Skip to content

After Baldur's Gate, is there anything out there worth playing?

BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
As per topic.

I've been playing Baldur's Gate for the better part of 17 years now, and I have long felt like it's time to move on. Yet whenever I try something new, I find myself wishing I was playing BG instead. And it is making me legitimately depressed.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I've grown up. And like most grown-ups, my days are packed with work, family and social obligations and the like. Unsurprisingly, I've become very stingy with my free time. Whenever I do get the chance to sit down and play, I want to make sure I enjoy it to the fullest. And this is when my dilemma sets in.

Most of the time, I find myself making the conservative choice of simply starting a new playthrough of Baldur's Gate. Looking for and trying out new options just strikes me as a daunting task that's most likely to end in disappointment, a true fool's errand.

My disappointment with some (relatively) recent, hyped-up titles such as Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera have admittedly contributed to my cynicism. I genuinely tried my best to enjoy Pillars, but after 60 hours and 10 levels, it just came off as bland, soulless imitation of its spiritual predecessor. With TToN, I couldn't even get past the 10 hour mark. I found myself exausted by the dull verbosity and the general blandness of it before I could even get a proper feel for the story.

Shame on me, I know, but I just couldn't justify spending several month's worth of free nights on something with the initial fun-factor of perusing a phone book.

In fact, the last time I genuinely enjoyed playing a new title was when Mass Effect 3 came out. But even that was more than five years ago.

So why not just keep playing BG then, you might ask? Well, there is something in me, some remnant of sanity from my younger days, that is desperately thirsty for new and fresh gaming experiences. No matter how I look at it, there is something profoundly sad about being hooked on a game that is almost two decades old. My dad likes to watch reruns of old TV shows like M*A*S*H, and I always thought that made him seem old and boring. But now I find myself doing the same thing with a crpg from 1998. Like father, like son I guess.

Any insight/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

AstafasOrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]ShYarivmackosBelgarathMTHIllustairJuliusBorisovSkatan

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    OrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i have this exact problem myself, ever since 1999 to about 2012ish i was addicted to the BG series, ( and when i say i've played thousands of play throughs that is not even remotely sarcastic )

and then the EEs came out and freshened up the game a bit ( because since bg1 vanilla was so old it was struggling to keep up with newer hardware although bg2 had no problem )

and although i didnt play them as religiously as i did back in the day i was still going strong from 2012 to about earlier this year

but when 2017 came by, i started losing my lust for the BG series, i loved the BG series like a mother would lover their child but as what happened to you, i wanted something new, i wanted to move on to something better

but then i had the exact same problem, everytime i tried something new, i just couldnt hold up to the BG series, and i would find myself getting bored and just wanting to go back to the BG series

but it's been months since last i played a BG game, everytime i start a game i just cant even finish the character creation screen, i get mid way, and then just turn the game off, i cant do it anymore, and even mods cant save me, i find them to unbalancing and game breaking and some making the game unnecessarily harder than it needs to be, bleh, the best part about the BG series for me is that is was just fine the way it was with no mods added to make it better

but alas, i have found something that cures the itch a little bit, although not to the extent that BG does, but i have been enjoying myself with it so far and that is: Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir

although the main problem with this game is that it's a very niche game, and it might be hard to cater to certain people, but it caters to me just perfectly, it's funny, in the beginning i never liked it, it looked like too much thinking too much effort too much bleh, but i persisted and i tried it again and again and again, and finally i got a hang off what was going on and quite enjoyed myself, even funnier is that a lot of people dont like this game for certain aspects and the ironic thing is; those things that the people dont like is what i like about this game

so if you are looking for something new, try out NWN2 SoZ, i think i bought the whole NWN2 collection on GoG.com for like 10 bucks? something cheap like that

but with that all said and done the only other thing that could be happening is that you are becoming an adult and video games just dont appease you any more, because you are growing out of them ( i think that is the problem that i am having at 30 )

from what i can recall back in the day when games were made, they were made to be fun especially in times when hardware was a huge limitation on what developers could, and fun was a big selling point of a game, and that's probably the reason why a lot of people are nostalgic for those older games, remembering how much fun they were back in the day

now a days i feel games arent made for fun any more, the are solely made for corporate greed and money, its all about the money, money money money, keep bringing in that money, now while i do agree companies need to make money to keep the game train going, it feels to me they are just sucking the money out of you, with games that are soulless bland and mediocre, with the selling point of games looking pretty

but i dont know, maybe i have no idea what im talking about and perhaps im just full of hot air, so my advice; give SoZ a try, if it can fill your niche than A+, if not, i got nothing
    OrlonKronsteenBelgarathMTHbrunardo
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I totally agree with you, feel much the same. And I continue to play my Baldur's games on constant repeat...

Neverwinter's Night 2 is worth trying out, if you haven't already - I really enjoy it. I also agree with KotOR 1 and 2. Then there is IWD 1-2, of course, as well as the original Planescape: Torment, if you missed them. I enjoyed Dragon Age 1 with expansion but not the others. A friend of mind really liked Tyranny but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Let me know if you find a solution!
    OrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I actually enjoyed Temple of Elemental Evil. It's not Baldur's Gate but if you use the Circle of 8 mod it fixes the bugs and makes it not only playable, but very enjoyable.
    AstafasOrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited November 2017
    I think a lot of us on here are in the same boat. The only RPGs I've enjoyed since BG are the KotOR games, as the others have mentioned. But even with those games, I played them once each and I was done. I've tried many other RPGs, including NWN, Dragon Age, PoE, etc,, etc., but was bored to tears for various reasons. I'm still enjoying BG, and I don't feel a damn bit guilty about it. That said, I may retire in the near future, to spend more time on other things.

As for advice, well, the only thing I might say is don't feel guilty about still enjoying BG. And as others have said, keep trying other games. You might try looking beyond RPGs, too. There are some atmospheric survival horror games out there, etc., and it looks like there are quite a few indie developers if you don't like commercial fare. I'd be trying a lot of these myself (e.g. Soma), if the first-person perspective didn't make me car sick (one of the reasons I prefer isometric and 3rd person in general).

Edit: I also enjoyed Jade Empire, I forgot to mention. But as with KotOR, I had no desire to play it twice.
    [Deleted User]
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I cant believe people who think DaO and NWN2 is better than PoE.

Anyways, I am not here to push my RPG preferences, but to suggest two great indie games; the Eschalon series and Paper Sorcerer.
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell[Deleted User]kanisatha
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    There's a NWN2 mod called Path of Evil.

Dragon Age Origins

Vampire Bloodlines

And that's it.
    [Deleted User]Redrake
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Same here, I feel like I'm losing my interest in games as well. Though on my part, perhaps it's more on that I have a lot of things to do that I feel guilty on playing games. Could that be the reason (and it's not particularly because of BG and the other games that you've tried, but playing games in general vis-a-vis life)? Perhaps the interest would return once we'll have the luxury of time? Anyway, my suggestion would be KotOR, it's right up there for me together with Jagged Alliance 2 (esp. with mods). With the BG series, they are my big 3. Not too far behind for me are the ME and NWN series. I really like ToEE too but for some reason, I always get bored midway. DaO was really enjoyable also -- I love its NPCs the most. I spent too much time modding the game though, restarting several times until I got bored; will try it again if I get the chance.
    [Deleted User]
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @typo_tilly A game about orcs you say? *immeidately downloads* Looks like O know what I'm playing my current BG run.

As for the OP. I have heard very good things about the Geneforge and Avernum series but have not played them yet myself.Have you tried the Ultima series? 4-6 is one of the better deconstructions of rpgs I've ever seen. with 7 and its expansion also being very good.
    [Deleted User]
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2017
    Nothing wrong with nostalgia.

Also for me, nothing really comes close. Everything is 3D now (which sucks, looking at nwn series) or has different controls or features I cannot agree with (combat, gear and lore puking in PoE) or a story I find boring (divinity, PoE).
    Sure bg can be improved but I'd rather play our clunky bg than games that state they are a spiritual successor where I have yet to discover any spirit (TToN, PoE).

It is probably just me though. I never play games anymore unless it is one of the old bg, Iwd, pst. I like SoD though and that is new. Modding is where it is at for me. Making the game feel new and fun in different ways.
    Post edited by lroumen on
    Astafas[Deleted User]Arctodus
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Spiritual successor without any spirit. You totally nailed it, @lroumen. :-D It's difficult to point out where PoE fails, but it does. I think it's mainly due to the game's total lack of humor.
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTHsmeagolheart
  • OxvaOxva Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
    In my opinion, Drakensang games are closer to the BG series than Dragon Age. You can check them, they are on Steam. There are 2 main games (Drakensang: The Dark Eye, Drakensang: The River of Time) and one expansion for the second one - Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret.
    OrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]NimranSkatan
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It is trying too hard to explain the lore and then it loses me as a player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    shadow warrior 2
    [Deleted User]DrakeICN
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@ThacoBell Yeah Natuk is fun. :) You can create a party of orcs, half-trolls, and half-ogres (or full ogres? *-)). The combat is unforgiving: you really need to form a defensive line and use walls to your advantage. You can also play for several hours before even making it out of the first caves area (what used to be the demo?) and seeing the world map! You'll spend a lot of time going through the help menu to find out how things work.

Good to know what I'm getting myself into.
    [Deleted User]
    ThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there's a game similar to Natuk called Helherron. It's not very good in the beginning but it gets pretty good later https://akuukka.github.io/helherron-web/
    [Deleted User]
    bob_veng
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    DrakeICN said:

I cant believe people who think DaO and NWN2 is better than PoE.

^This. PoE is an awesome game and as a long-time fan of the IE games I find plenty of the IE 'spirit' in it and do consider it to be a very worthy successor to the BG games. So, sorry OP, but I have to completely disagree with your premise as it applies to PoE.
    ThacoBellDesretAbi_DalzimOlvynChuru
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I can understand what you mean about Pillars. I played it for a few days when it came out, got sick of it and stopped. Then I decided to give it a second shot and try to at least finish it once, and once I really got into the story and game mechanics I had a lot of fun. But I don't feel like it has the same replay value as BG.

After playing the Pillars 2 beta I'm also super excited for that release. Instead of "dumbing down" they've actually added more skills and the ability to multiclass, which definitely adds to the replay value for me. It feels a bit closer to the old Fallout games with the increased number of skills and the way those skills opens up for more options of solving quests.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Reading this thread with interest.

But always read POE as,
    Pillar of Autumn.

I think maybe I have just disqualified myself from the club. :'(
    tbone1
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I think the list of best PC games by Metacritic can be a good indicator.

For example, Divinity: Original Sin II got 93 there, while BG2 got 95.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

But always read POE as,
    Pillar of Autumn.

j/k, never heard of Pillars of Autumn.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    dib said:

But always read POE as,
    Pillar of Autumn.

j/k, never heard of Pillars of Autumn.
    (sad face)

Halo, Combat Evolved.

Dominated this household for years...and years....and still does as far as my youngest son is concerned. He tells me about the latest Halo game, I tell him about BG.
    dib
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Raduziel said:

There's a NWN2 mod called Path of Evil.

Dragon Age Origins

Vampire Bloodlines

And that's it.

Totally forgot about Fallout.

Shame on me.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Ballad Fallout and Fallout 2 (+Restoration mods + Community Fixes) You won't be disappointed!
    Raduziel
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I guess there's two things that keep drawing me back to POE, honestly way more so than Baldur's Gate these days. First, the character building is way more involved, with the class features, talents, equipment, you can make all sorts of combinations that can all surprise you in their own ways. The inclusion of a diverse set of weapons, including guns, is also nice, and, again, provides a ton of different options for either mechanics or just the love of flavor. You want a plate-wearing, gun-wielding wizard? You can totally do that, and probably even find a way to make it work.

Also, as an amateur historian of sorts, I love the lore, because I recognize the constituent parts and how they make a whole, but not always in such obvious ways. There's lots of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon influences everywhere, and when you combine that with a grasp of history and see the parallels, it's fascinating. The Eastern Reach is a North America analogue, which makes the Glanfathans Native Americans, while the Aedyrans who settle and found the Dyrwood are the Anglo-Americans. But then you notice that the Glanfathans themselves have the most obvious Celtic influences, and Aedyr actually seems Germanic in its culture, which reminds you of the post-Roman settlement of England by Saxons and Angles and Jutes, and you see the cycle of colonization and forced assimilation. And that's just the broad contours of that, you can keep looking deeper and deeper and it's just engrossing, at least for me.
    kanisathaThacoBell