Skip to content

"Teleport Field" Spell. Is This The Most Annoying Spell In the FR?

I hate this spell, it's noisy, it's visually a mess and it lasts for ages. And it seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry has it up their sleeve.
And because it's so annoying when cast against me, I don't use it at all.

So just interested, which spells do you hate being attacked with more than any others?
StummvonBordwehrKuronatbone1

Comments

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2017
    SCS mages really love their Teleport Field to prevent you from hitting them in melee. This is why you should equip your fighters with ranged weapons - archers laugh at Teleport Field.

The spell I hate the most when used against me is Time Stop. It's just incredibly annoying to watch the battle proceed for two rounds without you being able to do any input whatsoever. If only they used it to do something interesting but noooo it's always to refresh their protections so I have to dispel them again.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellMantis37
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I find the Teleport spell the most annoying as well.

Another I hate is Maze. The character hit disappears from the game and I always reload if I get hit by it, as I don't know how and when I'll get that character back. Is there a duration to Maze?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @dunbar - one of the advantages of playing multi-player is that the death screen does not come up on the client's computer (and hence they can see what caused the death of your character :D).
    JuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited September 2017
    Kurona said:

SCS mages really love their Teleport Field to prevent you from hitting them in melee. This is why you should equip your fighters with ranged weapons - archers laugh at Teleport Field.

The spell I hate the most when used against me is Time Stop. It's just incredibly annoying to watch the battle proceed for two rounds without you being able to do any input whatsoever. If only they used it to do something interesting but noooo it's always to refresh their protections so I have to dispel them again.

I tend to stay well away from liches who use Time Stop the most I find. Consequently the silly old codgers kind of stand there not doing much. I can imagine the thought processes of these senile, aging hipsters going something like,

"what, who disturbed my rest, sure I heard something, where's my glasses, oops I think my ear just fell off, well now I'm up might as well shuffle over there and make some tea"
    ThacoBellGrum[Deleted User]Balrog99
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I actually like Teleport Field. I seldom ever use it, but it's extremely valuable for scattering the enemies when you're getting boxed in and need an escape path, or when you've got some dangerous melee enemies you need to keep off the party. I nearly always have one Teleport Field memorized, if only as an escape option.

I've always found the spell fascinating specifically because it does something that absolutely no other spell can do.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovKurona
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I can see why Teleport Field would be frustrating to deal with - I used it to great effect in Neera's quest line back when BG2EE first came out.

Is it worth trying to layer TF onto Entangle/Grease/Web, or does the teleport effect negate the rooting/slipping/webbing if they fail both saves?

I actually like Teleport Field. I seldom ever use it, but it's extremely valuable for scattering the enemies when you're getting boxed in and need an escape path, or when you've got some dangerous melee enemies you need to keep off the party. I nearly always have one Teleport Field memorized, if only as an escape option.

I've always found the spell fascinating specifically because it does something that absolutely no other spell can do.

Is it party friendly? As I've necver used it don't know.

I might consider using it if it were party friendly. As it is in the heat of battle, watching your skeletons getting moved all over the place is sooo annoying, let alone yourself.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    While more spells may have worse effects, I hate timestop the most as I just have to sit there and watch the AI cast spells that won't work on 90% of party anyway.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Imprisonment is the most annoying to me
    sarevok57

Is it party friendly? As I've necver used it don't know.

I might consider using it if it were party friendly. As it is in the heat of battle, watching your skeletons getting moved all over the place is sooo annoying, let alone yourself.
    It is in fact party-friendly. It also bypasses magic resistance and offers no saving throw. And nothing is immune to it except for Melissan and possibly Demogorgon.
    PokotaKuronaUnderstandMouseMagicJuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited September 2017
    sarevok57 said:

entangle, for some weird reason the entangle sound is amplified a billion times and sounds very crackily, plus you can't save while it's in effect, and 99 times out of 100 it's the enemy that casts it on me, and 999 times out of 1000 it was a complete waste of time for the enemy to cast

Yeah if Beamdog ever changed that bit, well you would have a friend for life... I do everything in my power to kill shamans before they get this spell off. You simply can't get used to that sound...
    semiticgoddesssarevok57
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Dire charm. It's easy enough to protect one character against it, but what a pain in a no-reload run.

tbone1 said:

Dire charm. It's easy enough to protect one character against it, but what a pain in a no-reload run.

I tend to find it much more of a problem in BG than BG2. And the saving grace of BG is that you can "run away, run away".

Groups of Beholders are the most useless at using it. They charm you and then promptly keep on dispelling it.

A bit ot OT but related to Beholders if anybody can tell me.

If my Charname goes into the Beholder lair in the Underdark, nothing hurts them. They can be held and all the spells thrown at them but the only thing that causes any damage is when the gauths/beholders start to "bite" them or "nudge" them.
    Wearing the cloak of Mirroring and the Belt of Inertia is I presume why, but is there anything else that is at work?
    tbone1
    @UnderstandMouseMagic: The Cloak of Mirroring will block all beholder rays. That's why the beholders couldn't do anything but bite you. In SCS, the beholders will eventually steal the cloak from you (same goes for the Shield of Balduran, which reflects the rays), but without SCS, the cloak basically means immunity from all beholders.

Except Elder Orbs and Hive Mothers, which I believe will both cast Imprisonment.
    tbone1Tresset
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I don't use SCS, but I tend to prefer using chaos on beholders..Shield of Balduran I almost never pick up.

And dream ability horror works wonders as well.
    edited September 2017

@UnderstandMouseMagic: The Cloak of Mirroring will block all beholder rays. That's why the beholders couldn't do anything but bite you. In SCS, the beholders will eventually steal the cloak from you (same goes for the Shield of Balduran, which reflects the rays), but without SCS, the cloak basically means immunity from all beholders.

Except Elder Orbs and Hive Mothers, which I believe will both cast Imprisonment.

Thanks. :)

Reason I asked was because the shield is mentioned a lot, the cloak not so much.

Yes they can cast imprisonment but it's not that often that they do I've found and TBH when protected you can pretty much interrupt the casting. They also cast "maze" I think (don't quote me on that).

I'm so, so bad at knowing what the hell is going on half the time. The moment any fight is over, I basically have a mind swipe and onto the next fight and nothing gets remembered until next time.....Then I sit there going "oh yeah, I remember this".
    Lack of discipline from those of us who don't play "no reload" I think.

Grond0Permidion_Stark
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    It might be Chaos for me. In the early stages of BG2 you encounter it often from Mages before your party is properly equipped to overcome the Mirror Image-Stoneskin-Spell Turning combination that Mage contingencies fire on sight. It can mean that even after the fight is over you're still at risk of casualty. Also, I use that spell a lot and tasting one's own medicine is more bitter than one hundred Power Word: Stuns.
    Kuronatbone1UnderstandMouseMagicsarevok57
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    I loathe 'Horror'. That damned low level spell has caused me more reloads than any other spell. A second level spell that can transform my entire party into a bunch of Sir Robins soiling their armour and running away like little girls is A#1 on my excrement list. Even if you manage to survive it, your party is likely scattered over the entire map and fighting every random encounter within a few hundred yards. Wicked, evil, naughty Horror...
    tbone1Tressetsarevok57
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

which spells do you hate being attacked with more than any others?

Comet.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

pretty sure the cloak of mirroring will only block the physical damaging spells from beholder rays, things like charm/hold will still go right through it, thats why if you have the cloak of mirroring and the shield of harmony, you are set
    ThacoBell