Skip to content

Testing Multiplayer in 2.5

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited December 2017 in The 2.5 Update Beta
Please, feel free to use this thread to start, define time and discuss Multiplayer sessions and your experience.

Attention everyone testing BG:EE!

The beta does not include SoD. So please, if you have SoD, uninstall it and run only BG:EE (with the blue interface) in order to test BG:EE.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2017
    For example, I'm going to participate in this myself and will roll a new character in unmodded Multiplayer (BG:EE without SoD) just now (called "Julius Plays"). Feel free to join!
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Oh. Is it recommended to roll a new character to test the beta?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    rede9 said:

Oh. Is it recommended to roll a new character to test the beta?

Anyway you (and others) want. I'm not available right now, though.
    @Enuhal and @Doubledimas you can continue without me as I don't have much time for it currently.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

@Enuhal and @Doubledimas you can continue without me as I don't have much time for it currently.

I was about to say the same :smile:
    Next time I'll try it without the Steam Overlay (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9394-yofv-0014), maybe it'll decrease the amount of crashes.

At least, the previous issue is solved.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Is there anything special we must do with Multiplayer for the Betas? I got a buddy trying to connect to my game through a Beamdog installation (he's done it before without the beta) and I am hosting Icewind Dale EE through a beta via Steam. We're both using a single mod, Song and Silence (which worked before as well) but for some reason he can not connect to my game, keeps timing out, despite the fact that we successfully have done this many, many times before.

Just curious if there is something I might be missing or not.
    If you are running the beta version and he's on v1.4, that difference in versions is probably the reason why you can't play together.
    edited December 2017
    Yesterday's but I reported is already submitted (in less than 24 hours!) https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34059#change-202002
    edited December 2017
    @Doubledimas This is not the case, we're both on 2.5.10.0
    Varwulf said:

@Doubledimas This is not the case, we're both on 2.5.10.0

Just checking :smile:. It is odd though, I was able to easily connect to Julius' game yesterday (as long as he did not crash) so there should not be anything special needed.

edited December 2017
    @Varwulf Please, uninstall the mod(s) and check an unmodded game(s). For the purpose of the beta, always check the unmodded game first.

BTW, it looks like I've found the reason of my crashing (Cloud Saves enabled on Steam -> crash; disabled -> no crash) - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34098
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited December 2017
    A couple of questions to understand your network configurations
    1. Have you both added the beta exe to any firewalls you have
    2. If you each start a Command Prompt (Win/R -> CMD), then type IPCONFIG and press Enter do you get lines for IPv4 and IPv6 shown, or just one of the two.
    edited December 2017
    @Doubledimas No worries, it's always good to make sure even if it's an obvious thing like versioning, haha.

@JuliusBorisov Sounds good, I guess with the call to "test the heck out of it, including with mods" I just assumed all was ready to go with mods too. Will take another stab at it this evening.

@Gate70 Yeah my ISP gives me an IPv6 address, IPCONFIG shows both, but I am still able to acquire my (non-local) IPv4 just fine and we were attempting to use that for direct connection of our game last night as well. He only has IPv4 and hails from another country than I do. We'll double check the beta exes are added to both our firewalls, pretty sure they were. He received a prompt with it when he launched his game for the first time (the beta) but I did not since mine are on steam and the firewall seemed to pick up on the fact that they were the same exe as I usually used (same directory). Still, it's worth double checking, so thanks for the insight.
    Post edited by Varwulf on
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

Yesterday's but I reported is already submitted (in less than 24 hours!) https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34059#change-202002

Will you push new beta build when things we report are fixed ?
    lefreut said:

Will you push new beta build when things we report are fixed ?
    Isn't a weekly patch schedule like with the PST:EE beta better?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

Isn't a weekly patch schedule like with the PST:EE beta better?

Of course, this is what I meant :) Weekly patch would be very cool.
    There're plans for a new build during the beta, but no schedule. It's different to the PST:EE beta.
    edited December 2017
    @JuliusBorisov So we tried Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, no mods, beta configured on Steam (for me) and Beamdog (for @Nyrox ). Same issue. We also reverted Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition back to vanilla (no mods) and did the same. Same results.

@Gate70 Still not sure if the IPv6 vs IPv4 thing is an issue, since it never was a problem in the past. However, Firewalls are allowing the beta exes through just fine.

At this point, I am completely oblivious as to what could be the problem here, especially since there was no problem before the betas.

Wouldn't make sense but--do the betas have different ports needing to be forwarded? Grasping at straws, I know...

Edit: Well, we tried it again randomly and it worked--randomly. One thing I will note is when we originally tried this, the check box for Local Network Game when creating a game for me wasn't working (it was just a slightly yellow box), but now that I ran it this second time, it showed up just fine. Same version of the game. Very weird.

Edit #2: And now it randomly isn't working again, he just keeps getting "Waiting for information from server" now like before. Very inconsistent and very difficult to comprehend.

Edit #3: Some more notes with this, we tried both using the beamdog client (me not using Steam), we tried Baldur's Gate beta (no mods) as well as Siege of Dragonspear (no mods, no beta), as well as Icewind Dale beta (no mods), and Icewind Dale beta (with mods) and even Icewind Dale (no beta, no mods). We tired direct connections as well as connecting through the Beamdog lobby, and everything was very inconsistent. We had exactly one successful connection of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (beta, with mods) through the lobby where we were able to load our characters in just fine and start the game. One portrait wasn't working, so we saved the game, fixed the portrait issue, loaded the game--and suddenly, no more connecting was achieved. We also had exactly one successful direct connection of Icewind Dale (no beta, no mods) that worked only once and every other attempt through direct connection/lobby failed. I really don't know what could be the culprit at this point, but it is very disappointing dumping hours of diagnosis into this without able to even test one thing yet...
    Post edited by Varwulf on
    If you can always connect to him, but he can only intermittently connect to you it might be to do with IPv6. Ports are unchanged.

Could you do the below please next time you experience this issue.
    • Close your games once you have reproduced the issue.
    • Open your documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (or whichever game)
    • Find your jingle.log files
    • Create a report on Redmine, attaching log files for both host and client
    It is possible, but probably not a good idea, to disable IPv6 on your network adaptor but that may cause you other issues. Again, probably not a good idea but it should be possible to make IPv4 the preferred protocol, e.g. towards the end of this article https://theitbros.com/ping-returns-ipv6-address-ping-ipv4
    @Gate70 Redmine ticket created, jingle.log details shared. Thanks for mentioning the jingle.logs, I wasn't aware that those were available.

Sadly, I'm not too keen on messing with my IPv6 settings when it is only these games causing me trouble, but I appreciate the suggestion :)
    That's fine, I probably wouldn't either.

Thanks for the report, will try and have a look tomorrow.
    @Gate70 That is super. According to the jingle.logs, from what I can see, IPv4 is being used so I am hesitant to think it's an issue related to IPv6.
    Reading back I see you mentioned having the same issue with Siege now, and IWD 1.4. If you have connection issues with those it indicates the issue is more specific to the two of you and not to any beta activity, although it is a pity the beta doesn't appear to help in any form.

& strange that you have connected in the past with no issue but using the non-beta version now does not seem to work very often. That sounds as though something has changed that you are unaware of.

The next steps I would try are
    Have you tried your friend being the host, and you connecting to them
    Both try connecting to another game, e.g. if Julius has a game open
    Have someone else connect to each of you

I'd be happy to help with the last step or two, but might be challenging to get a suitable time
    @Gate70 I was thinking the same thing, and personally, I am kind of leaning on some change on my friend's side that he isn't aware of. He tried hosting as well and the results were identical (we didn't try as many times with him as host and I was never able to connect, actually).

I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for Julius' game at some point and try to connect to it, but I also could simply message you too and see if you have some time available :)@Nyrox and I have completely different schedules (being on opposite sides of the Atlantic) so it might be a challenge to get him available around the same time I am when you are also available.

Let me rig up my Icewind Dale to no longer be modded and I'll see if I can message you to try this out.
    So I think it would be interesting to everyone.

Over the weekend, I've spend some time trying out MP in 2.5.10 (BG:EE).

My overall evaluation of MP in 2.5.10 is that it really has become much more stable now, - saving is now quick, just as if I play in SIngleplayer, the game doesn't lag while in inventory and switching items. During 4 hours of MP, I had only 1 occational crash (random), which is certainly much better than what it was before.

Sometimes during battles characters still teleport (both for the client and for the host) - sometimes you see an enemy at one place and the other second it's already next to your character, but I think it happens now rarer.

When party characters die the game doesn't seem to lag now, which was very bad before.

When both the host and the client use the Quick Loot, the game doesn't lag anymore.

There're certain bugs still in (which I will continue to report), but the overall feeling of playing MP in BG now is much more player-friendly. I'd compare it with playing IWD:EE (1.4) in Multiplayer (which before I considered the best MP experience in IE games).

I still haven't tried containers and thus cannot comment about duplication/lag issues which were present in 2.3.

Oh, and by the way, SCS v.30 works absolutely fine with 2.5.10, including Multiplayer.
    Everyone, here's the link to the Discord (an informal channel started by @Buttercheese and working as a hub for everything non-NWN:EE): https://discord.gg/aVnj5Ay
    Anyone willing to have a go at MP IWD:EE?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,708
    Ugh, is anyone experiencing constant crashes with MP IWD:EE? I wanted to play with friends AND test if my (and some other) mods work on new version, BUT we're having crash all the time. Like 4-5 crashes per 30 minutes. Is it because of mods (I played with them on previous version with a friend without any problem, so it would be weird), or is there something with stability of the game? @JuliusBorisov - have you tried it already? It's quite unplayable. I am going to make a seperate build without mods to test the issue with one of the friends, but I thought I would ask if someone else is having that kind of trouble.
    @LavaDelVortel It shouldn't crash, actually. So your problem is one of the following:

1) something mod-related (to check, you have to cut the contents of the override folder and download the fresh beta, - afterwards you'll have to paste the contents of the override folder back)
    2) Steam Cloud Saves (but there's currently no option for it in IWD:EE - still worth to check the baldur.lua file and set it to 0)
    3) Antivirus. This is something that has started to happen recently (about several months ago, - programs like BitDefender prevent changes in Documents, and thus lead to crashing). So please, disable your Antivirus, or find a way to add exceptions.

Also, to better understand the reason of your crash, run the program from cmd.exe - the log there will show what is happening just before the crash, and you can screenshot.