Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2017
    @Lotar I don't really have experience on first three questions, but hit&run tactic consists kiting the mob, and when you get a chance hit Bel (with +3 weapon), then pause immediately, drink invisibility potion and continue kiting. It's possible to do without invisibility I think, but it'll be very hard when they constantly teleport around you when they see you, so you might get trapped.

And welcome!
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited December 2017
    If you want to know how Mages can beat Big B @Lotar you have to ask @semiticgod. He gave a very detailed explanation which used several glitches like item duplication. I absolutely do NOT recommend things like that for this particular challenge but it shows in a creative way how far you can push the boundaries. ;)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40393/maybe-this-time-no-reload-thread-arbane-and-the-little-sword-that-could/p231

Like @histamiini said hit & run using Invisibility Potions works GREAT - it just needs some training. You will find several posts in this thread here. You just have to be quick so the demons wont get the chance surrounding you. With some Fighter classes like DD or Cavalier you can even tank Big B thanks to Potion of Power stacking and Durlags Goblet. ;)
    edited December 2017
    After this painful excursion into the realm of Clerics it might be time to play something that fits me more before maybe going on with Korgath in SoA or Eklun in ToB. It will be interesting to see how Krell the Half-Elf Fighter/Druid will deal with the upcoming challenges. Finally some Druid again. Nature is calling - maybe more! ;)

P.S. At least the Crusader Waves will be much easier for Druids as the past has shown. Well. Should be! :D
    In a no-reload setting Big B would be the HELL of a fight for pure Mages - pretty much like @semiticgod described.

P.S. Dont forget to protect against Fear aura otherwise your whole preparation will quickly become obsolete. :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Right, right. A Potion of Clarity would be mandatory if you're drinking Durlag's Goblet.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @histamiini, congrats on surviving that fix you were in! Careful with the bandits if you decide to fight them. Venkt does have that nice Spell Thrust scroll, which could be useful later on, but I find it one of the harder chapter end fights.
    @Grond0, I admire your realism (I'm more of a dreamer), and I'm intrigued by your ideas on using Otiluke's. Is there no risk of it getting dispelled?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    @Blackraven like I said I have zero direct knowledge about that fight with LoB. My understanding from what others have said is that dispel magic is only used in that fight at the start, but I may be wrong in that. I was assuming that a sorcerer would have access to spell immunity to protect against an initial dispel magic, though trying to keep such protection up throughout a fight would be more challenging.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2017
    Do I need to lug all wands with me? I know that Wand of Sleep is useless with LoB, but what about Ice or Fear?
    Looks like the only resistances Belhifet checks are fire and magic; he should be perfectly willing to attack somebody under the effects of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.

But I made a calculation error in a previous post. Fire Shield: Blue would deal 13 damage per round to Belhifet due to his resistances; not 26. You would need 10 castings of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere and 10 castings of Fire Shield: Blue to take him down. So the scroll scribing mod would be necessary to win it without relying on luck; I doubt you could get 10 scrolls of Fire Shield: Blue.

With Spell Revisions installed, you'd just need 3 castings of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere and 2 castings of Mestil's Acid Sheath to kill Belhifet. ORS is fast-casting in SR, so you'd only need one scroll of Mestil's Acid Sheath to make sure you could cast everything reliably. Bear in mind that when ORS wears off, you'll always have no Stoneskins and Mirror Images, so you should drink Potions of Power beforehand to make sure you don't die because your next Stoneskin spell got interrupted on the wrong frame.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    edited December 2017

Oh, i just had forgotten how powerful the Nymphs can be. Only two of them are enough at the moment to kill most opposition in no time thanks to hard hitting Lightning Strikes combined with Hold Person. Who needs Skeletons? No one! :D

The thing about nymphs on LoB is the +12 (?) to level affects their lightning damage greatly and hold monster with the -2 to saves and no creature restriction is a very highlevel spell too.
    (Is it even available for players?)
    @semiticgod: Its a huge investment indeed. And even if it works Big B has still dropped zero HP while his demons are all around him. It also happens to me that after dispelling his Improved Invisibility he immediately refreshed it . Sometimes he was waiting one or two rounds. His Magic Resistance is also somewhat strange: I remember using five Lower Magic Resistances in a row (which should put him to 0) but the log still claimed that he resisted my spells from time to time... :D
    @Harpagornis: Belhifet has 80% innate magic resistance and another 20% from a sword, which I believe he only equips on higher difficulties (it's a carbon copy of another sword on his .cre file, aside from the 20% MR). With five Lower Resistance spells in a row, the only way Belhifet could retain any MR is if your caster level was 9 and therefore left him with 5% MR. Otherwise, it's a bug of some sort.
    edited December 2017
    Tested it nearly one year ago with a level 10 char so mathematically his MR was 0.

I claimed that either there is some hidden MR for Big B or it was just a bug. :D
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    "Bug: Mobs follow your current location after stealthing instead of your "last" location"
    That's very good news, even tho I got used to this and thougt it was supposed to be "advanced" A.I.