Skip to content

(Men Only) What do you use to shave your facial hair ?

dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
edited December 2017 in Off-Topic
Spare parts for razors can be pretty expensive.
  1. (Men Only) What do you use to shave your facial hair ?24 votes
    1. Razor
      37.50%
    2. Hair Clipper
      16.67%
    3. Other (please specify)
      45.83%

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Is "hair clipper" your word for a scissor?
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    scriver said:

i never thought about scissors sec to add it
    shoot cant but... scissors actually trim facial hair not shave them right ?
    edited December 2017
    scriver said:

no i mean Hair clipper the electrical machine
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The vibration it causes on my cheeks makes me laugh!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Lightsaber... the closest shave in the galaxy.

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    dunbar said:

An old-fashioned double-edged razor

Says old-fashioned... and then doesn't follow that up with "straight razor." The only appropriately "old-fashioned" razor. :P

A straight razor also tends to eliminate the other issue you mentioned. :D
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Straight razor. The blade sharpening translates really well into other things, like knives and axes, it's a nice skill to have. Plus, as @dunbar mentioned, you won't get a closer shave anywhere. I also find that it eliminates razor bumps and ingrown hairs. The initial investment is high, but the payoff and savings far outweighs the cost.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Gillette Fusion. I think it's gonna turn 10 years old soon.
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    I never shave. I trim with scissors when my mustache starts collecting allergens. I really like my facial hair. In fact I'm quite attached to it.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited December 2017
    Working in a Museum, I like old stuff. I learned to mow my yard with a scythe. I learned to mow my facial hair with a straight razor. It makes for a nice morning ritual. Both methods of cutting growing things are preferable to their modern equivalent imo lol.
    edited December 2017
    taclane said:

I enjoy going to the barber from time-to-time.
    He's got a sign up front that says he "only shaves those who do not shave themselves."

Once I asked him if he shaves himself, and I think the minor paradox caused a tiny reboot in the fabric of the universe.

haha
    I love logical paradoxes
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited December 2017
    I went from replacement cartridge razors (quit because the price was outrageous), to cheaper disposable razors (you know it's a gimmick when Gillette sells Mach 3 cartridges for less than an ENTIRE Mach 3 disposable), to straight razors once I decided I was through with cartridges in disgust, and now use a replaceable blade shavette.

I like my shavettes because they handle like a straight razor, but requires no maintenance like a disposable, and the blades are pretty cheap. The fancy Feather blades designed specifically for my second, favorite shavette cost about 50 cents apiece, which I can stomach.

Feather Artist Club Japanese-style shavette is what I like to use now.

A Parker shavette Is what I used at first. It's designed to imitate a typical Western straight razor, using broken safety double-razor halves, but it was always annoying having to adjust my grip with it because of the attached hinged cover, the same with straight razors.

My main complaint about the Feather I use now is primarily that it uses very long, specifically designed blades (just about 2" long, and as I said, cost about 50 cents per blade). The safety double-blade razors I have that get used in the Parker seem to be about 1.5" long, and blades for it are dirt cheap, like 10 cents per blade, or less. That .5" doesn't sound like much, but it really makes it less "agile".

I haven't shaved with anything but one or the other of these two in almost 2 years. I was probably doing straight razor for 2-3 years before that.

If I could, I'd like to have the Parker with a Japanese-style handle. I'd still use Feather brand blades, but I'd use their much cheaper safety double-blades.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @dreamtraveler Can we assume you chose the route of no facial hair for the time being (previous poll) given this thread or are you still collating data as they say? ;):)
    edited December 2017
    i used to shave with a gilet and when i was in the army (mandatory) with a cheaper Bic i dont remember why but i bought i hair clipper and i have been using it ever since dont know how long it has been the pluses i get from hair clipper
    1. no skin irritations
    2. dont have to buy spare parts
    3. it leaves 1mm of hair which i like
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Since I've had at least partial facial hair for the last 10 or so years, I've used a combo of razor (for the clean shaven parts) and a beard trimmer with selectable lengths for the goatee/moustache.

Funny side note, now that I only use a scissors for the beard (since I let it grow), my hair trimmer broke down and I now use my bear trimmer to shave my head, heh.. it takes some time, but it works. I probably should buy a new hair trimmer though before I break the beard one.
    Skatan said:

I now use my bear trimmer to shave my head, heh.. it takes some time, but it works.

I bet it does, and the bear probably ain't to pleased either, hehheh. ;):)

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Beard trimmer. Also works for the scalp. Who needs an coiffeur anyway?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    shaver (electric razor), which is not technically a hair clipper
    Skatan said:

Since I've had at least partial facial hair for the last 10 or so years, I've used a combo of razor (for the clean shaven parts) and a beard trimmer with selectable lengths for the goatee/moustache.

Funny side note, now that I only use a scissors for the beard (since I let it grow), my hair trimmer broke down and I now use my bear trimmer to shave my head, heh.. it takes some time, but it works. I probably should buy a new hair trimmer though before I break the beard one.

@skatan i use my hair clipper also in my head at 1mm... long hair are impractical
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2017
    I usually use a hair clipper but there was this one time I accidentally used my barbecue grill... :s
    Balrog99 said:

I usually use a hair clipper but there was this one time I accidentally used my barbecue grill... :s

Ouch, that'll do it though, for sure. :*
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I always shave in the shower. Soft steamed skin shaves super smoothly.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Zaghoul said:

Skatan said:

I now use my bear trimmer to shave my head, heh.. it takes some time, but it works.

I bet it does, and the bear probably ain't to pleased either, hehheh. ;):)

I am actually a bear farmer, so instead of having sheep and shaving them for their wool, I have bears and shave them for their fur.

Hey, @Arctodus and @OrlonKronsteen, wanna go through this cool gate and taste that honey pot that's conveniently lying around there inside my paddock?