Skip to content

World Cup is OVER - let's share out thoughts together

1151617181921»

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Woop woop woop

Little Sweden kicks Italian butt and takes names. This is the fall of Rome all over again! xD
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I'm not surprised by the 1-0 result on aggregate. But I am totally surprised it's in Sweden's favor. Italy used to be the team that could score a breakaway goal and defend their narrow lead. And it's only the third time ever that Italy won't be represented in the World Cup.

In other news, Australia just beat Honduras to secure their qualification. The last qualifier will be between Peru and New Zealand tonight, European time. I kinda hope New Zealand wins because if they qualify, they will be seeded in the bottom layer and Denmark will be in the second seeding layer instead of the third. Peru on the other hand will be seeded in the second layer and push us down into the third. :wink:
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    edited November 2017
    Overall we lost because of an own goal, nevertheless a team that doesn't manage to score at least one goal against Sweden in 180' doesn't deserve to get to the WC (even if there will be much poorer teams than ours, still).
    Many things could have been done better: there is no point in aiming at high crosses against tall players (in fact our main chances from the sides came from low crosses), and for the same reason a player like Insigne would have been much more useful on the pitch. No wonder that the best chances came from the small Florenzi...

I really hope that this will be a trigger for a great change in Italian football, but I am afraid that this will be the n-th lost opportunity (already South Africa and Brazil WC should have started it). There is no sign of resignation from the president Tavecchio, someone who shouldn't have been elected in the first place, since during a public speech he showed all his openness by mentioning stranger players eating bananas (at least he meant the fruit).
    What kind of change can we expect from such management, and from the people who elected him nevertheless?
    All 32 qualified teams for the 2018 World Cup have now been found:

Africa:

Egypt
    Morocco
    Nigeria
    Senegal
    Tunisia

Asia:

Australia
    Iran
    Japan
    Saudi Arabia
    South Korea

Europe:

Belgium
    Croatia
    Denmark
    England
    France
    Germany
    Iceland
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Serbia
    Sweden
    Switzerland

North and Central America and the Caribbean:

Costa Rica
    Mexico
    Panama

South America:

Argentina
    Brazil
    Colombia
    Peru
    Uruguay
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    My first prediction:
    Panama won't be the winner!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited November 2017
    I'll create a new thread closer to the tournament, ofc, but for now, to me, Germany looks like the team that should win, with Argentina, France, Brazil, Spain and Portugal as runners up.
    The groups next year will be:

A
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Egypt
    Uruguay

B
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

C
    France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

D
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

E
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

F
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    Republic of Korea

G
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunisia
    England

H
    Poland
    Senegal
    Colombia
    Japan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    It's now less than one month till the tournament!

Let's gather the party before venturing into the new prediction thread. :)

In addition to the groups posted by Montresor_SP (and 48 matches there), here's the rest of the schedule:

Match Day Date KO Team/Group
    49 Sat 30-Jun 1900 1A v 2B
    50 Sat 30-Jun 1500 1C v 2D
    51 Sun 1-Jul 1500 1B v 2A
    52 Sun 1-Jul 1900 1D v 2C
    53 Mon 2-Jul 1500 1E v 2F
    54 Mon 2-Jul 1900 1G v 2H
    55 Tue 3-Jul 1500 1F v 2E
    56 Tue 3-Jul 1900 1H v 2G
    56 Tue 3-Jul 1900 1H v 2G

QUARTER FINALS

57 Fri 6-Jul 1500 W49 v W50
    58 Fri 6-Jul 1900 W53 v W54
    59 Sat 7-Jul 1900 W51 v W52
    60 Sat 7-Jul 1500 W55 v W56

SEMI FINALS

61 Tue 10-Jul 1900 W57 v W58
    62 Wed 11-Jul 1900 W59 v W60

THIRD PLACE PLAY-OFF

63 Sat 14-Jul 1500 L61 v L62

FINAL

64 Sun 15-Jul 1600 W61 v W62
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @JuliusBorisov Will the rules be the same or different this time?
    edited May 2018
    Let's decide. As I understand, we should use the most recent system from the Confederations Cup, especially this.