Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Art Assets (models, textures, images, sounds)

Comments

• InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Support for Level Of Detail meshes.

Higher polycounts are great, but some kind of LOD/distance scaling would be really useful to ensure that polys are only drawn when they're needed.
    Proont
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367

this is a Korean video, but once again demonstrates the potential to improve graphics in NWN:EE

Wow that's.. amazing. Like a completely different game. Hire the Koreans. =)

Illustair
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    That appears to be the Wild Woods tileset made by _six, available on the Neverwinter Vault
    ZwerkulesShadowM
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited December 2017
    Edit: Ignore me, I'm an idiot.
    Proont
    edited December 2017
    Ancarion said:

That appears to be the Wild Woods tileset made by _six, available on the Neverwinter Vault

I think you are absolutely correct!

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/tileset/wild-woods-v07-wild-lands-tilesets

Apparently included in Project Q!

:D
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    When we are talking about custom UI changes, I mostly talking let us send a specific client a window with images/video (maybe add support for descriptions/books to support images) and custom timer bars for timed events, condition feedback like hunger, thirst, Air, power levels, radiation etc..
    Proont
    Kenji said:

I'm hoping for new and better voice sets for player characters. Is it possible to port some over from Icewind Dale? The voice lines for player characters from IWD is far superior to any of the BG or NWN voice sets.

Could we have discussion on new voice sets for the Trello boards?

Voice sets should be pretty straightforward to add and they wouldn't break any existing content.

It's also important for multiplayer that the characters sound alike as little as possible.

Some more neutral ones would be very welcome since the existing ones tend to be very... characterized.

Something like...

Rational
    Mysterious
    Submissive
    Suspicious
    Quiet
    Compassionate

ProontKenji
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited December 2017

this is a Korean video, but once again demonstrates the potential to improve graphics in NWN:EE

Wow that's.. amazing. Like a completely different game. Hire the Koreans. =)

just a small correction, I would like to point out that is a Japanese demonstration.
    He found a tileset from NWNvault and quickly made a small module out of it.
    Post edited by junk11 on
    ShadowM said:

Add facial hair / hair category to body parts so we can cycle different beards/mustaches and different hair styles and maybe even have them a different color then main hair.

I am not looking forward to the violent blood bath that will follow over if Dwarven women should have beards.

:D
    ShadowMJarrakul
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

I am not looking forward to the violent blood bath that will follow over if Dwarven women should have beards.

This does seem rather easy to solve, though. Give them beard options, but don't make them mandatory. Let people decide if their dwarf woman (or the dwarf women in their module) have beards.
    thryllkillOmnipsi
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Can we get multiple hit-box support so we do not need dragons on there hind legs.
    shadguyProontOmnipsi
  • VendraminoVendramino Member Posts: 2
    Here to upvote more character customization, better graphics, and higher resolution texture pack support.

NWN is still a fantastic game. The only problem with it is that the graphics are horribly outdated. Ideally I'd love to have the same game with better graphics. Something akin to the Ocarina of Time 3DS remake. They improved the character models and a few textures, which made a world of difference. It doesn't need to be PS4 graphics, just less blocky and more detailed.

HunterRayder93VasculioAedan
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    edited December 2017

Here to upvote more character customization, better graphics, and higher resolution texture pack support.

NWN is still a fantastic game. The only problem with it is that the graphics are horribly outdated. Ideally I'd love to have the same game with better graphics. Something akin to the Ocarina of Time 3DS remake. They improved the character models and a few textures, which made a world of difference. It doesn't need to be PS4 graphics, just less blocky and more detailed.

I agree with your proposal, returning to the graphics NWN can improve the graphics with new textures and polygon models more defined but ... they will say no because they do not want to affect the modules of the community and the PW ... but it would be a I dream of something like that ... would give new life and make the game less old, also because ... who would never play in a game with such a mediocre graphic nowadays in 2017-18? nobody, the compromise could (I hope) be a graphic remake like in the Zelda for 3ds.
    ShadowM said:

Add facial hair / hair category to body parts so we can cycle different beards/mustaches and different hair styles and maybe even have them a different color then main hair.

yes on this I agree ... a bit like it happens in NWN2 so to speak where you could choose I do, face, hair hoped and then customize the color of eyes and hair and accessories in case the hairstyle had an accessory, yes. .. yes, yes, a cabiamento that I would be happy if they implemented, so doing the ability to customize the hair regardless of the face and vice versa ... the personalization of the PG has always been very limited in NWN, I hope that with EE do something. ..but as I said above ... I want to break nothing of the contents of the community ... but frankly ... I hope that some exceptions do it ... but they must do it because if this game does not have anything new and single.
    Vasculio
    Not sure if this was requested already but..

Could we have better, more subtle weapon glow effects?

All the elemental damage vfx are very... pronounced.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251

Kenji said:

I'm hoping for new and better voice sets for player characters. Is it possible to port some over from Icewind Dale? The voice lines for player characters from IWD is far superior to any of the BG or NWN voice sets.

Voice sets should be pretty straightforward to add and they wouldn't break any existing content.

It's also important for multiplayer that the characters sound alike as little as possible.

Just gonna tag @JuliusBorisov if this can happen! I can't find new player character voice sets option on the Trello board.
    HunterRayder93JuliusBorisovOmnipsi
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    Fangirl said:

My wish list for EE is:

*New weapon models
    * Purple dragons

Well, there are new weapon models (which replace ALL the default ones) available, made by a certain purple dragon, if you don't want to wait to see if Beamdog makes some. You can drop them right in your override folder to use while playing any module.

Project Reforged

RumJFKZwerkules
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Kenji said:

Kenji said:

Just gonna tag @JuliusBorisov if this can happen! I can't find new player character voice sets option on the Trello board.
    It's there!

https://trello.com/c/si30FqYl/106-new-pc-voicesets
    shadguyProontKenji
  • TheUncertainManTheUncertainMan Member Posts: 49
    Can you please add support for Wav 32bit PCM sounds.
    Kenji
  • StormAndyStormAndy Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    *Edit*

I would love to see some of the textures being reworked higher res. You wouldn't need to interfere with altering the colours or art style of the original textures and remake the models at high polycounts.

Post edited by StormAndy on
    SymphonyProontRifleLeroy
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2017
    StormAndy said:

I would love to see some of the textures being reworked higher res. There were creatures like the Dracolich for example which had a couple of extremely low res (64x64 pixel) textures. The Dracolich is a huge model which fills the whole screen.

Just so you know, the dracolich does use higher resolution (512x512) textures, at least in regular NWN. If looking at the resources, they're in a texture pack: xp2_tex_tpa.erf

StormAndy said:

I would love to see some of the textures being reworked higher res. There were creatures like the Dracolich for example which had a couple of extremely low res (64x64 pixel) textures. The Dracolich is a huge model which fills the whole screen.

Just so you know, the dracolich does use higher resolution (512x512) textures, at least in regular NWN. If looking at the resources, they're in a texture pack: xp2_tex_tpa.erf
    Ah okay sorry my bad, bad example. But my point still stands be nice to see some of the lower res textures up-scaled and touched up. Like others have mentioned some assets are really low poly.

I was playing through premium modules for the first time and doing some module editing recently and couldn't help but notice how low res things like the original weapon racks models, staffs and axes where for example. I know its stuff you could mod into an override but it'd be nice to professional eye to look over assets that haven't aged well.
    Also i really enjoyed the recent remaster of Turok 2 it has a few things in which i think would help the environment art a lot in general. The Screen-based Ambient Occlusion option looks really nice :) it really pops out the shape of all the assets which rely on flat tiling textures.

(comparison video)

AncarionProontOmnipsi
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    StormAndy said:

The Screen-based Ambient Occlusion option looks really nice :) it really pops out the shape of all the assets which rely on flat tiling textures.

Agreed. For me, AO and HDR are two must-haves for improving NWN's looks. I understand there have been some performance issues related to adding them, but I think the pay-off will be worth it, once it's sorted out. And Bloom... Gotta have some Bloom in there too.
    Omnipsi
  • narcissuslairnarcissuslair Member Posts: 12
    Sounds:

1) Adjust Footsteps. They are too loud.

Tilesets:

1) More ramps to upper levels and softer ramps
    2) "Hilly" versions of the outdoor tilesets
    3) Ceilings for the indoor tilesets
    4) Polygon upgrade for older tilesets
    5) Better edges for areas. Maybe just a solid color vs the infinite mirror effect.
    6) Combine tilesets together?
    7) Improve pits for each tileset

Assets:

1) Open up all of the portraits. Maybe bring in some from BG, IWD, etc.
    2) Improved hands, hands, heads, etc
    3) Trees and plants with animations
    4) Scaling of all objects types without using tails/wings method (already in the works)
    5) Improved performance when loading high polygon assets (ex. horses)
    6) Small inventory items like fruit, vegetables, fungi, etc.

Other:

1) Allow a higher Z axis for flying creatures. Basically they can only be targeted by range weapons.
    2) In hilly tilesets, placeables like trees get created at the Z:0 axis and not at the correct height

ProontOmnipsi
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    yesterday I did a tour again inNWN: EE and I realized how certain models dinpc monsters and PCs are so dated ... In short, I repeat ... I still understand that BD does not want to break compatibility, but modifying the game for if you're already doing it, I can not believe that I do not want to improve the polygonal models and textures of the npc, monsters and pc models ... I understand ... that this work can be solved with Hack's mods and more provided from the community. but frankly, I find it an excuse ... for years players created content for the simple reason why Biower (more than anything else EA gamese) has stopped supporting NWN, but the fact that BD is collaborating with NWValut makes me very hopeful that is trying to implement something through the NWValut modders in NWN: EE.

for example, the models of bugbear like orcs in general are too similar to each other, but the heads have always been disproportionate proportions, an aesthetic defect also present in NWN2, I think this is due to the lack of a real and proper collaboration mer some materials with WoTC regarding the material of the game, look for example this mod of this user:

So I'm not much better? do not hide behind the excuse, HE but ... just insert the modd ", the problem and that nowadays an average player I rely on external programs to install texture models etc ... in games or not installs at least, in short, it is not much better that many of the existing models are more faithful to the manuals? is not it better if BD already implements a few things to make modder work easier?

• merricksdadmerricksdad Member Posts: 14
    I'd like to see every single model be able to use PLT files.

On every single character, I'd also like to see a color override struct for all body parts.

Add script commands to better interact with colors without having to colorize worn items.
    Symphonythirdmouse
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    I don't know if this has been fixed, but something that bothers me is that some creatures added in HotU, mainly the Adamantine/Mithril Golems and the Beholders/Demilich, don't seem to have impact points for their animations or something. Meaning when they hit you, you don't have an impact animation or sound when you're hit, the damage number just floats above your head. This also seems to screw up the animations speeding up for their 4th attack per round, as my testing shows a Beholder with 4 attacks per round only attacks 3 times, with the first hit doing 2 sets of damage. This isn't anything major, but I feel they should be up to par with the other assets that come with the game.
    Proont
  • IrongronIrongron Member Posts: 9
    Since being asked a few times I've been considering what worthwhile improvements I'd like to see for the models, and I've come to the conclusion that some new animations would be ideal.

Chiefly, stealth. This is handled in a somewhat lazy way on NWN, merely changing the colour of the name above the character head, a 'crouching walk' when in stealth would be perfect. In any kind of multiplayer it can currently be hard to tell if a chararacter is attempting to hide, which to my mind is a major 'gap'

Along similar lines, but almost certainly harder, would be an option to crawl. Stealth bonuses could apply, and movement to the side could be achieved by 'rolling'

Finally the combat animations that already exist as a HAK, they really are impressive, and do a lot to break the monotony of a game so dominated by combat. It would great to see something like this in the EE. I would like to also see an improved 'knocked down' animation. Currently anyone suffering from KD gets thrown onto their rear end, or falls to their knees. Given how commonly used this feat is more animations would be good here. a 'turn and fall' whereby one could fall forwards, as well as backwards, and have their facing randomly adjusted.

More broadly I do maintain that the largest visual issue with the game, and what makes it feel most dated are the central models used by players. More detail should be essential (I also wouldn't mind them being ever so slightly smaller).

Proont
    edited January 2018
    I just saw a PW with swimming, climbing and jumping skills, with animations. That's amazing.

Hope these could be part of the EE or an official expansion. Those skills would be really nice for bringing whole new levels to adventuring.
    HunterRayder93Proont