Skip to content

"Best" Good Party Mage ?

124»

Comments

• DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2017
    I've been adventuring around with Branwen for some time now since the decisions above and I find her capable and not annoying. Not terribly interesting either - but I can live with that.

Dumped Ajantis for Kivan. Much less annoyance there. The whole whispering angst and need for revenge bit is much more satisfying then the Helm's Boy Scout act.

Also have been satisfied with the replacement of Neera with Dynaheir - the archaic speech / mannerisms are much better for immersion than the Good Golly Jeepers ! vibe.

It took some doing but it seems that there are good party combinations that are tolerable in BG1.

My current line-up:

PC (Sorcerer)
    Minsc
    Kivan
    Branwen
    Imoen
    Dynaheir

Characters are not as "personality rich" as my evil party but doing a run with good gives me some dialogue and quest options I did not explore with evil.
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    An interesting divine caster is Faldorn.

I do not know where you are up to in your run, so it may be too late to get her now that your party is "settled," but it is something to keep in mind. Faldorn is way more hardcore in her personal outlooks than the likes of Branwen, but her actual voice set is extremely soothing and pleasant to listen to. For all the hate she gets, being annoying is a complaint I have never heard against her.

She will get along well with both Minsc and Kivan (as fellow nature-protectors), and won't come into conflict with the rest of your lineup, so you may want to consider giving her a go at some point. Being a druid, she will be able to reach level 5 spells (the only divine caster in the game that can do that), and has a very good Summon Dread Wolf ability (which remains relevant throughout the entire game - the beast is very good).

She also has the tied-highest wisdom in the game (which you can beef up), so she can heal/summon very well. With the right gear, she can even off-tank in a pinch. In fact, if Minsc wasn't paired with Dynaheir, I would recommend swapping out Dynaheir for Faldorn, as you don't really need two arcane casters, but more healing/summoning is always great. Faldorn and Branwen work well together for such roles (as do Faldorn and Yeslick).
    tbone1
    Thanks for the tip Ranger.

Took a peek on the Wiki and she seems very interesting. True Neutral that looks really evil.

I'm popping around all the lesser areas just to explore and build up XP a bit before heading over to Cloakwood.

But once there, I'll definitely give her an audition for the Divine Caster role and see how she works out.
    Wandering_Ranger
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    Certainly. Feel free to leave feedback on what you thought of her.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    I generally stick to the "canon" party, so Imoen, Jaheira & Khalid and Dynaheir & Minsc is my party for most of the game, regardless of what class the protagonist is. Only exception usually is that I have to bring Safana along (since I need a Thief) while Imoen gains levels as Mage when dual-classing at Thief level 6. At that point I can bring in another short-term party member as well, who more or less always is Kivan.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    If you want to keep with the canon party, dual Immy at level 7, not 6. And at that point you should be able to have Alora, which is a way better thief than Safana.

My long standing good aligned party, was made out of PC, Minsc, Dyna, Imoen, Kivan and Yeslick.
    tbone1
    Redrake said:

dual Immy at level 7, not 6

Not sure about the level, actually. Don't have the AD&D 2nd ed tables in my head any longer. :-) But I generally dual her when she gains 40k xp as thief, that much I can tell.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I meant as far as BG2 is concerned she starts as a Level 7 Thief/ Level 8 Mage. You mentioned you wanted a canon party.
    Redrake said:

I meant as far as BG2 is concerned she starts as a Level 7 Thief/ Level 8 Mage. You mentioned you wanted a canon party.

Yep, and it turns out that 40k xp for thieves in AD&D 2nd ed is level 7;
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Tables

So yes, I dual-class her at thief level 7.
    @ Wandering_Ranger - I gave Faldorn a try all the way up to finding Yeslick.

Overall I found her more rewarding in terms of personality.

Her Eco-Warrior angst paired up well with Kivan's revenge angst.

It was fun to tap on each one of them and get a grunt or growl back at times. Good guys with "teeth" are quite refreshing.

I missed playing around with some of the magical blunt weapons and armor however for the Cleric so I am giving Yeslick a try for a while.

So far, he is "ok".

I got a little wary of Dwarves after spending some time with Kagain on my evil play-through.

That was a case of constant whining as opposed to the edgy growls I mentioned above.

I'll probably circle back and resume with Faldorn later in time from the spot I dropped her off.

Thanks for the recommendation - she is now a good alternative for all future runs.
    Wandering_Ranger