Skip to content

[NPC MOD] Sheena - The Half Dragon Tale

Comments

• ferreirosferreiros Member Posts: 6
    Dear Edvin,

normaly i dont give a rats ass for mods. But Sheena...she is the only reason why i signed up with the beamdog forum to wirte you these few words. Your Sheena is a damn fine piece of NPC modding. Its challenging on the one side yet rewarding on the other side. It feels like it offers more to the whole God Story than those 3 other girls ^^.

Well honestly me writing to a modder is something i wouldnt normaly do.

Concerning the question you have put into the room. For my taste ( since i am 31 years old ) the act of intercorse is something wonderfull in a healthy relationship and shouldnt be outcast.

I would go for a Sheena that has dragonly/lizardly needs and impulses. Those need to be sitisfied and who else asn a God-Child could be qualified ?

Well I am just saying go all the way with Sheena and keep her Bloodline in mind.
    O_BruceEdvin
    edited September 2017
    I just finished SoA with Sheena and it was a blast.

First i was wondering why the "romance" was not starting....well i am used to make everything before starting chapter 3 ^^.

Anyhow there were 2 odd things.

1.) She gave me here heart in the mittle of the demon ritual in Ust natha >_> very bad occasion to reveal her identity -.-

2.) The very moment we went into the well in Suldennessaler i couldnt speek to here anymore. She had only two more sentenes after that with the last beeing..."You have as many lives as cats. Hopefully this is your last one"

buttom line -> Awesome NPC mod. Definitly NOT overpowered !

Cant wait for the TOB part.
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    Hi, is this npc mod still being worked on ?
  • Gabeg21Gabeg21 Member Posts: 43
    I'm trying to get this installed, and it doesn't work.

I'm playing on Toshiba Laptop with the current version of Beamdog BG2:EE. I unzip the file into my game folder, move all content into the game folder (where all other mods are) and the download window pops up. I select English (0) and it says: Install Unidentified string...... I try to install anyway and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?
    @Masterteo

as far as i know Edwin is working on the Sheena mod !
    Edvin
    The only problem i found is that suspiciously, whenever i correctly install this mod EE Keeper goes crazy.

In the editor spells have weird names and such. Don't know if it is this mod's fault.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited November 2017
    Gabeg21 said:

I'm trying to get this installed, and it doesn't work.

I'm playing on Toshiba Laptop with the current version of Beamdog BG2:EE. I unzip the file into my game folder, move all content into the game folder (where all other mods are) and the download window pops up. I select English (0) and it says: Install Unidentified string...... I try to install anyway and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Mod was tested on version from Beamdog.
    I dont have steam, gog or android version, so I can not guarantee functionality.

I'm not aware of any update that could cause problems, but tomorrow I will try to download the current version and reinstall the mod.
  • HemricHemric Member Posts: 7
    @Edvin Installed couple of days ago to Gog/Linux-version. Mod installed fine, although audio handling failed due windows-specific solution. Nevertheless, no complaints about "Unidentified string".

If interested, did some patching to replace audio handling done by bat-file with cross-platform solution:
    --- setup-Sheena.TP2 2017-01-16 15:32:13.000000000 +0200 +++ setup-Sheena-v2.5-hf.TP2 2017-10-31 20:10:36.777769577 +0200 @@ -50,7 +50,12 @@ /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// BEGIN @0 -AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT ~Setup-SheenaAudioInstall.bat~ +// HENKKA_FIX: Replace windows batch scripting with weidu action. +LAF HANDLE_AUDIO + STR_VAR + audio_path = ~Sheena/Sound~ + oggdec_path = ~Sheena/Sound~ +END //AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT ~Setup-SheenaTisunpack.bat~
    edited November 2017
    For me mod seems to work well.
    Well, i'm playing Insane and i have chosen to get rid of her armour.

I mean, an armor with AC 2 and that allow you to spellcast is too strong, in my opinion.

I prefer to use Sheena as she was in original mod, meaning your usual fighter / mage class.
    That means that if you want to spellcast you can't wear weapons.

I have to look at her proficiences too, now that i think about that. If something is more than 2 points, i need to lower it
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    Masterteo said:

For me mod seems to work well.
    I mean, an armor with AC 2 and that allow you to spellcast is too strong, in my opinion.

Why?
    Every magic caster will find AC3-armor in time - that's just 1 more.
    Dragon Disciples get that AC-Bonus at "birth" (and it "grows" in time).
    IMO AC2 is ok.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    Masterteo said:

I have to look at her proficiences too, now that i think about that. If something is more than 2 points, i need to lower it

It seems you need your own mod. :)
    edited November 2017
    Masterteo said:

Melodic Chain = AC2
    Bladeslinger Chain = AC1
    Aslyferund Elven Chain = AC0
    Robe of the Apprenti = AC3 (but allows you to use a Rings of Protection)
    (Drow Elven Chain = AC2)
    (Drow Adamantine Chain = AC0)

All these armor are even better and they all allow spellcast.
    I never sayd that this was a negative point of the mod.

I merely stated that, considering how I (and i stress the word "I" ) play the game, the armor is not needed.

Yes, there are a few armors that allow spellcasting, i know that. But my fighter / mage always wear no armour from the start to the end of the game, and that's how i play.

I think that people are thinking that " how i play " means " the mod is bad because it does not suit my gamestyle ". I never sayd that.

...and by the way, your average fighter / mage can't wear armours. That's why in the game there are only a few armors that fighter / mage can use. It's a bonus, not the normality.
    Masterteo said:

But my fighter / mage always wear no armour from the start to the end of the game, and that's how i play.

Kensai/mage, right? :p

Anyway, Sheena is single one Fighter/Mage in game.
    Because she is accustomed to melee fight, she need armor, not robe.
    And because she is also magic user, she needs a armor that will not restrict her.
    (BTW: The upcoming update will include visual modification of the armor and its image.)

P.S.
    Do not forget that her father was the man who made Carsomyr.
    A good armor that does not limit the user is a simple job for him.
    AndreaColombo
    Well, i suppose you're right.

Also, if the armor in the new update gives a visual modification to Sheena, it becomes a must to wear. Because it will add to her character
    The only Thing i never understood about the original Sheena mod, and that because it was there it is also here, is the content that a player will surely miss.

That makes me ask : why put it in a mod, if noone will ever see it ?

Let me give you an example. You have to kill Firkraag in order to take Sheena, so at least you have to level up a bit, right? Or at least, for normal players. I don't doubt that hardcore BG fans will be able to kill the dragoon with a level 7-8 party. But most normal or casual players can't. ( I for example play always with INSANE setting, but i consider myself only a casual player. For example, i do not even know if a mage can cure someone from stun status! But nonetheless i clear the game on insane, so...)

The point is, we have a dialogue between Sheena and the mad priest of Cyric that you meet first time you go near Thieves guild in Dock District.

Why did the original mod creator did that ?

90% of low level players , in order to raise fast 1-2 levels will surely do the few easy quests in dock district before going against Firkraag. And so, the players will trigger the dialogue with the mad priest.

The result is that there will be no dialogue between him and Sheena.

So, while i enjoy that dialogue , it seems a wasted effort. Afterall, more than 50% of platers won't see that dialogue between Sheena and the mad priest.

----------------------------------

This ultimately brings up a thing that i havealways thought : characters that can only be recruited later in the game will miss a lot of dialogues.
    edited November 2017
    @Masterteo
    Imoen also have a lot of content which many players won't see.
    All because she is in prison for most of the game (Just like Sheena).
    But you can rush game, skip almost everything and then you can enjoy her comments on quests and dialogues.

Everything depends on the question:
    "Should be all companions easily accessible from the start?"
    If the answer is "No", there is another question.
    "Does this mean that such a character must have only a very limited content?"

In my opinion, the fact that Sheena has a lot of content which will see only a few, deepens her character.
    Planescape Torment was great in this respect. I still remember amazing story of a blind archer Xachariah, which still at least 90% of people do not know. Or the real truth about Ignus origin.

Anyway, I think that this early content is here just because Sheena CAN be recruited almost at the beginning.
    No one says that it must be easy.
    lolien
    @ Edvin: How is the ToB part coming along ?
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Checking in to see how the mod is progressing. I was also wondering - is this mod EET compatible? Thinking of kickstarting a new EET campaign, and looking for a BG 2 npc mod to bring along.
  • RedDemonknightRedDemonknight Member Posts: 1
    I've downloaded the gog version of BG2:EE, and version 6.2 of Sheena to have a look at the modifications, and have another game (after almost 12 years). I just managed to crawl out of Irenicus' dungeon.

The half red dragon animation came from IWD2. It did not exist in BG2, and although my knowledge of BG2:EE is limited, I had a look around with DLTCEP and can't find a red half dragon animation in BG2:EE either (not suprising).
    The original BAM files were overwriting the Orog2 animation files (MNO2 prefix) but you replaced them with MDH2. There's no entry in the original BG2 game and BG2:EE (gog edition) for MDH2 (anisnd,ida), and your TP2 is not creating an entry either, so I'm not sure how the Red Half Dragon animation appears in the game.
    I haven't reached Firkraag yet, but decided to make a small modification to the MOD prior installing that I wanted to share with you. I changed animation 57962 (animate IDS) in spell K#polys (1st effect: graphic animation change), to 57408. The latter is an unused Histachii animation (the BAM files do not exist in BG2).

I then modified the TP2 as follow (after checking another MOD):
    /57408=HEX 0xE040 ENTRY IN SPELLS NEEDS TO BE REPLACED IN K#POLYS.SPL
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~tob~ THEN BEGIN
    APPEND ~animate.ids~ ~0xE040 HALF_RED_DRAGON~
    END

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~BG2EE~ THEN BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~animate.ids~ ~override~
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~0xE040 HISTACHII~ ~0xE040 HALF_RED_DRAGON~
    BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~anisnd.ids~ ~override~
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~0xE040 Mhis CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_HISTACHII~ ~0xE040 MHIS CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_HALF_RED_DRAGON~
    BUT_ONLY
    END

I also then renamed all animations (BAM files) MHIS instead of using prefix MDH2.
    /COPY NEW Animation files
    COPY ~Sheena\Bam\MHISa1.BAM~ ~override~
    COPY ~Sheena\Bam\MHISa1e.BAM~ ~override~

I'll try and test next week during my game play.

Quick comments:
    Firkraag: the vanilla fight is quite easy. A couple of traps will take care of him almost instantly. There's a DragRed.baf script that's available but not implemented in this version of Sheena, but it would made Firkraag a bit more challenging. It could be implemented as an option. All credit would need to go to Weimer and his Tactics Mod though. It simply avoids cheesy tactics like being able to buff or lay traps in front of Firkraag without implementing the full Tactics Mod Firkraag (with the insane 'wing buffeting' and 9th level mage spells).

Mazzy: the idea was that Sheena, with her emotional insecurity, would need a little push from a trusted friend to go ahead in a relationship. Mazzy provided that 'push', but you could give the same banter to Imoen as well, and in case Mazzy is not in the party (or drop it).

Quest: I might (but won't know before I return home mid Feb as all my personal is on my private computer) still have some parts of Sheena's quest in chapter 6, including a whole mountain area where you finally meet her stepdad, the famous smithy (which you have to rescue from another dragon and his goons), and end up with an upgraded sword+5 for Sheena, and a cool weapon for the party. I'll reach out if I find it and--of course-- if there's an interest in taking over the quest.

Since I'm only here for one last game, and enjoy myself, it does not really matter which direction the mod takes. I'm surprised to see that it still survives and that other people are enjoying it too.

Cheers,
    RK
    CaszidyEdvin
    @RedDemonknight
    Wait, you are original "Red Knight" !
    No one has seen you for at least 10 years !
    I am truly honored by your interest...

I'm not sure how the Red Half Dragon animation appears in the game.

Latest version of BG:EE (SoD) contains animations of many new enemies, including Red Half Dragon.
    I borrowed all data from here to be 100% sure that all will work correctly in BG2:EE and also in original BG2.

Firkraag: the vanilla fight is quite easy. A couple of traps will take care of him almost instantly. There's a DragRed.baf script that's available but not implemented in this version of Sheena, but it would made Firkraag a bit more challenging. It could be implemented as an option. All credit would need to go to Weimer and his Tactics Mod though. It simply avoids cheesy tactics like being able to buff or lay traps in front of Firkraag without implementing the full Tactics Mod Firkraag (with the insane 'wing buffeting' and 9th level mage spells).

I agree with you, but we two are veterans who know how to play the game effectively.
    I have heard that a lot of new players have problems with Firkraag and they are hardly able to kill him at the end of the game. But the optimal option "Stronger Firkraag" (for veteran players) is a good idea. It will be present in the next version (I will make my own version, Weimer version would probably prevent most players from getting Sheena early enough).

Mazzy: the idea was that Sheena, with her emotional insecurity, would need a little push from a trusted friend to go ahead in a relationship. Mazzy provided that 'push', but you could give the same banter to Imoen as well, and in case Mazzy is not in the party (or drop it).

Once again, I agree with you.
    Unfortunately, Mazzy was never very popular character.
    I have read some older reviews and opinions about the original mode and people were not excited about this condition. In addition, if you did not know about this condition, the entire romance was blocked and you did not know why. If I recall correctly, I fixed the dialog script so that Mazzy lines are still active, but are skipped (not a condition) if she is not in group. (I'll check it when I get home) But I also had another, better idea, which I unfortunately was not able to realize, because of my lack of skills. Maybe you'll be able to help me with that...

Quest: I might (but won't know before I return home mid Feb as all my personal is on my private computer) still have some parts of Sheena's quest in chapter 6, including a whole mountain area where you finally meet her stepdad, the famous smithy (which you have to rescue from another dragon and his goons), and end up with an upgraded sword+5 for Sheena, and a cool weapon for the party. I'll reach out if I find it and--of course-- if there's an interest in taking over the quest.

That would be awesome.
    I hate to admit it, but my skills are still not even nearly on the same level as was yours 10 years ago.
    I still have not managed to do things about quests and advanced dialogue scripts. (The funny thing is that my original plan was to include Sheena's father into her personal quest)

Also, if you are interested, I would like to invite you to participate in the further Sheena development.
    I think that you as the original author deserve at least that. Plus, I would like to know your opinion on some my ideas about further character development.
    MateoFrozen
  • AnardilAnardil Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2018
    I'm curious. I had Sheena transform into her half-dragon form once, rested and she turned back into human. Now I can't transform her back into half-dragon form.

Working as intended?

That was really odd, now I can, but I'm in combat. I'm guessing that you can only change into dragonform when in-combat? :)
    @Anardil

Definitely not intended.
    I never heard of anyone who had a similar problem.
    What is your platform, version of the game and how heavily is you game modded?

P.S.
    Are you in town?
    Sheena cant use half-dragon form near populated areas (she is shy).
    BTW, if is someone impatient do not worry because I and Red Knight are currently discussing about the future of the mod. I believe we will be able to solve everything by the end of this week (no later than early next week). Then I immediately let you know what the future will bring.
    MateoFrozen
  • AnardilAnardil Member Posts: 13
    Edvin said:

@Anardil

Definitely not intended.
    I never heard of anyone who had a similar problem.
    What is your platform, version of the game and how heavily is you game modded?

P.S.
    Are you in town?
    Sheena cant use half-dragon form near populated areas (she is shy).

Seemed to have resolved itself. Does it also have something to do with if you're in combat or not?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    It would be great if this mod I loved for years could be hosted somewhere accessible to the BWS. The dropbox link seems to be the reason why it's not available for BG2EE or EET?
    Kuselverlaine
    @PaulaMigrate
    Hmm, do you mean any specific place?
    Edvin said:

@PaulaMigrate
    Hmm, do you mean any specific place?

I understand that dropbox links stop to work after some time of inactivity and then BWS fails to download the mod. The tool also has problems when the download site requires some user interaction or verification.

Many mods now use github. It's very reliable and doesn't have all these down times we often encounter with mods hosted on Spellhold or G3.

I just read a post on Spellhold today where it says that the mod is not in the EET BWS selection because of the poor download link. Please don't blame the messenger.
    Kuselverlaine
    @PaulaMigrate
    I have no problem uploading mod to several more places.
    Anyway, I did not know about the problems with dropbox, thanks for the information.

This month I should finish a pretty massive update for this mod.
    Final bug fixes, rewriten dialogs, new dialogs, new items, new portrait and maybe even personal quest for Sheena. Then I upload the mod to more popular places. (I could do it now, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the overall quality).
    Edvin said:

@PaulaMigrate
    I have no problem uploading mod to several more places.
    Anyway, I did not know about the problems with dropbox, thanks for the information.

This month I should finish a pretty massive update for this mod.
    Final bug fixes, rewriten dialogs, new dialogs, new items, new portrait and maybe even personal quest for Sheena. Then I upload the mod to more popular places. (I could do it now, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the overall quality).

Good news. I played this always in BGT and missed it in EET. It's been some time but
    wasn't there something about her father and some sword that was hinted at but never happened? Sounded like an unfinished quest to me.
    Kuselverlaine