps until they are leveled enough.

Also, I thought the level cap was like 8-9 for most classes? With level cap removed I can easily get way more than this, but level cap is around 8 or 9. The only part I really exploit to get more exp is killing elminster every time he appears for 26K more exp lol, and a lot of random NPC's and shops that are worth way more EXP than they should be.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I tried doing dart kiting with a lvl 1 monk once in tutu. I would not recommend this strategy, but throwing daggers might have worked better. It was so boring btw I quit in disgust.

Would you really prefer it if people started new Monk PCs in your game?!
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Shame on people playing the game how they want to play it!
    Grond0ShikaoStummvonBordwehr
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Cause many are wanting to take advantage be the big boss kill it all with no probs I reckon. Reminds me of 'Monty Haul' PnP campaigns, magic items hangin from trees like apples in the fall. People wanting to start out as a platinum dragon, with gold dragons as guardians. "but, but, I'm only first lvl, and a vorpal sword ain't that much to ask for at the startin gate".

ThacoBell
    edited August 2017
    Zaghoul said:

Cause many are wanting to take advantage be the big boss kill it all with no probs I reckon. Reminds me of 'Monty Haul' PnP campaigns, magic items hangin from trees like apples in the fall. People wanting to start out as a platinum dragon, with gold dragons as guardians. "but, but, I'm only first lvl, and a vorpal sword ain't that much to ask for at the startin gate".

Yes but as I mentioned it's fine if they're just screwing around and want to start high level or for testing, but to join someone else's game and do that without asking? And then some people straight out refuse to make/load a level 1 or just won't respond no matter how many times I ask.

Wesboi said:

Shame on people playing the game how they want to play it!

In a single player game, I agree with your sentiments entirely - play the game however you want. The OP is complaining about trying to find players for multiplayer games who want to play the game as originally intended. If you get a party of first level characters and a max-level PC joining for fun, only one player will be having any fun.
    Exactly, and I realize my OP wasn't as clear as it could be because I was ranting, but the real problem is that I can't kick these people without closing the game entirely or putting a password, and putting a password would not allow random other people to join because I've met some of my favorite people to play with through random encounters by joining their games.

The people I've seen that load these chars will mostly just not respond if you ask them to load a new char.
    elminster said:

There are settings you can set for when you host a game that stop people from bringing in items and require they start at level 1. When in the character arbitration screen press the "Game Options" button and then select "Statistics" under import character rules.

Thanks, I didn't even know that existed. I vaguely remember a YouTuber referencing it but I forgot to look into it, that will solve my problem mostly. If only there was a way to kick people or disable them from using the console.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

yeah - the proper way to start a high level character is to create the PC in ToB, then export a level 20+ newbie to Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep. Do these folks know nothing?

I really laughed at this. That said, if there's a better way of clearing the rats from Reevor's storehouse than using time-stop, improved alacrity and 3x horrid wilting, I'd love to hear it.
    Shapeshift: Mindflayer + eat brains?
    OrlonKronsteen
    Nimran said:

yeah - the proper way to start a high level character is to create the PC in ToB, then export a level 20+ newbie to Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep. Do these folks know nothing?

I really laughed at this. That said, if there's a better way of clearing the rats from Reevor's storehouse than using time-stop, improved alacrity and 3x horrid wilting, I'd love to hear it.
    Practicality issue: how do you reach them, and won't the damage of a mindflayer attack kinda destroy, not just kill a rat? They're pretty small...

Now ferrets would make a nice snack! o:)
    OrlonKronsteen
    edited August 2017
    Happened again today, someone hosted with the name "New Game New Chars", I join, they are level 6/6/7 just reaching Nashkel for first time with 254 all stats. I spawned a bunch of giant wyverns and the mages who are with Sarevok of course nothing could even hit him, as well as 100% magic resist + 100% phys resist Just...Why? Lol, the name was "New Game New Chars" after all. If you're going to mega cheat or screw around why can't they just host a private game
    OrlonKronsteenLoldrup
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Bummer. :s Unfortunately, I suspect that you often will run into that, esp. with totally anonymous folks you have had no communication with at all.

I think the multiplayer would be improved if it had the ability to appoint a DM/moderator, with them setting the rules, and enforcing them, kicking folks out if not abiding by them. B)
    Like many multi-player games, and internet forums for that matter, without a moderator things can get out of hand pretty quickly.
    Just my 2cents.
    ArtonaThacoBellOrlonKronsteenPapa_Lou
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    DreadKhan said:

Nimran said:

Practicality issue: how do you reach them, and won't the damage of a mindflayer attack kinda destroy, not just kill a rat? They're pretty small...

Hey, rat brains are delicious! Er, not that I've had any, nope, definitely not a rat murderer...

Ferret brains are too messy. They can get in your teeth and cause all sorts of problems. I am also not a ferret murderer.
    DreadKhanThacoBellOrlonKronsteenPapa_Lou
    Nimran said:

DreadKhan said:

Nimran said:

Hey, rat brains are delicious! Er, not that I've had any, nope, definitely not a rat murderer...

Ferret brains are too messy. They can get in your teeth and cause all sorts of problems. I am also not a ferret murderer.
    Of course you wouldn't murder some innocent rat just because a dwarf asked you to, and if you did, clearly you would never sample their delicious brains...
    Balrog99OrlonKronsteenPapa_Lou
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Whoa, I just saw the title of this thread as "Why are People Trying to Start Game with High Level CHAIRS?".

I was wondering if somebody was teaching their toddler how to play. That would be hard core!
    OrlonKronsteen
    Balrog99 said:

Whoa, I just saw the title of this thread as "Why are People Trying to Start Game with High Level CHAIRS?".

I was wondering if somebody was teaching their toddler how to play. That would be hard core!

The problem is toddlers are kinda stupid, so they keep trying to run Wizsrd Slayers and Beastmasters because they sound cool, then whine on thr boards about the game being hard. :p
    Nimran said:

DreadKhan said:

Nimran said:

DreadKhan said:

Nimran said:

Of course you wouldn't murder some innocent rat just because a dwarf asked you to, and if you did, clearly you would never sample their delicious brains...
    Right. I just can't think of who would do such a thing.
    Uh, I might have found the real villain around here! *holds up innocent looking cat* This foul beast devours delicious brains of innocent rats!

And I'm clearly not using Mr. Muffin as a scapecat! *discreetly wipes away rat blood from lips*
    Balrog99
    edited September 2017
    Somehow this guy found a way to load level 21 characters with all items even though I have the Game Options set to Import Statistics only -.-. I'm pretty sure he's the same troll I saw in other games who would always load level 15+ characters in BG1. When I ask why he wants to play with a character that can't be killed and one shots everything, his answer "To help new players"
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Zagacious said:

Somehow this guy found a way to load level 21 characters with all items even though I have the Game Options set to Import Statistics only -.-. I'm pretty sure he's the same troll I saw in other games who would always load level 15+ characters in BG1. When I ask why he wants to play with a character that can't be killed and one shots everything, his answer "To help new players"

Because it's so useful to show noobies how to play when you're invulnerable? They can just play on story mode if they want that...
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2017
    I think it's a phase that players go through. Back when I was a kid, I liked to import high level characters into the start of Shadows of Amn and Neverwinter Nights and plow through the game. It gave me a feeling of triumph in games that had otherwise been kicking my butt throughout my childhood.

However, that doesn't excuse joining a multiplayer game with someone else who doesn't want characters like that.
    GreenWarlockStummvonBordwehr
    edited September 2017
    Balrog99 said:

Zagacious said:

Because it's so useful to show noobies how to play when you're invulnerable? They can just play on story mode if they want that...

I think it's a phase that players go through. Back when I was a kid, I liked to import high level characters into the start of Shadows of Amn and Neverwinter Nights and plow through the game. It gave me a feeling of triumph in games that had otherwise been kicking my butt throughout my childhood.

However, that doesn't excuse joining a multiplayer game with someone else who doesn't want characters like that.

This guy is just being a d*** at this point, I swear it's the same guy sometimes cause he always loads ridiculous characters way over max level and won't change even if host asks him many times. He uses the names Drizzt, Dat Boi, and Xa* something. I even explained he can help new people with a level 1 character but he has no answer to that, he's seriously just ruining multiplayer for people whenever I see him.

When I made a level 20 character with full items to show him how enjoyable it is to have an OP character around, he got bored and left. It seems he's done this a lot because now he found a way to get past the loading restrictions hosts can put in Game Options.

I mean I can understand the fun of being OP, but the fun doesn't last that long, you can only faceroll fights so many times before it gets boring, and I would never force other people to do it. On the other side of things, some guy deleted my character for loading a Gnome Skald with a legitimate 96 roll, yet he's constantly abusing save/load and Ctrl-R... I don't get some people, I need to find a group lol.
    Post edited by Zagacious on