Skip to content

Swashbuckler AC monster..?

2»

Comments

• naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2017
    -20 should be easy. I played around for a few minutes and got my kensai / fighter to -21 fairly easy.
    I think a drow full plate +5 and ring of Gaxx would have given it a few more.

Hm. It appears there's a hardcap at AC -26. With this setup I should be at -28.
    If I add or remove the cloak of sewers or Dak'kon's Zerth Blade the AC stays at -26

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited November 2017
    Grond0 said:

@naggert I think the hard cap is at -20, but there are some adjustments that ignore the cap as set out earlier in the thread (they include dexterity which is why you get to -26 above).

Here's an illustration with a test character I rolled up. The AC from the various adjustments should be -29, but it's restricted to -28, which is made up of the cap at -20, -6 for dexterity and -2 for single weapon proficiency.

@Grond0 I just found this while browsing the Swashbuckler article in the Baldur's Gate wiki. I quote it exactly as it was given: "Please note that -24 AC is a hard in-game cap in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition for non-warrior classes (-26 for warrior classes)."

That must be why @naggert could not go beyond -26.

Though I can't explain how you got to -28. Maybe single weapon proficiency gave an additional -2.
    Post edited by Rik_Kirtaniya on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Arunsun said:

Well the wikia would be wrong then.
    The hardcap is definitely at - 20, +dex bonus (up to - 6), +single weapon style bonus (up to - 2) (+specific AC) so if you have 25 dex and 2 pips in single weapon style you may indeed reach - 28 (before specific AC is taken into account).

Yes. I suspect someone testing AC for the Wiki used a non-warrior with a -4 dexterity bonus and a warrior with a -6 dexterity bonus (or possibly a -2 single weapon bonus) and assumed the difference was due to the class rather than some adjustments ignoring the cap.
    StummvonBordwehrRik_Kirtaniyalolien
    Okay I think the cap is set at 24 for non-warrior classes as the wiki says. My toon have the -2 AC reward from hell, ending up with -26.

Also, there should be an undocumented feature of the AC cap where the -2 bonus from proficiency points in single weapon style allows you to go over the -24 cap, up to -26... Or 28 with the Hell Bonus...
    @Grond0 did you add the -2 AC from Hell trials to your test-character? That would explain the AC of -28.
    naggert said:

Okay I think the cap is set at 24 for non-warrior classes as the wiki says. My toon have the -2 AC reward from hell, ending up with -26.

Also, there should be an undocumented feature of the AC cap where the -2 bonus from proficiency points in single weapon style allows you to go over the -24 cap, up to -26... Or 28 with the Hell Bonus...
    @Grond0 did you add the -2 AC from Hell trials to your test-character? That would explain the AC of -28.

@naggert the cap is at -20 and not affected by character class. My test character above was created in Jon's dungeon and removing the benefits from dexterity and single weapon proficiency brings his AC down to -20 (it would be -21 except for the cap).

You can confirm the position for yourself on your own character:
    - reduce dexterity to 14 or below using EEkeeper
    - add equipment that should give AC better than -20 and note that it's restricted to -20
    - add back dexterity of 25 to see AC improve to -26 (and single weapon if you want to get to -28)
    - I suspect that the hell trial bonus comes within the -20 cap, but you can confirm whether that's the case if you run this test
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Grond0 said:

- I suspect that the hell trial bonus comes within the -20 cap, but you can confirm whether that's the case if you run this test

Indeed this, and every single source of AC except dexterity, single weapon style and specific AC, counts towards the - 20 cap
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessAerakar
    edited November 2017
    Grond0 said:

the cap is at -20 and not affected by character class

Hm so it would appear. So a softcap at -20 and hard around -30 depending on the hell trial?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    naggert said:

Grond0 said:

Hm so it would appear. So a softcap at -20 and hard around -30 depending on the hell trial?
    A softcap....? Well, that's indeed a nice way to put it! :smiley:
    lolien
    naggert said:

Grond0 said:

The -20 cap applies to every class (and includes the hell trial bonus). In the unmodded game all classes except wizard slayers can get to dexterity 25 using potions, pushing AC down to -26. Some classes can't get a single weapon bonus at all and some can only put one pip in this. Classes that are able to put 2 pips in it can get to the best possible basic AC of -28. After that of course you can apply specific weapon adjustments as well as various spell effects to improve things further.
    Rik_KirtaniyalolienAerakarthar_thaazdhen