Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I've only ever beaten the final SoD fight once - and since I didn't know what I was doing the conversation options I followed led to Caelar joining Belhifet as a blackguard. To balance that, however, Hephernaan was executed - which seemed like a decent trade-off to me. You might want to consider @semiticgod if that would be a preferable set up for your party.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Grond0 said:

It's nice when a plan works out perfectly, but it's always more thrilling when it doesn't work out, but you pull through somehow anyway B).

Normally I'd agree; the most exciting fights I've had are those where stuff goes wrong. But this case was different: my reaction to those events was pure horror.
    Arctodus said:

I don't know, @Grond0. Her gear is perfect to counter all the worse things that can happen in this fight, she has a lot of hp and she hits really hard. I believe that, in a poverty challenge, Caelar should be allied with - but not taken in the group, obviously. She probably can give you a few rounds of freedom that should allow you to cast your Lower Resistances, for instance.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge @Arctodus. I don't really know what Hephernaan brings to the fight, but was fearful of mage spells that couldn't be countered in a poverty run - whereas Caelar is almost entirely hack and slash (so if you can avoid Belhifet you can avoid him as well).
    OK. Thanks @Enuhal. The few times I've been there I've never fought him either - I just poison and run away (though I have noted that the elevator doesn't seem to activate until after Hepharnaan's dialogue has triggered).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Enuhal: So, you don't have to actually fight Hephernaan to complete the quest? Do you have to even confront him in the third area, or can you just place the barrel of Bwoosh in the first area (with the Water Elemental), poison the food and water in the second area (the one with the trolls?), and then scurry back to the Coalition camp?
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 918
    edited November 2017
    @semiticgod Indeed, fighting Hephernaan is not needed. Once you poison the supplies, three things will happen: Hephernaan will start to enter the room in order to confront you, a couple of crusaders will spawn at the elevator to investigate, and the elevator will be blocked from use. The elevator will become available again and you can flee once Hephernaan spots you and opens dialogue (this is according to @Grond0) - in my run, he wasn't even close enough to throw a spell when talking to me, as I had everyone hastily make their way to the elevator right away (and he was also distracted by summons), so I could safely get away. I also killed the guards spawning at the elevator, and I thought this was actually the requirement to make the elevator available again, but according to @Grond0 , it's simply Hephernaan talking to you (which I can't 100% confirm, but killing the guards (traps might be extremely helpful there) and Hephernaan talking to you should definitely do it).

I might just do some quick testing to find out what how exactly things work down there.

Edit: @Grond0 is right - once Hephernaan talks to you, you can use the elevator, not even a single guard needs to be killed.
    semiticgoddessGrond0StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 918
    @semiticgod Sadly, I have no idea what exactly the effects are, and I have no comparison to non-poisoned crusaders, as I've always applied the poison in my previous runs. Several guides mention the poison "weakening" the crusaders, and there's an ingame comment during the battle that they seem a bit sluggish, but I'm not sure how that translates into actual stats (I'd guess levels, thac0 and/or hp might be lowered).
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov