Skip to content

Your first time through chapter 4

How did you feel the first time you played through chapter 4 with the asylum, the City of caverns and all? What did you think was going to happen storywise and did you think it should have been different?

The first time I played this game I was fourteen. And I had a really... uneasy feeling about the chapter. I had no idea where the story was going and it felt like the game was slowly slipping out of my control. I mean, Irenicus ran off with my soul. I wasn't sure if Imoen was actually sane again or if she might snap. I couldn't decide for myself where to go. I'm turning into this weird monster I can't control. I'm alienating my party and having sinister dreams that urge me to abandon them and just go insane.

At that point I worried that it might actually happen. That I would have to play to the end-game abandoned by friends and with a charname that I couldn't entirely control. Now I think it could have been kind of neat if Charname just descended into this evil madness and you had to drag yourself through it all to find Irenicus before it was too late. Back then I didn't like this thought at all.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I ended up skipping the Sahuagin city, not knowing it was there. But when I realized I was in the Underdark, I was terrified to go on. I only ever heard how many times my dad's party wiped there when he played pnp back in the day. To this day, its still my favorite part of the series.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I remember clearly the first time my character transformed into the Slayer. I wasn't at all happy about it. It suddenly turned the character into someone I didn't want to be or want to play. I've always really disliked the whole Cthulhu thing so when I suddenly turned into a creature that looked like it slithered straight out of that mythos some of the magic just went out of the game for me.

I know it makes sense in plot terms, you are a child of Bhaal after all, and if you are a descendant of the Lord of Murder you will have some pretty impressive inner demons, but after that point I really found myself playing to find out what happened rather than because I was enjoying it.
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    I think anytime a game or book or movie or any form of media can impart feelings, whether they are feelings you want or not, they have done their job. I don't have to agree with the story 100%, nobody ever will. Rarely have I read a book, or seen a movie where I was completely in agreement with its presentation.

Take the story for what it is, for bad or for worse and let yourself enjoy. If you spend the whole day analyzing a story arc and picking it a part, you can find fault in all things.

I love chapter 4 just like I love all the other chapters in the whole series. I did feel helpless when I turned into the slayer and honestly I feel like that was what they were going for.

Just my thoughts, sorry about the rambling. :#
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    @ThacoBell - I ended up in the City of caverns precisely because I tried to avoid the Underdark, even though I didn't know much about it. Also, I didn't quite understand the logic behind going down there in the first place.

@RVNS - well, I never said that I didn't like chapter 4, or that it was bad and should be different. Or that I spent the whole day picking it apart. It's just an interesting part of the game where the story could have taken several different paths. Discussing the story and those paths it didn't take doesn't mean that you didn't enjoy the game.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @UnderstandMouseMagic I just laughed loud enough at that thought that I woke up a twelve year old beagle.

My first thought was “Oh crap”. Back in my PnP days, one of the DMs bough a module where the climax was fighting a sahuagin invasion. It must have been this one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Enemy

It wasn’t as tough as I thought, I think with the old module we were a bit under leveled.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I'd never played D&D, (still haven't) so every monster was a surprise.

I never really knew whether the makers were taking the micky with the Beholders and Illithids, Beholders in particular.
    The Sahuagin came across as the cherry on the cake, all part of a massive joke that the writers had going on and making up stuff as they went.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I think a problem with D&D is that every dumb monster anyone could think up got thrown into it. And for me sahuagin are about the dumbest. I don't know why but land sharks just seem beyond stupid to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

I think a problem with D&D is that every dumb monster anyone could think up got thrown into it. And for me sahuagin are about the dumbest. I don't know why but land sharks just seem beyond stupid to me.

I see the potential for a sahuaginado module here. Though I've always liked the look of the sahuagin in that mosaic before you get to the sahuagin city.
    I LOVE D&D's propensity for dumb monsters. There is more than one kind of "cool". I miss a lot of the goofier designs of 1st. ed.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

So you don't like bulettes?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    First time through:

All I remember is being transported into the maze with Haer'Dalis dead and pretty much all my spells exhausted.

When Bohdi, gave me the time warning, I started grinding through the first level of the maze as quickly as possible.

When my entire party was near death, I finally gave up, saved and rested having Aerie, my romantic partner memorize all healing spells and one raise dead for Haer.

After resting, Aerie said something along the lines "you dont look well my love," where I proceeded to turn into an uncontrollable slayer, chunking her. Minsc went berzerk and also got himself killed while I hustled Imoen and Anomen as far away to safety as possible.

I was like wtf just happened as I paused the game attempting to grasp the situation.

I had to go back to my auto save but I determined I was under leveled for the area and restarted the entire game.

Two things I hardly ever do now because of it:

1. Take Haer'Dalis (although I have broken that as I got better at the game)
    2. Never ever rest in the asylum, ever.
    deltago said:

First time through:

All I remember is being transported into the maze with Haer'Dalis dead and pretty much all my spells exhausted.

When Bohdi, gave me the time warning, I started grinding through the first level of the maze as quickly as possible.

When my entire party was near death, I finally gave up, saved and rested having Aerie, my romantic partner memorize all healing spells and one raise dead for Haer.

After resting, Aerie said something along the lines "you dont look well my love," where I proceeded to turn into an uncontrollable slayer, chunking her. Minsc went berzerk and also got himself killed while I hustled Imoen and Anomen as far away to safety as possible.

I was like wtf just happened as I paused the game attempting to grasp the situation.

I had to go back to my auto save but I determined I was under leveled for the area and restarted the entire game.

Two things I hardly ever do now because of it:

1. Take Haer'Dalis (although I have broken that as I got better at the game)
    2. Never ever rest in the asylum, ever.

There's not much else to say here except,

"Oh dearie me, never mind, better luck next time".

However it did make me laugh.

I do miss that element of the game where because you don't know the game, things go catastophically wrong and then go wrong a bit more just to make sure.
    edited October 2017
    @deltago
    that rest is scripted. You can safely rest until a certain location, and then its only that one time that it causes the transformation.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ThacoBell said:

@deltago

that rest is scripted. You can safely rest until a certain location, and then its only that one time that it causes the transformation.
    Still, scarred for life.
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    Well I almost reached to the end of chapter 4 for the first time and boy oh boy.... was it interesting. My overall feeling for the entire chapter is kinda long but I'll shorten it to the best of my abilities.

Chapter 4 was just a roller coaster of emotions for me really. I mean starting with finding Imoen in Brynnlaw, the attempt to get to spellhold was interesting because it was like "really another quest to go to spellhold" I mean after helping the shadow thieves... I kinda wanted Imoen back.
    But the quests were well done in fact. I enjoyed it... it's like desperately doing whatever you must to get to Imoen but I didn't rush it... because simply I like to read over the dialogue a lot ;)

Then spellhold. I took the way in as a deviant and it was jokes seeing Tiax back... it's funny because I didn't like him in bg1, but I giggled when I saw him again (same with feldorn and Xzar) But Irenicus' damn he was slick in his plans... I mean I was spoiled a bit by the story and throughout chapter 4 I understood why everyone liked him as a villain. He's honestly the best character in the game. I enjoyed the cutscenes with him. But yoshimo..... damn bro I'm still hurt over that. at first when it was revealed yoshimo as Irenicus' puppet I was pissed, but then as you fight him for the final time and told you about the geas and he accepted his fate. I saw him as a complete badass... Yoshimo's character development was prefect in chapter 3 to chapter 4. (The little hints in the banters, the random outbursts in dialogue) Also Saemon Havarian, honestly Saemon is too funny for you to be mad at him. First he snakes you by going on Bodhi's side and he snakes you again by giving you a silver blade which leads to an ambush and snakes you again by selling you out to the githyanki. And then says to you "good luck in your travels" as the ship is breakign about and then ditches you while he swims away. When I saw that I couldn't stop laughing, like damn this guy is the prefect pirate... his sleezy dialogue, him being a smart mouthed idiot and just being plain witty.

Now I'm at the Sahuagin City. I currently like this bonus addition to chapter 4 to help these guys out. But so far chapter 4 in baldur's gate 2 has to be the best written chapter in both games so far.

Well I almost reached to the end of chapter 4 for the first time and boy oh boy.... was it interesting. My overall feeling for the entire chapter is kinda long but I'll shorten it to the best of my abilities.

Chapter 4 was just a roller coaster of emotions for me really. I mean starting with finding Imoen in Brynnlaw, the attempt to get to spellhold was interesting because it was like "really another quest to go to spellhold" I mean after helping the shadow thieves... I kinda wanted Imoen back.
    But the quests were well done in fact. I enjoyed it... it's like desperately doing whatever you must to get to Imoen but I didn't rush it... because simply I like to read over the dialogue a lot ;)

Then spellhold. I took the way in as a deviant and it was jokes seeing Tiax back... it's funny because I didn't like him in bg1, but I giggled when I saw him again (same with feldorn and Xzar) But Irenicus' damn he was slick in his plans... I mean I was spoiled a bit by the story and throughout chapter 4 I understood why everyone liked him as a villain. He's honestly the best character in the game. I enjoyed the cutscenes with him. But yoshimo..... damn bro I'm still hurt over that. at first when it was revealed yoshimo as Irenicus' puppet I was pissed, but then as you fight him for the final time and told you about the geas and he accepted his fate. I saw him as a complete badass... Yoshimo's character development was prefect in chapter 3 to chapter 4. (The little hints in the banters, the random outbursts in dialogue) Also Saemon Havarian, honestly Saemon is too funny for you to be mad at him. First he snakes you by going on Bodhi's side and he snakes you again by giving you a silver blade which leads to an ambush and snakes you again by selling you out to the githyanki. And then says to you "good luck in your travels" as the ship is breakign about and then ditches you while he swims away. When I saw that I couldn't stop laughing, like damn this guy is the prefect pirate... his sleezy dialogue, him being a smart mouthed idiot and just being plain witty.

Now I'm at the Sahuagin City. I currently like this bonus addition to chapter 4 to help these guys out. But so far chapter 4 in baldur's gate 2 has to be the best written chapter in both games so far.

I really enjoyed reading this. :)
    So good to read a players first time impressions of the game.
    Let us know how you get on with the rest of the chapter.

It reminds you just how damn good BG/BG2 is.
    And of course why oh why can't somebody/anybody make something comparable.

*coughsodcough*
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Before I started playing BG2 my expectations were really high. But currently it's even surpassed my expectations of the game. The game is OUTSTANDING, easily my favourite game of all time.

But as for chapter 4 I finished it currently and I'm at the underdark.
    I took Prince villynaty's side to fight the king for the Sahuagin people. King whatever-his-name-is was too crazy and too blind to be king. But prince villynaty was a massive jerkwad lmao, glad to see he doesn't backstab you and rewards you nicely for helping him out. I only wish I had the wave blade from villynaty :(

Now I await to see what the underdark brings to me :)
    @inkblowout Spoiler for the wave blade
    You can pickpocket it off Vilynaty after helping him.

I'm really curious to see what you think of the Underdark. Its my favorite part of the whole series, but a good chunk of players hate that part of the game.

Oh no, no, no.
    You have no idea what you have started here. Let me enlighten you.

Lion versus Tuna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4wykeJBHdE

I rest my case.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

land sharks just seem beyond stupid to me.

It worked for Saturday Night Live.

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    I was bored by the end of the underdark and just wanted it all to end. I loved the first chapters, but it was maybe 200 hours of game time in about a month so yeah.