Skip to content

Which keys do you NOT use as hot keys?

Here is the deal: I'm working on a mod function that's best started by pressing some kind of key on the keyboard. I could do it with an icon from the abilities bar, but that comes with issues. So I'm casting a broad net to ask: given that people can assign keys as they like, what's left? Which keys do YOU never touch in the games? Is it something in the F bar? The Num panel? Or maybe Return/Enter? Or something else?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The most convenient buttons are on the left side because most people use the mouse with their right hand and would have their left hand close to the pause button (I use my thumb, but people on desktops instead of laptops probably use their index or middle fingers).

Q, W, A, Z, C, X, and G are already mapped to certain actions by default (plus J, I, Y, H, U, O, L, and P on the right side), and R and T are important for console-related purposes because CTRL-R heals the target and CTRL-T advances time by 1 hour. This leaves E, S, D, F, V, and B on the left, and N, K, and M on the right.

I find "F" to be the easiest hotkey to press. I've also used D and E since my middle finger rests on them.

Bear in mind that the player should just be able to re-map any hotkey they already have, in case it conflicts with your mod. If I were you, I'd make the hotkey either F, D, E, or V. The first three are probably best for laptop users; the last is probably best for desktop users. For lefties, I'm guessing K or M would be most convenient.

It should be possible to let the player pick the hotkey by tweaking your WeiDu script.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Since I posted, I've learned that HOTKEY.IDS (the game file that stores custom hot key values) only lists A-Z, though it's not clearly impossible that others may not be assigned. But everyone is still welcome to say what keys they use, the in-game options have many more choices.

It should be possible to let the player pick the hotkey by tweaking your WeiDu script.

If they want to edit the BAF file, I'm going to include the instructions how. Right now, though, I can't get custom keys to work for me at all, just what is assigned inside the game, so I can't even test my special command.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It would be easier if you could tag it to a shift+anything combination since they are not used. I would like to mention that a lot of scripting mods and npc mods already use the ones that are not used by the default game.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Oh, I know. I'm considering alternatives. But I'm sure that shift with hotkeys is impossible.