Skip to content

Secondary damage bypassing resistance.

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199

Comments

• Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017
    Hey, all. I'm having a problem with acid resistance as it relates to Melf's Acid Arrow in EE v 1.3. 100% acid resistance will stop the initial damage from MAA, however, MAA seems to ignore acid resistance entirely in subsequent rounds. So, if a character with 100% acid resistance is hit with a MAA, the MAA does no damage in round one, but full damage in round 2, round 3, etc.

I first noticed this in combat with Niz, but have since replicated in controlled conditions.

Aestica has 100% acid resistance. Edwin casts MAA. In round 1, Aestica is immune.

In round 2, Aestica takes acid damage, despite still having 100% resistance

Is this a known issue? If not, can anyone replicate?

Best,

A.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited September 2017
    Alesia_BH said:

If not, can anyone replicate?

That behavior is still the same in v2.3.
    Grond0 said:

Noted. Do we have any insight into what is going on mechanically? Has this been reported? Is there a fix in the works?

Best,

A.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Alesia_BH Well mechancially, it just seems the damage after the 1st just is forgetting to check if the target has acid resistance. Seems pretty clear it's a bug. You should probably report your findings to support.baldursgate.com - I don't think it matters if someone else has reported it, if multiple people report the same bug that's a good thing, more likely to get action.
    edited September 2017
    It's not specific to MAA or acid damage or elemental damage. Bigby's Crushing Hand behaves the same way: it bypasses resistance checks on every round but the first.

It appears to be an engine level EE issue.

If anyone is aware of a fix for this, let me know. Thanks!

Best,

A.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Alesia_BH I split these comments to the troubleshooting section so they can hopefully get looked at.
    Tresset said:

@Alesia_BH I split these comments to the troubleshooting section so they can hopefully get looked at.

Awesome!

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Grond0 said:

Alesia_BH said:

If not, can anyone replicate?

How do you replicate it in 2.3? I've done the steps @Alesia_BH did and can't reproduce it in any way.
    edited September 2017
    Yes, I just ran a test on this as well and it works as it should. @Grond0 @Alesia_BH What mods do you have running? Anything that messes with spell stats?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    How do you have 100% immunity. 1.3 with 5th level mage spell seems OK.

From what I understand, Alesia got 100% acid resistance then had melf's shot at her. The 1st she said was resisted, the other hits were not. Are you saying @Tresset and @Kurona that didn't happen for you?
    @Corey_Russell Yes this didn't happen when I tested. The screenshot @Gate70 posted matches my results. I assume @Tresset's as well.
    I used green scroll protection (as Alesia was running a fighter I knew she would have done that). With the green scroll in an unmodded BG2EE 2.3 installation you get

Using the mage spell I also get the immunity working correctly.
    But I thought the green scroll was only 50% acid protection - is that changed in EE?
    edited September 2017
    I used a green scroll + Shadow Dragon Armor for the MAA test; Roranach's + Hardiness + the Defender for the Bigby's test. The character record displayed 100% resistance for the acid resistance test, 110% for the crushing test.

I just tested with the mage spell, Protection from Acid. That works correctly in my install, too, interestingly.

I tried another test with Potion of Magic Shielding + Shadow Dragon Armor. Character record displayed 100% resistance.

That was a fail- same behavior as green scroll + Shadow Dragon Armor.

The screenshots below are from another Shadow Dragon Armor + green scroll replication. Note the 100% in the acid resistance field in screenshot 1

Mods are SCS and Ascension (via BP)

Just tested in BG1 with Potion of Magic Shielding + green scroll. That was a fail.

Best,

A.
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Thanks
    2x scrolls also give 100%. Public report https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/28856 probably covers it but I'll root around.
    That looks like it!
    There's a well-known issue with green scrolls of protection from poison only stopping the poison effect and not poison damage. Is that the same issue at source or something different?
    I don't know how useful it will be to @Gate70 but I ran a couple more tests.

1. Character had a natural 100% acid resistance.
    2. Character had a natural 50% acid resistance and the Shadow Dragon Armor equipped.

For 1 Melf's Acid Arrow worked correctly and the character was immune to all its damage.
    For 2 however I experienced the same as @Grond0 and @Alesia_BH, only the initial damage was fully resisted. Interestingly it still showed part of the damage resisted, so I guess the natural resistance is always taken in consideration and only certain sources are affected.

Grond0 said:

There's a well-known issue with green scrolls of protection from poison only stopping the poison effect and not poison damage. Is that the same issue at source or something different?

As far as I can tell they aren't supposed to give 100% poison resistance bonus, just protect from the poisoned opcode.
    Kurona said:

Interestingly it still showed part of the damage resisted, so I guess the natural resistance is always taken in consideration and only certain sources are affected.

That sounds right. From the link Gate70 supplied the issue seems to be with protection coming from items (as opposed to natural or spells).
    Tresset said:

As far as I can tell they aren't supposed to give 100% poison resistance bonus, just protect from the poisoned opcode.

@Tresset I agree that's the way they've always actually worked, but @JuliusBorisov has previously confirmed the developer intention is that they should protect against all forms of poison.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The problem @Grond0 refers to is https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23455

Protection from Poison Scroll Should Protect against All Poisons

2. Use the SCRL08 protection from poison scroll (F11 -> 1).
    3. C:CreateCreature("bdmorent")
    4. Move around when the dragon wakes up, until it uses it's breath weapon.
    5. Repeat the above, using C:CreateCreature("bdneothe") instead.

Observed
    The dragon/Neothelid breath injures the character with poison damage.

Expected
    The protection from poison scroll should prevent damage.

Also, there's another report at https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23455

Periapt of Proof Against Poison should grant immunity to poison

Observed
    Halen takes damage from the cloudkill

Expected
    Halen should not take damage from poison