Skip to content

Making an NPC Mod

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
Hi :)

After doing a lot of kit mods that nobody likes I'm ready to move on and start doing NPCs mods that no one wants.

I'm currently reading a guide that looks like baby-steps enough for me, but I would like to know if anyone has any hint or tip for a rookie in this area.

And I'll start with two questions:

1) How do I create a sound set?

2) Anyone willing to make a portrait that I can use? @Buttercheese @O_Bruce @DJKajuru ?
JuliusBorisovGrammarsalad_Luke_

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hey @Raduziel , count me in .
    Raduziel
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    Hey :) There are some tutorials I wrote on creating NPCs, friendships, codoing them. The last one was on sounds. Thought you may want to take a look: https://www.wildsurge.ca/
    RaduzielJuliusBorisov_Luke_
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @LavaDelVortel That certainly will help a lot, thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2018
    Hey @Raduziel ! I'm looking forward to not using your NPCs !

Nah, seriously, it's pretty great to have more NPC mods. Do you have any rough idea of what kind of NPC you want to make ?
    Raduzieltbone1JuliusBorisovOxva
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Well, for starters I don't know what kind of NPC mod you are making, and thus I don't even know what you would require.

Currently at best I can make something that matches quality of my contest entry on this forum. That would take time and effort, and so if I'm about to do free request, in best case scenario I would make it pretty late and it could be used as an alternative portrait.
    Raduziel
    edited January 2018
    Arctodus said:

Hey @Raduziel ! I'm looking forward to not using your NPCs !

Nah, seriously, it's pretty great to have another NPC mods. Do you have any rough idea of what kind of NPC you want to make ?

It will be a Half-Orc Undead Predator who uses a spear. Always cheering for the underdog!

There will be no romance option, but I do intend to give him banters with every official NPC and lots of reactions in several places and situations, especially in BG2 (the idea is to make it available from BGEE to ToB).

And I'll keep the mysterious of any other details for now. To know more you'll have to download it and get disappointed when it's ready and probably start a petition to Beamdog asking for my banishment from the forum.
    O_Bruce said:

Well, for starters I don't know what kind of NPC mod you are making, and thus I don't even know what you would require.

Currently at best I can make something that matches quality of my contest entry on this forum. That would take time and effort, and so if I'm about to do free request, in best case scenario I would make it pretty late and it could be used as an alternative portrait.

@DJKajuru got it covered, thank you very much :)
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    Arctodus
    I'm looking for an old post I made where I've calculated the average stat of every single NPC. I'm failing to find it now.

Too bad, would be useful here. Guess I'll have to recalculate the whole thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    tbone1Raduzielbooinyoureyes
    Hurray for Excel!

The attached file contains spoilers for SoD, BG2EE and ToB.

---------------------------------------------------

@subtledoctor I will drop the Con value (for a reason to be discovered in the first dialogue with him)
    tbone1
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

My feeling is, for a warrior, be good in 2 of 3 physical stats. Let one be average. 19/18/17 gives me the impression: "here's my character concept: he's perfect!" ...which I find uninteresting. Like, even if the total is high, make him unusually wise or something like that.

But, I also might be very much in the minority here! :wink:

No, I’m with you. I try to get some balance along those lines. Otherwise every warrior is Wilt Chamberlain, every wizard is Albert Einstein, every cleric is St Thomas Aquinas, every monk is Bruce Lee, and every thief is Bernie Ecclestone.

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Make sure it has the personality of K-2SO ;)
    Raduziel
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    @Raduziel
    I have a friend that is interested in doing voice work if you're interested. He can do it in English and Spanish. Let me know and I'll connect you
    Raduziel
    I was thinking about doing it myself, but if someone else is willing to do it, why not?

Make the connection, please! :)
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Raduziel said:

I was thinking about doing it myself, but if someone else is willing to do it, why not?

Make the connection, please! :)

Will do
    Raduziel
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Raduziel
    If you are still working on your NPC mod I'm willing to help in any way I can. I don't know anything about making files or coding or drawing but I'm great at ideas and if you need a voice I'm more than willing to provide.

@Raduziel
    If you are still working on your NPC mod I'm willing to help in any way I can. I don't know anything about making files or coding or drawing but I'm great at ideas and if you need a voice I'm more than willing to provide.

Thanks, but the ideas are all designed and a friend of @Grammarsalad is on hold for the voice acting.

I'll let you know if I need anything. :)

This project is on hold because I have my hands full with DoF at the moment, but I'll try to do this until July.

Cheers!
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Raduziel

Fair enough, good on your project regardless and I'm on the Forum a lot if you ever need help. I made the voice offer mainly because I would like to try to expand on Voice Acting, it's always something I've wanted to do but while I've been told by several people that I have the talent, I need the experience before I can actually get anywhere.
    Raduziel
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    ".....any hint or tip for a rookie in this area...."
    Here mine : quality over quantity
    Don't go the way some moders do, making 30 mods on same time, they probably all fine but could be great.
    Raduziel
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2018
    @Raduziel
    I'm still waiting for final 2.5 for next run. I did't mean you, and did't know you make so many kits.
    Do not be offended but i think that making good NPC will be much more difficult that making good KIT. Good KIT is basically interesting idea and balance as bonus you can add some visuality work.
    Good NPC is much more complex task, but as harsh my words sounds I only hope you can make decent NPC and with time that character will be better and better. BG do not need more of ONE-DAY NPC likes :s
    So make one decend NPC i will certainly try it.
    RaduzielArunsun