Skip to content

Can I add custom party members back after dropping them (temporarily)?

I was planning to make a custom 6-member party when the given problem arose in my mind. Suppose I want to do the quests: Planar Sphere, Saving the Wild Mages, or Rasaad's Heretic Temple quests, I'd need to have Valygar, Neera and Rasaad respectively in my party, even if temporarily. [Though one has the option to kill Valygar instead, I'd rather not like to do that to that good man.] Then, after finishing the quests, I'd say them Good-Bye. But the problem is that I'd have to drop one of my custom characters. Is there any way to add them back after finishing those quests, because they simply seem to leave to God-knows-where? Can I find them at the Copper Coronet or at least ask them to wait where I had left them?

[By the way, it's so boring to play with custom characters, because they are so devoid of life, and don't have all those interesting dialogues; the only reason I'm planning to play with them is to have a party of my choice.]

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    They vanish entirely; you can't get them back. But there are four ways to get around this:

1. Get them petrified by an enemy spell or a basilisk (doesn't work if you yourself petrify them) and then un-petrify them when you want them back.
    2. Kick them out of the party inside an area you seldom visit and then hurry outside before they can go up and ask you if you want them to leave. Then you can go back inside and re-recruit them when you want them back.
    3. Export the character before you boot them out and then import them into an empty slot when you want them back. This only works in multiplayer mode, but you can actually copy and paste your save file into the multiplayer folder to enable this, load up the multiplayer save and import the character, save the game, and then copy and paste your new save file back into the single player save folder.
    4. Download and the install the mod (I don't know the name, unfortunately) that change the reform party dialogue so that player-created characters no longer vanish after being booted from the party.

The second method is generally the easiest, as it only requires you to drop off your character in a room you can later revisit.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks a lot @semiticgod! I agree that the second method is the easiest and that's what I'll do for now. However, if anyone can inform me of the whereabouts of the aforementioned mod, I shall be really grateful.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

They vanish entirely;

Is that a bug with BG2? Because they don't seem to vanish in BG1.
    Dev6 said:

They vanish entirely;

Is that a bug with BG2? Because they don't seem to vanish in BG1.
    Seems like it's a bug. In any case, this should be fixed in the un-modded game, so that people can conveniently play with custom parties and at the same time don't miss out on those quests. Perhaps they can make those custom characters wait at the Copper Coronet after they have been dropped?
  • naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    @Rik_Kirtaniya did you find a solution? Because I kinda have an answer:
    Export the character you're about to kick, then remove all their gear and kick them. Once you're done abusing Valygars corpse you can copy your Singleplayer save game to a Multiplayer. From there you can reform the party and add back the 6'th member. Once done, copy the MP save back to SP :)

This also works if you want to change your main protagonist. Like if you dont want your main paladin to become fallen during hell trials :)
    naggert said:

@Rik_Kirtaniya did you find a solution? Because I kinda have an answer:
    Export the character you're about to kick, then remove all their gear and kick them. Once you're done abusing Valygars corpse you can copy your Singleplayer save game to a Multiplayer. From there you can reform the party and add back the 6'th member. Once done, copy the MP save back to SP :)

This also works if you want to change your main protagonist. Like if you dont want your main paladin to become fallen during hell trials :)

Thanks for the suggestion @naggert. :) But I think @semiticgod already mentioned this strategy in point 3 of the first comment after the original post.