Skip to content

Why aren't we all ithilids' slaves?

ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
Semi-serious question: why isn't entire Faerun under the rule of Underdark creatures by now?
My party is in clearing lair of beholders and it just occured to me: entire Baldur's Gate that we see in the first game could be annihilated by 5 of them or less. Denizens of Underdark are very powerful, and usually evil - so I'm really not sure why they won't conquer the surface.
Is there any explanation in lore? Is it because of insufficient numbers? Is surface inhabitable for them? Any other reason?

Comments

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Zaghoul - yeah, I haven't thought about alignment, and for some creatures it definitely can be deciding factor indeed. However, both ithilids and beholders seems to be organised enough to undertake invasion.
    @semiticgod - I'm not sure with cost-effectivness. I think that surface has gigantic advantage over Underdark: it's much safer.
    If I were a mind flayer, I'd rather face humans, dwarves and sun elves instead of beholders and drows.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    If your interaction with
    the Elder brain in Hordes of the Underdark
    is anything to go by, we might all already be their blissfully ignorant slaves. -insert Matrix meme-
    edited December 2017
    Grond0 said:

I think the question comes from a slant of - "surely these creatures of darkness could wipe out a bunch of peasants". Remember though that the surface races are not all just peasants :p. Given that solo adventurers regularly kill entire cities of illithids it seems reasonable to me that they would be just a little wary about showing their ugly mugs.

I'm not so sure. ;) Thing is, peasants are overwhelming majority of all races, both surface and underground - but underground peasant will probably be much more dangerous than surface peasant. 1st level drow warrior will have advantage with his magic resistance, for example.
    And - aren't there any mindflayers adventurers? :P
    @PaulaMigrate, @Mantis37 - thanks for sharing that lore. :)
    I shiver to think what ithilids will do when they replenish their numer tho. And beholders still scare me. ;)
    That was interesting input, @scriver, thanks.
    TBH I'm not sure whether this article is canon, but it makes very plausible rock-paper-scissors stalemate. :>
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually, in SoA at least, there are some hidden as in literally the "hidden" and i think it deals with mind flayers trying to take over/ rule athkatla ( if you find the hammer of thunderbolts and do jan jansen's quest, there is a little bit of insight on it )
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Whoa @scriver that article link just blew my mind with the all mighty fish people...makes sense though
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    -What do you do for a living ?
    -i am an illithid slayer
    -But illithids don't exist
    -Yeah because i slew them
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Because the Illithids are afraid of bees. And rightly so.