Skip to content

Ridiculous Reputation Loss

2»

Comments

• webspyderwebspyder Member Posts: 27
    fateless said:

these are the base numbers. Charisma changes it. I learned this trick long before EE actually. Your Charisma alters those thresh-holds. The chance that alignment is an issue becomes smaller the higher your charisma gets. it becomes bigger the lower it gets. your not educating me on anything. You can have it where they don't try to leave over reputation. or it happens very rarely(which is an issue more if your willing or not willing to reload) Or have them do it every time you get a rep point and your neutral guys will complain more as well.

I have not seen the behavior you describe. Regardless of charisma, good NPCs break at 4, neutral at 2, and evil at 19.

DreadKhan
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2017
    @fateless: I never knew Charisma affected it. Might be worth running a goody-two-shoes bard next time I want Dorn and Viconia and Jaheira and Khalid all in the same party

@webspyder: I got the low numbers right?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    In BG2 Vivonia brags about murdering farmers for the record.

Iirc, Cha can affect how long hostile NPCs will travel together, but this could be all in my head. If you rep exceeds a threshhold, NPCs will get angry and leave, don't think its cha based.
  • webspyderwebspyder Member Posts: 27
    Pokota said:

@webspyder: I got the low numbers right?

@Pokota With the way rep drops tend to be fairly big, it's hard to say for certain, but I do believe that is the behavior I observed. Khalid actually left my party with Jahira staying over low rep.

• fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    DreadKhan said:

In BG2 Vivonia brags about murdering farmers for the record.

Iirc, Cha can affect how long hostile NPCs will travel together, but this could be all in my head. If you rep exceeds a threshhold, NPCs will get angry and leave, don't think its cha based.

She doesn't actually brag. She goes into how she got her revenge on them for what they did to her. There is a bit of a difference. How you view that difference I'll leave up to you at this point. I'm not feeling the argument.

Charisma to really affect some things can take at least an 18 and tends to be more noticeable in the 19+ ranges. Things like complaining less or even not being upset from rep did happen in the game. Doing things like keeping some of the neutrals happy being a lot easier than keeping the evil's sated of course. I had an almost all good party on my last total playthrough so I can go through and try testing it with more evil characters in BGEE if you like.

But in the base game Edwin was one of my heavily used mages. And I wish I could remember how to put Edwin and Dynaheir into the same party still. Because the two of them were a major powerhouse combination.
    Per the manuals, Neutrals get unhappy at 20 but they don't break at a Good-aspected reputation. Only at an Evil-aspected one. (see: Baldur's Gate manual, section 9d)
    DreadKhan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Thats a bit subjective, but she very much sounds gloating over her 'revenge' imho, not really detatched from it.

I don't think Cha has any effect on the Reputation based breaks, but I and some others do suspect it keeps infighting to the minimum.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cha and Rep reduce the chances of fighting and can delay incompatible party members from coming to blows, but there is no way around rep breaks without mods.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited August 2017
    @fateless

I've just has Edwin/Dynaheir in party together. You just pick up Minsc then Edwin and pick the option "we'll decide later whether to kill her ect."

Then when you rescue her, the option, "I need both your skills". At that point my cha was 16.
    It also works if you rescue Dynaheir first, then talk to Edwin.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Going back to the original topic, I was surprised how this one played out when I experienced it recently. I met Lena and agreed to help her by picking up Samuel (And boy was he heavy. Everyone had to switch their equipment around, the guy carrying him had to take his armour off and give it to someone else). I then went to 'accidentally' bump into the Flaming Fist guy because I figured I was on a good quest so if he tried to stop me I could kill him with no REP loss (and I'll happily accept any excuse to kill the Flaming Fist).

The dialogue at this point is really funny (I think it tips its hat to Monty Python). But it didn't work out how I thought it would. I killed the Flaming Fist guy (yay!) and got a set of Plate Armour (yay!) that no one was strong enough to carry (boo!) and lost 6 REP (ouch!).

Considering there are at least two other points in the game where you can dispatch Flaming Fisters with no loss of reputation (and in one of those cases you get three-for-the-price of one) I do think it is odd that if you are doing a nominally good deed and trying to save Samuel's life you can still lose 6 REP here.
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I reckon the Flamin Fist takes desertion pretty darn serious then. Just under orders then. The other three boys you mentioned are a little heavy handed, same with Viccy's guy so kinda makes sense with them
    Since they dont have pick up trucks Id say they aught to be toolin around in a wagon all jacked up and half drunk, harassin everybody they meet. ;)
    Permidion_StarkThacoBell