Skip to content

[v3.4] Aura, a gnome artificer NPC for BG:EE + SoD

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2017

Quick question for those few people who follow this: PID-flirts, yes or no?

I've bookmarked your thread as I find her an interesting addition to a new campaign to start when she is finished but in answer to your question:

I'm not that interested in a romance path. There's already so many NPC's out there that are romance options. It's almost like an NPC mod can't be written without him or her being romanceable, but of course that shouldn't have to be.

I myself am much more interested in friendship paths. To name three favourites of mine: the Xan friendship mod, the Isra NPC for BG1 and the best written friendship path I know of: Amber NPC for BG2 (alas the mod got abandoned before the Enhanced Editions existed so it wasn't made compatible).
    Contemplative_Hamster
    *edit: if you do decide on romance however, it's nice to be able to initiate talks with a 'love interest' instead of just being passive and whole dependent on when she starts talking. But please make it optional to start a romance and keep having her interesting talks if you decide to decline a romance, don't make her a mute party member after deciding to forsake love.
    ThacoBellContemplative_Hamster
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    I'm a yes vote. More options just mean more ways to play the game. By the way, the character sounds great.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2017
    Aura-BG1 is complete, unless I suddenly decide I hate the questline again and rewrite it a second time. Time to move on to SoD...
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    Son_of_ImoenThacoBellContemplative_Hamster
    Nice! Time to start planning a new BG playthrough.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited December 2017
    looks like the pt i was gonna start after the 2.5 patch launched is gonna include sirene drake and aura.
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Where can She be locate at? I can't seem to find that in the description but I could have just missed it.
    The mod is not open for download yet. I have to run a play test to make sure the code works and then release it. Thank you all for your patience.
    megamike15RVNS
    Updated the front page with some useful information, since I never mentioned basic things like where she can be found. Whoops.
    ThacoBellSon_of_ImoenCaszidy
    Thank you for the new mod!
    @RVNS Enjoy!

Aura-SoD Preview #1: Aura gets a cat. Sort of plot-relevant.

ThacoBellGusindaCaszidy
    uh oh boo better watch out.
    edited December 2017
    First beta update. Fixes a few script bugs and alters a few lines of dialogue. There is no SoD content at the moment. I enabled the install option for those who want a clean transition for when she leaves the party.
    Caszidy
    Aura-SoD Preview #2: Peaceful alternatives

This, along with a few other parts, are additions that can occur so long as Aura is around, whether she is in the party or not. This is mostly for Chaotic Good players like me that agree on taking advantages in war but would rather hurt as few people as possible with them.
    ThacoBellGusindaronaldoNoobacca
    As a side note, this is something I'll be carrying into BG2 content. I intend for Aura to be a character that you can interact with both in and out of party. Obviously there'll be more for in-party stuff like friendship and romance but when it comes to BG2 then not all quests will depend on her presence. This doesn't really work for BG1 due to how broad the scope of the setting is, but since the various camps in SoD and Athkatla in BG2 function as a 'hub' of sorts it's feasible there.
    randomencounterThacoBellGrammarsalad
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Had a quick test of it and have feedback:

1: "She now seeks an adversary now" in her biography could use a "now" removing.

2: Her infinite potions for free is overpowered as anything. Sitting on the Friendly Arm map resting and spamming potions of Magic Blocking x5 gives enough to handle any mage encounter and generates around 78,750 GP after a week of doing nothing but resting, with permanent haste, potions of extra healing otherwise not available in BG1, enough potions of invisibility to keep your entire party hidden at all times, and free runes (which CHARNAME is happy to share for even more infinite, free, level scaling magical scrolls) and the Burst Orbs she generates on top of that.

Either she should have the chance to fail and cause the player to lose resources, she should expend party resources to produce something (potentially even something random out of the list rather than specific items), or both, particularly given her flavour presumably is not "someone who is fabulously wealthy and does not ever need to adventure because she can print money risk free whenever she likes".

3: Her alchemical traps appear to kill her whenever she uses them, with a self-cast acid spray for 30+ damage on a successful save. Given that they aren't party friendly she also has a good chance of setting them off on herself the moment she casts them to boot. Happy to list my current mods if it's helpful.

Also, no opinion either way on PID flirts being included, but please count this as a vote not to make them creepy *shuddering hair touching*, inappropriately early "hi nice to meet you let me violate your personal space right now", or involve licking someone's fresh blood from your fingers when they're wounded.
    semiticgoddess
    edited December 2017
    1: "She now seeks an adversary now" in her biography could use a "now" removing.

Will fix.
    2: Her infinite potions for free is overpowered as anything. Sitting on the Friendly Arm map resting and spamming potions of Magic Blocking x5 gives enough to handle any mage encounter and generates around 78,750 GP after a week of doing nothing but resting, with permanent haste, potions of extra healing otherwise not available in BG1, enough potions of invisibility to keep your entire party hidden at all times, and free runes (which CHARNAME is happy to share for even more infinite, free, level scaling magical scrolls) and the Burst Orbs she generates on top of that.

I am going to implement something to prevent gold stacking abuse, but I may not be able to cover everything. The rest button is the most overpowered mechanic in the game and balancing around it is such a messy affair that the only advice I can really offer in response is, "don't do it". Not to say that I'll do absolutely nothing.

Edit: Yeah I am just going to make the potions unsellable and remove Potions of Magic Blocking from the list entirely. Regarding the other potion types I either don't think they're overly powerful or they come at such a high level that it's reasonable.
    3: Her alchemical traps appear to kill her whenever she uses them, with a self-cast acid spray for 30+ damage on a successful save. Given that they aren't party friendly she also has a good chance of setting them off on herself the moment she casts them to boot. Happy to list my current mods if it's helpful.

Cannot reproduce. The traps work as intended in my install. The cast distance is longer than the trigger radius so casting it at max range shouldn't cause it to be set off. There is also no 'Acid Breath' spell involved in any of the traps so I couldn't tell you where that comes from.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Cannot reproduce. The traps work as intended in my install. The cast distance is longer than the trigger radius so casting it at max range shouldn't cause it to be set off. There is also no 'Acid Breath' spell involved in any of the traps so I couldn't tell you where that comes from.

Alrighty, I'll try a clean install without Tweaks/DSotC at a later and see if that clears it up. It might be the extra spells the latter adds mucking me up.
    Aura-SoD Preview #3: 'Friendship' quest

ThacoBell
    I’m revamping the alchemy system. Found a useful action command that will allow me to do it via store (and thus add costs to the potions and explosives in an easier way) without allowing for buying 100 items at once. The potions are also getting reworked to have unique effects. This is going to add to the workload by a lot.
    Son_of_ImoenGusindaPantalion
    New alchemy system, first preview:

Changes:
    • Potions are now unique and cost gold to make.
    • It is no longer possible to make both potions and explosives during the same session.
    • Stores refresh their stock every time the spell is cast.
    • Alchemy in a city is 25% cheaper than in the wild or in a dungeon.
    This is not the final iteration as there's still things about the new system I'm not happy with, but it should be somewhat more balanced yet more rewarding as well.
    Son_of_ImoenRaduziel
    Aura-SoD is now available for beta version 0.2. I haven't written enough banters to add them in yet, but everything else is finished. If you can deal with the lack of banter (personally I feel it's unnoticeable in SoD) this version should be perfectly playable.

Beware of bugs, junk code that I forgot to erase, and total game-breakers.
    Gusinda
    edited January 2018
    nice. but as i said i'm gonna wait till 2.5 is officially out before i start playing.

edit: the download page is still .1 not .2
    Post edited by megamike15 on

edit: the download page is still .1 not .2

Thank you. Fixed.
    When I try and download the sod content it is giving me an installation error.
    @RVNS

Please post the debug notes here.
    @RVNS There should be no more installation errors in v0.3.

v0.3 adds banter to SoD and fixes several bugs. I actually recommend doing a full uninstall of the previous version before installing this version though.
    still having issues on this install.

ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [C02DRAKJ.DLG] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [Aura_BG1/dialogue/SoD/c02auraj.d]: Failure("resource [C02DRAKJ.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Aura Glimmershine NPC -> Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition + Siege of Dragonspear], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [Aura_BG1/backup/1/OTHER.1]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "Aura_BG1/backup/1/OTHER.1")
    [Aura_BG1/backup/1/UNSETSTR.1] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 897 files for [AURA_BG1/SETUP-AURA_BG1.TP2] component 1.
    Uninstalled 897 files for [AURA_BG1/SETUP-AURA_BG1.TP2] component 1.
    Unable to Unlink [Aura_BG1/backup/1/READLN.1]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "Aura_BG1/backup/1/READLN.1")
    Unable to Unlink [Aura_BG1/backup/1/READLN.1.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "Aura_BG1/backup/1/READLN.1.TEXT")
    ERROR: Failure("resource [C02DRAKJ.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-AURA_BG1.DEBUG to Artemius_I
    Using Language [English]
    [English] has 1 top-level TRA files
    [Aura_BG1/translations/english/setup.tra] has 20 translation strings