Skip to content

What is your current quest in life ?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I know you're not fishing for concern, @BelgarathMTH, but I really do worry about you sometimes. The world is big, and something out there is worth looking forward to. I'm glad that you've found peace, but I believe there's also a place for hope.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    @BelgarathMTH You don't need to be gay to not have dependents. Nor does it get you off the hook with regard to life partners! I have a life partner who had already done the family stuff when we met and achieved financial security. We do have three cats, two cavys and a bunch of scrounging foxes, so we aren't 100% dependant free!
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2018
    < inserting opinion that no one will appreciate >
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited December 2017
    @Raduziel I tend to take the view that, if the arrow is pointing up, that is a good day. The arrow may be small, but if it’s pointing up, great; I’ll take it. My wife and kids don’t see things this way, but that’s not my issue.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Dude, your family is fighting too.

Too drunk right now, I'll reply later
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    I have found a new quest though since this forum is teen rated i am not able to say what it is. i ll give you a hint though... since i managed to change viconia's alignment i am very fond of drows.
    @tbone1 Ok, I'm back. A little headache but I'll survive.

One thing I learned with this is that my family's fighting too. So what they think, hope and feel matters a lot and is way more important than what goes through my mind and heart.

Nothing is their problem, everything is my problem. The only person that really needs to pass through it is me (or I? Sorry for an eventually bad grammar). Everyone else passes through it because they chose to and they made that choise because they love me.

I may be the one in pain and the bearer of the dreadest consequences if anything fails, but they picked this fight, that is only mine, solely because they love me. So IMHO there's no such thing as their issue.

It is possible that this is a lesson that only fits in my shoes and can be something very wrong for anyone else, but the moment I learned this my fight and my family's fight became way easier. The way I see it is not wise to arm wrestle our allies

Peace, my friend.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Raduziel said:

@tbone1 Ok, I'm back. A little headache but I'll survive.

One thing I learned with this is that my family's fighting too. So what they think, hope and feel matters a lot and is way more important than what goes through my mind and heart.

Nothing is their problem, everything is my problem. The only person that really needs to pass through it is me (or I? Sorry for an eventually bad grammar). Everyone else passes through it because they chose to and they made that choise because they love me.

I may be the one in pain and the bearer of the dreadest consequences if anything fails, but they picked this fight, that is only mine, solely because they love me. So IMHO there's no such thing as their issue.

It is possible that this is a lesson that only fits in my shoes and can be something very wrong for anyone else, but the moment I learned this my fight and my family's fight became way easier. The way I see it is not wise to arm wrestle our allies

Peace, my friend.

They love you because they think you're worth it. That should be worth something. Love is earned, not blindly given. Loyalty can be blind but love, not so much. Take heart my friend, there are people that think you're worth loving. That is priceless!
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    Find enlightenment (or rather realize that I am already enlightened, as all of us are)
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Have you posted any of your art here, @O_Bruce? I can't remember.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @joluv
    Yes, I did. On my profile, go for "discussions" and you can find the thread there. It's called "O_Bruce's digital drawings and other stuff".
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I got my answer, I wasn't taken, I came second to their selection and the first one accepted their terms.

It may turn out the situation becomes advantageous though, my boss wants to meet me today to discuss my job and review my tasks knowing I applied elsewhere.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

To die peacefully in my sleep. Sorry to be a downer, but I've already experienced everything I wanted to in life, and I'm tired of everything. I've seen enough history to see it repeating itself, and the more things change, the more they stay the same.

People will misunderstand this. I'm content and at peace with my life. But I'm basically in a kind of holding pattern, just enjoying each day as it comes with as much pleasure as I can get out of it, while waiting for the end. And I'm okay with that.

That's a good quest. Can I pick it up? I'm tired of life, yet there's no other life I can imagine I'd want to live. I have an income, a nice home, no partner sharing the same house so I can come home to quiet and rest without anybody around when I'm home, I've got meaningful work that I like, I'm not in any obligation to find paid work that I won't be able to function in anyways, I've got nice friends, family and colleagues, yet:

I'm so tired of how full the world is of people, things, aspirations, injustices, pollution, degradation, wealth gaps, income gaps, strife, clowns for president, hateful religions, essential questions that can't be solved, cars, airplanes, CO2, rising seas, increasing deserts, sounds on the street, games that are too difficult, games in my backlog I never get round to play, people getting into a hiss-fit about 'SJW's', social injustice, mindfulness courses that only help to open up my mind even more open to overstimulating stimuli and thus being stress-inducing instead of stress-reducing, mental health care that cannot succeed in getting myself mentally healthy, my own wellness recovery plan that can't help me find peace and joy in life etc. etc.

I wish I could be content and at peace. I'm not.

Quest started: find peace and joy in life
    progress -> subquests: income, home, joy in being alone, meaningful work, supportive network: done
    progression in main quest: close to none
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

To die peacefully in my sleep. Sorry to be a downer, but I've already experienced everything I wanted to in life, and I'm tired of everything. I've seen enough history to see it repeating itself, and the more things change, the more they stay the same.

People will misunderstand this. I'm content and at peace with my life. But I'm basically in a kind of holding pattern, just enjoying each day as it comes with as much pleasure as I can get out of it, while waiting for the end. And I'm okay with that.

That's a good quest. Can I pick it up? I'm tired of life, yet there's no other life I can imagine I'd want to live. I have an income, a nice home, no partner sharing the same house so I can come home to quiet and rest without anybody around when I'm home, I've got meaningful work that I like, I'm not in any obligation to find paid work that I won't be able to function in anyways, I've got nice friends, family and colleagues, yet:

I'm so tired of how full the world is of people, things, aspirations, injustices, pollution, degradation, wealth gaps, income gaps, strife, clowns for president, hateful religions, essential questions that can't be solved, cars, airplanes, CO2, rising seas, increasing deserts, sounds on the street, games that are too difficult, games in my backlog I never get round to play, people getting into a hiss-fit about 'SJW's', social injustice, mindfulness courses that only help to open up my mind even more open to overstimulating stimuli and thus being stress-inducing instead of stress-reducing, mental health care that cannot succeed in getting myself mentally healthy, my own wellness recovery plan that can't help me find peace and joy in life etc. etc.

I wish I could be content and at peace. I'm not.

Quest started: find peace and joy in life
    progress -> subquests: income, home, joy in being alone, meaningful work, supportive network: done
    progression in main quest: close to none
    So why not work to fix at least one of the issues you list?
    I would say try to contribute by doing your best to fix one of those issues. And stop worrying about the rest if you don't have means to do anything about them.
    edited January 2018
    O_Bruce said:

I would say try to contribute by doing your best to fix one of those issues. And stop worrying about the rest if you don't have means to do anything about them.

and @FinneousPJ as well: that's why I wrote why my work is meaningfull: I try to help in creating a better local society (and succeeding partly in it, thanks to the help of my colleagues and a local government with a good heart and a willing ear) for people with mental illnesses. How we in our hometown, despite cuts by the national government, can work together in making policies that help people manage themselves in living a life of quality (this year it's time again for they bi-annual 'Day of Quality': a day of meeting, workshops, debates for people with mental illnesses, their relatives, policy makers etc. that me and some colleagues organise every two years).

Not only that, besides my work for people who like me are mentally ill, in my personal life I try to live environmental-friendly, I try to lessen the burden on the planet (by not driving a car, not flying, putting a sweater on before turning the heating up, eating vegetarian mostly, investing in wind energy) and help others strive to make this word more equal and just by giving donations to organisations whose work I support but lack the energy to do something myself.

The problem is not doing something to make this world sustainable and more just (as that's already my main drive and activity through the day, an ongoing quest that goes well), the problem is my mind not being at ease unless I can make the WHOLE WORLD equal, sustainable and just. Which I can't. I can't make my mind stop having irrationally big desires.
    P.S.: but thanks to pointing me toward what I can do - and do.
    I understand. The way I see it, you're really respectable person. Just thinking about people like you makes my idealism grow.

However, I think the important part is also "stop worrying about the rest if you don't have means to do anything about them". You contribute a lot already, but no one is able to do everything and I don't think stressing yourself over what you can't do is healthy in the long run. If, by chance, you feel you cannot let go by yourself, seek help. Friends, family, maybe some professional help. If the result is you being happier, I think its worth it.
    Matthieu said:

I got my answer, I wasn't taken, I came second to their selection and the first one accepted their terms.

It may turn out the situation becomes advantageous though, my boss wants to meet me today to discuss my job and review my tasks knowing I applied elsewhere.

Kidnap one of your boss' relatives and you'll get a huge leverage on this conversation.

PM me for details.
    O_Bruce said:

I think the important part is also "stop worrying about the rest if you don't have means to do anything about them".

I agree, the question is "how do you stop worrying"?
    O_Bruce said:

Friends, family, maybe some professional help. If the result is you being happier, I think its worth it.

Of course I have professional help. I'm getting mental health care since I first sought help 22 years ago. However, there's only so much they can do: prescribe me my medication, talk with me, but they can't stop the worrying about the world.