Skip to content

[v1.4] Way of the Assassin - an assassin kit rework

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited December 2018 in General Modding
The Way of the Assassin is a component of The Artisan's Kitpack mod. Download it here:

ASSASSIN: The Way of the Assassin is a feared profession, and rightfully so. A master of the art of killing, the assassin is noteworthy for being able to slay a living man with a single calculated blow or from the slightest cut with a poisoned blade. No man alive is capable of killing a target in as many ways as an assassin, and once an assassin has marked a chosen target, their fate is often sealed. While the act of assassination demands swiftness and guile, an assassin's most important skill is patience; the patience to analyze their target, observing for weaknesses, and finding the most effective way to ensure the kill and fade away unseen.

Those who choose to walk the path of assassination do so for a variety of reasons. Many are opportunists, selling their services for personal gain. Some are vigilantes, hoping to make the world a better (or at least more peaceful) place by exterminating 'undesirables'. Yet others do so simply for the thrill of the kill. It is said that no two assassins are alike in either motive or technique.

Because of the unsavory nature of their profession as well as their preferred mode of operation, assassins are dreaded and reviled by decent folk. Assassins do not seek fame and recognition, as such things are detrimental to their cause and thus they rarely take positions of leadership or band in groups at all. The best assassins are all but unknown.

Advantages:
- Begins with a x3 backstab multiplier. The assassin's backstab multiplier caps at x7 at 17th level.
- Gains a +10% bonus to Hide in Shadows and Move Silently at 1st level and an extra +5% for every level thereafter.
- Gains a +1 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Death at 1st level and every 10 levels thereafter.
- May use the Poison Weapon ability once per day starting at level 1 and gaining one extra use every six levels thereafter.
- Gains the Analysis and Enhanced Backstab passive effects.
- From 5th level onwards, gains the Hidden Blade passive effect.
- From 10th level onwards, may use the Cloak of Shadows ability once per turn.

Disadvantages:
- -2 penalty to Charisma.
- -2 penalty to starting Reputation.
- May not wear armor heavier than leather armor.
- May not Set Traps.
- May only be of any non-good alignment.
- May only distribute 10 skill points per level among thieving skills.

ABILITIES

POISON WEAPON
The assassin is capable of coating their weapon for the next eight hours with a slow-acting but extremely potent poison. This poison deals damage and reduces the target's Constitution immediately and every following round for at least four rounds. After four rounds have passed, the target must make a Saving Throw vs. Death or remain poisoned for another four rounds. Therefore, the poison has the potential to last indefinitely as long as the target does not make a successful Saving Throw. The target may not die of Constitution loss caused by the poison.
1st level: Target suffers two poison damage and loses one point of Constitution. No save modifier.
6th level: Target suffers four poison damage and loses one point of Constitution. Save modifier of -1.
11th level: Target suffers six poison damage and loses two points of Constitution. Save modifier of -2.
16th level: Target suffers eight poison damage and loses two points of Constitution. Save modifier of -3.
21st level: Target suffers ten poison damage and loses three points of Constitution. Save modifier of -4.

PASSIVE: ANALYSIS
For every round that the assassin remains invisible, they gain a +1 bonus to hit and damage up to a cap of +2 at 1st level. This bonus increases by at +1 at 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter. Attacking depletes all stacked bonuses instantly while leaving stealth non-aggressively causes bonuses to gradually deplete over time.

ENHANCED BACKSTAB
The assassin is capable of crippling their victim with their backstabs, inflicting one of the following effects. Save modifiers decrease by one for every six levels gained thereafter.
Paralysis: Target must save vs. death at +2 or become paralyzed for 2 rounds.
Hamstring: Target must save vs. death or have their movement rate and Dexterity halved for 8 rounds.
Bleeding: Target must save vs. death at +2 or suffer 1d4+1 piercing damage every round for 2 rounds + 1 round/6 levels.
Cutthroat: Target must save vs. death or be silenced for 20 rounds.
Lethality (Level 17+): Target must save vs. death at +4 or be slain instantly.

PASSIVE: HIDDEN BLADE
When the assassin kills their target, they briefly turn invisible and moves at double their movement rate for one round. This may not occur more than once every five rounds, reduced by one round for every 5 levels gained thereafter (no cooldown at 30th level)

CLOAK OF SHADOWS
The assassin becomes completely invisible and undetectable for two rounds or until they attack, becoming immune to all revealing effects. Even creatures that can normally see through invisibility are unable to target the assassin during this time.

High Level Abilities

EXPOSE WEAKNESS
To an assassin, no enemy is without a weak point. Using this ability, the assassin may mark a target as vulnerable, reducing their Armor Class by 10 points and setting their physical resistance (if any) to zero for three rounds. Additionally, if the target is immune to backstabs, they lose their immunity permanently. This ability can be taken multiple times, but an assassin can only mark a single target at any given time.

PASSIVE: ASSASSIN'S BLADE
A master assassin's blade must be honed to the sharpest edge. This innate ability permanently increases the assassin's critical hit chance by 10% and his backstab modifier by 1.

Requires: Expose Weakness

DEATH ATTACK
A high-level assassin's intimate knowledge of vital spots on opponents allows them to, once per day, strike a lethal blow against a target. With this ability, the assassin's next attack within five rounds becomes a guaranteed critical hit and kills the target instantly on a failed save vs. death at -4.

Requires: Assassin's Blade
Post edited by TheArtisan on
ZaghoulGrammarsaladShikaoMush_MushAerakarMantis37trinit_Luke_RaduzielCahir

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2017
    With RR death attack gained at 16th lvl would be quite an interesting combo. I suppose the invisible makes sense to the one being attacked, as they just got fugged up prettty bad. Not sure yet on invisible to everyone watching.
    Interesting ideas and changes. Assasssins study of anatomy would make sense with the paralyzation effect.
    Assassin SHOULD have different backstabs. The ol 1st ed assassin got the something similar to the instant death attack as well. Is the invisible meant to be a magical ability or as mentioned above(related to a disoriented opponent)?
    Aerakar
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Updated. The mod now adds a special ability to the assassin which allows them to choose an additional effect for their backstabs.
    Grammarsalad
    Anyone feel up for trying out my latest experiment? Behold, my assassin rework. Is it super cheesy? Yep. Is it broken as all hell? Probably. Is it a blast to play? Well, that's up for debate, but I think it definitely is.
  • majbermajber Member Posts: 53
    Its for Baldur's Gate 2 EE ?
    edited August 2017
    @majber

This was made and tested using EE and was made to work for BG:EE or BG2:EE. It might work on vanilla BG but I doubt it and can't test it to make sure anyway.
    Shikao
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Hey Artemius, I've just seen your mod and it looks really interesting. Assassin is one of my favourite classes but it's unfortunately quite underwhelming in EEs. However, your version seems way too overpowered. I like most of the features you added, but is it possible for you to maybe add more disadvantages to make it more balanced?
    Mush_Mush
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Out of curiosity, how did you implement the Analysis passive ability?

A continuous repeating effect?
    @Ludwig_II

I am debating what best disadvantages to add that will be thematically appropriate and be meaningful enough. So far the ones I'm considering are removing the ability to set traps (though I'm doubtful as to how appropriate this is) and limiting items to leather armor (so no studded leather or elven chain - too noisy and eye catching) and maybe disabling a couple of weapon proficiencies (quarterstaff is the most likely). I'm not disabling dualclassing though - it's too close to dictating how others want to play for me and the idea was to give more incentive for singleclassing via high level bonuses. I'm also toning down Analysis for the next update.

@Aquadizzt

Opcode 232 with state check for invisibility, applying +1 to hit and damage every round for 2 rounds + 1 round per 3 levels.

Actually, I'm thinking of changing Analysis from granting bonus damage to increasing minimum damage, so an immediate attack with a 1d6 weapon would do 1-6 damage but waiting for long enough would guarantee 6 damage. Still has synergy with backstabs but lower maximum damage potential.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Ludwig_II said:

I like most of the features you added, but is it possible for you to maybe add more disadvantages to make it more balanced?

Perhaps a lower hit dice? Like that of a mage. Afterall they're masters of backstabbing not fighting toe to toe.

Updated to v1.1. I eventually decided to remove the assassin's ability to set traps. This is probably going to be a change a lot of people dislike but I've never liked the trap mechanic much and it doesn't really add much to the assassin's gameplay. Instead of the three HLA traps, the assassin gets Critical Strike (only once) and the significantly less useful Deathblow and Greater Deathblow until I can think of something better. To make up for it a little they can pick Assassination three times instead of just once.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aerakar

I also think limiting the kit to leather armors is a good idea too. Maybe add a melee AC bonus for several rounds after being hidden (does state check: invisibility include hide In Shadows?)... or just add a permanent backstab effect reducing the target's thac0 by one or two points for a few rounds, to simulate the assassin's advantage when the target is startled by the backstab.

State check Invisibility does apply from HiS. It's how the Analysis passive is able to work. I'm not sure if adding an AC bonus would add anything interesting though, as the point is that the assassin shouldn't be standing around trying to trade blows when they have more to gain by retreating and hiding. The backstab idea has another problem in that stacking multiples of the opcode (340) causes only one of them to apply, so it would conflict with Enhanced Backstab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Thanks for the response Artemius. I actually liked the other disadvantages you proposed as well, because I think even with not being able to set traps it's still quite powerful. The one I liked most was disabling quarterstaff proficiency, which I always thought should never have been the most efficient weapon of choice for backstabbing. I just can't imagine an assassin using a quarterstaff.

In any case, I think it's much more balanced now. Thanks for the quick update. And one more thing, how do Enhanced Backstab effects work? Is one of those effects applied randomly when you backstab?
    @Ludwig_II

You click on the Enhanced Backstab innate ability and you get a list of effects to choose from. Your backstabs passively apply the effects from then on until you change them. You can change as often as you please, with the only limitation being that you can only have one active at a time and changing counts as an action.
    Aerakar
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Currently trying out your assassin mod and I really like what you've done here Artemius. Very thematic and quite potent! Question: If the target is immune to backstab, is it also immune to the effects?
    edited September 2017
    Honestly the best thing that can be added to the assassin kit is the ability to backstab targets that are immune to backstab. Maybe only have the assassin be able to do half backstab damage to those types of enemies or something like that. Until that happens the assassin will remain basically useless in ToB unfortunately.
    cbarchuk said:

Honestly the best thing that can be added to the assassin kit is the ability to backstab targets that are immune to backstab. Maybe only have the assassin be able to do half backstab damage to those types of enemies or something like that. Until that happens, honestly the assassin will remain basically useless in ToB.

I wish this was possible.
    Illustair
    edited September 2017
    Well there is somewhat of a work around. RR mod gives the Assassin an ability called Death Attack starting at, I think, level 16. It's a guaranteed critical hit against the target and the target has to make a save vs death or be immediately slain. And as the assassin grows more powerful the target would receive a penalty to it's death save. Anyways you have something similar implemented with your Lethal backstab. The difference though is Death Attack didn't require you to be in stealth or even behind the target. So it didn't use backstab mechanics so it worked on many monsters that were normally immune to backstab including some dragons. Just a thought because I really like what you did here with this mod man. Great work.
    AerakarIllustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited September 2017

cbarchuk said:

Honestly the best thing that can be added to the assassin kit is the ability to backstab targets that are immune to backstab. Maybe only have the assassin be able to do half backstab damage to those types of enemies or something like that. Until that happens, honestly the assassin will remain basically useless in ToB.

I wish this was possible.
    Has something like this been requested? I seem to remember that HLA assassination works against backstab immunity. Can it be replicated to work on normal backstab?

Or, perhaps another similar skill with half the damage or with penalty? Any plans for HLA btw? Maybe to "omnislash/backstab" everyone in a specified area, is that technically possible? Surely, it's not that overpowered compared to other HLAs? Or, maybe a single target "blinkstrike"? (That there's a burst in speed that within a blink of an eye, he can get behind the enemy and backstab him; similar to omnibackstab but hits multiple targets at a reduced damage maybe?) Just throwing in something different here for HLA. I really like the unique and very thematic skills here that maybe this mod can extend to HLAs just to complete the package so to speak.
    edited January 2018
    Update after long absence: I have learned that there is an opcode that can remove backstab immunity. However, there's no way to get around the fact that it removes the immunity permanently. If they have the immunity via an item, they can regain it via unequipping and reequipping the item or upon reloading. However, if they have it as a kit innate they cannot get it back. I'm thinking of adding it in as an HLA since the two Deathblow HLAs are awful.

Proposed HLAs:
    Expose Weakness (replaces Deathblow)
    To an assassin, no enemy is without a weak point. Using this ability, the assassin may mark a target as vulnerable, reducing their Armor Class by 10 points and setting their physical resistance (if any) to zero for two rounds. Additionally, if the target is immune to backstabs, it loses this immunity permanently. This ability can be taken multiple times, but an assassin can only mark a single target at any given time.

Assassin's Blade (replaces Greater Deathblow)
    This ability permanently increases the assassin's critical hit chance by 10% and his backstab modifier by 1. This innate can only be taken once.

Requires: Expose Weakness

Death Attack (replaces Critical Strike)
    The assassin's next attack becomes a guaranteed critical hit and kills the target instantly on a failed save vs. death at -4. This ability may only be taken once.

Requires: Assassin's Blade
    Gusinda
    Updated to v1.2.
    • Analysis changed to +2 at 1st level and an additional +1 at 5th level + every 5 levels thereafter
    • Analysis buildup should hopefully be more consistent now
    • Description has been updated to hopefully be easier to read, with ability descriptions put at the bottom
    • Poison Weapon changed to deal 2-10 flat poison damage per round rather than several instances of one damage
    • New icons for abilities
    • Poison Weapon (and Death Attack HLA) make weapons glow while active
    • Deathblow, Greater Deathblow and Critical Strike are replaced with three unique HLAs: Expose Weakness, Assassin's Blade and Death Attack
    • New component: make Imoen an assassin (forgot to remove this from personal use so I may as well keep it as a feature)
    Contemplative_HamsterGusinda
  • "Heya, it's me, Imoen" just got even more scary. By the time you hear it, you'll be done for.
    RaduzielMirandel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    A "Make Montaron an Assassin" feature wouldn't be bad either :)
    @Raduziel

Montaron’s a bit harder since I need to change his class. The BG Tweaks mod does have the feature though.
    Raduziel
  • Eltharion1979Eltharion1979 Member Posts: 92
    Hey @Artemius_I one more great mod :-) one question, to apply one of the enhanced backstabs, I have to be invisible or it doesnt matter? When I click on one of the enhanced backstabs, I can see the animation, but nothing happen to the target, just normal damage. Thank you in advance, take care.
    @Eltharion1979

Choose the backstab effect then backstab the target as you normally would. The save modifiers aren’t great early so it’s not going to work all the time. The backstab effect remains until you pick a different one.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nikkoavnikkoav Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2018
    Thank you so much for this mod @Artemius_I !
    I've really wanted to play an Assassin from BG through ToB but was hesitant to do so out of concerns that his effectiveness would be greatly diminished once he reaches ToB.

However, one issue that I'm having is, the game is crashing when I click on a mode in the Enhanced Backstab special abilities section. I tried making sure that my assassin had a backstab-capable weapon equipped to see if that was the issue, so I bought a ninja-to and equipped that instead of the default quarterstaff, but it still caused a crashed when I clicked the "Paralysis" button.

I'm running BGEE on Mac OS X, App Store edition, so I only have v1.3.2053 (it's the latest version available on the App Store.) Running OS X 10.12.6. I installed your Kit Rework using the Mac Weidu Launcher and the install went smoothly. I didn't install the Imoen component.

Thinking about purchasing a Steam copy of the game if they have the latest version available to see if that does the trick. Would really love to play a full campaign with this mod! :smile: