Skip to content

Old paperdolls

Hi there guys and gals.

Do any of you know a way to restore the original BG2 paperdolls? I've searched far and wide and came up with nothing.

I know the 1PP mod (introduced by default in EE) is considered by the majority of the community to be an improvement over the original BG2 paperdolls, but I find all of them uglier than the "old" ones. I even booted up my original copy of BG2 to see if my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

Is there a mod to revert they all back to the "old" ones?

Just a couple of examples.

Minsc with the Shadow Dragon Armor in EE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iac23wje3l1ey3p/Minsc2ee.jpg?dl=0

Minsc with the Shadow Dragon Armor in the original:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fh7tt2rm2kinyd/Minsc2.jpg?dl=0

I find the original paperdoll much more detailed (and awesome) than the "new" one.

Minsc with the Red Dragon Armor in EE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axz3k79lposogcu/Minsc1ee.jpg?dl=0

Minsc with the Red Dragon Armor in the original:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59k15idxa1nh2d4/Minsc1.jpg?dl=0

Same thing here. And this trend applies to every armor in the game (for me).
Of course, that's just my opinion. Still, I would appreciate an option to use the "old" paperdolls again.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.
JuliusBorisovmeaglothRavenslightAdul

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2014
    One needs to dig up the old paperdoll files from a clean bg2 installation, via a program like DLTCEP. Save them seperately to a folder one by one, and then copy them all into bg2:ee's override folder. Technically, it might work. Or it might not, I am not sure if EE cam support old paperdoll file format without bugs.

I have no idea what those files are named, though. If you open up the 1PP mod's files and see which files it copies, those file names should be the standart for paperdoll files, so that you can dig them up from bg2 and try your luck.

Or some modder can make a mod.

There was a mod that modified the item appearances, it was named BAM restorer, I think. It restores item appearance files from bg2. Not the paper doll, just inventory icons. Like the leather armor, for example, looks more detailed in bg2. Or wands look more detailed and rougher than clean-cut prop toy look of the bg1 ones (ee uses bg1 ones) Plate mail looks like very complex suit made of metal pieces. Maces look more detailed and medieval. I have this mod and it works well with ee.
    FAButzke
  • FAButzkeFAButzke Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info, lunar. I'm not versed in those things (my knowledge stops at EEKeeper and Shadowkeeper before that). I'm quite sure a mod will come up, though. I don't think I'm alone (in the minority, yes) in this, so it's quite possible someone will make an "EE version of 1PP" =D

I will try that 'restorer' you mentioned, but the items don't bother me as much as the paperdolls.

Anyway, thanks again man.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    :O

I never thought I'd see the day where someone prefers vanilla BG2 Paper-dolls... I'm... I'm shocked, honestly.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Heya, Shocked!
    Artona
    @GamingFreak I'm not saying there aren't any improvements (the Helmet of Balduran, for example, looks better in the EE paperdoll), but, overall, I find them uglier and duller.
    I know I'm in the minority here and I'm not demanding anything, I just wish I could revert back to the "classic" BG2 look. =(
    It's not spoiling my enjoyment, though. It's just a matter of personal preference.
    DJKajuruSearonix
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Eh aside from the incredibly annoying glitch with female elven mages getting a painted leg in some robes i prefer the new paperdolls especially since female dwarves and gnomes now look FEMALE! XD
    meagloth
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i like the painted leg! looks so hip.
  • UltraFennecUltraFennec Member Posts: 1
    Agree with OP. I prefer the BG2 paperdolls and item icons in pretty much every way. They just look better to my eyes, somehow. I recall being disappointed, way back in 2000, that they hadn't altered the in-game models to match the new inventory paperdolls.
    FAButzke
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    well now the paperdolls are sorta-matched to the sprites
    Best change was to half-orcs though; vanilla BG2 half-orcs looked like some primitive freak-show that was found in a cave, what with them wearing bare-minimum clothing and hulk-like features; the re-done version made Half-Orcs look more natural and well, half-human.
    FAButzke
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Ahead of the BG:EE release there was a bit of a debate on here regarding whether to make various 1pp changes including the paperdolls optional, but it was not to be.
    FAButzke
  • AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    Original BG2 paperdolls is by far the worst piece of art I have seen in a videogame. I remember being utterly shocked by them the first time I played this game.
    AndreaColombo
    @GamingFreak. Wow =D You are going to be even more shocked now, but I love the Half-Orc paperdoll for the very reason you stated hating it. Go figure.
    More power to you, but it still doesn't make a lick of sense. The original depiction of a half-orc was in my opinion just a... well, orc.
    Don't get me wrong. The new half-orc is good too. I just happen to prefer the "bulkier" and "uglier" original.
    @Troodon80‌ Wow. Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I'll try this out.
    JuliusBorisov
    Here, dug up my old bg2 cds. (ahh the memories) and extracted the plt files and paperdoll bam files. Tested and they work. Just drop all the files into override folder.

Warning:did not test throughly so there may be bugs. Like, I did not see if mage paperdoll with lvl 3 armor (arch mage robe look) looks okay with a halberd equipped, etc.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I still which there was a way to switch in game. Especially individually, like having yoshimo original bg2, but keeping Jaheira 1pp. That would be really great, cause in general I prefer the "new" ones but there are some really cool "old" ones.
    edited November 2014
    @meagloth‌ You can do that, if you put the 'human male thief' paperdoll files from my rar file into your override folder, and skip 'elf female fighter' files, Yoshimo will have bg2 paperdoll while Jaheira will still have the bg2ee's 1pp look. The art style will not be consistent, cos really, they are way too different. 1pp style clothing is cleaner, basic, and realistic while original bg2 style is rough, detailed, with a more fantasy feel. But you can do that.

Ofcourse you need to find out which files are the 'human male thief' files. Need to check every file with dltcep to find out which files are which.
    Post edited by lunar on
  • BhaalspwanBhaalspwan Member Posts: 4
    Okay, so I downloaded the rar file containing the bam's and plt's, and they do work. Sort of. There is a big green square as a backdrop for the paperdolls. Anyway to fix this?
  • BhaalspwanBhaalspwan Member Posts: 4

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Looks like a transparency failure there.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    I usually prefer the original BG2 paperdolls
    Kamigoroshi
    Well yeah, the ugly green thing started with v.2.0 and up. They used to work well previously. I have no idea how to fix it, v2.0 brought MANY changes to the game engine.
  • ShereKhanShereKhan Member Posts: 1
    Hi sorry for bumping such an old thread but has anyone found a way to make the old paperdolls work in v.2.O without the big green square ? If not, does anyone know a way to put install an older version of BG2:EE ?
    I can deal with bugs and glitches but Imoen looking like a generic rogue is too hard for me...
    recklessheart
  • MishiMishi Member Posts: 8
    ShereKhan said:

Hi sorry for bumping such an old thread but has anyone found a way to make the old paperdolls work in v.2.O without the big green square ? If not, does anyone know a way to put install an older version of BG2:EE ?
    I can deal with bugs and glitches but Imoen looking like a generic rogue is too hard for me...

hi, resurrecting this thread to ask the exact same thing
  • MishiMishi Member Posts: 8
    Thanks a bunch!
    JuliusBorisov