Skip to content

[Currently Broken, Looking for Help]NPC Bodies - A Death and Resurrection Overhaul for EET

DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
edited June 2019 in General Modding

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This mod currently is broken, the Github repo currently holds a broken version of the mod (I never uploaded the one I had some fixes on, and lost the source) and I need to fix it. Someone posted on the Github about having a versino that was nearly fixed and done so maybe this will be much faster than anticipated. If anyone is interested in helping feel free to ask and we can get to work on this.

Credit:

I'd like to give credit where it is due, as without these people I wouldn't have been able to do this. First is the Original Mod Author @gunman on the Beamdog Forums. Thanks to his work, I was able to expand it into the rest of the games and make it more compatible. The other two were @AstroBryGuy and @subtledoctor who were instrumental in helping me understand some of the intricacies of creating mods for Infinity Engine games with WeiDU that allowed me to make this mod fully compatible with other mods and easily made compatible with those that it could conflict with.

Description:

This mod is designed for players looking for a more difficult approach to death. Included are modules for altering the prices to resurrect a dead party member, PnP style -1 CON loss on resurrection, and adding a dead body system when a party member dies with consequences for not having the body when resurrecting. This is a rework of This Mod. The original mod did not support Baeloth or any Seige of Dragonspear NPCs, so I have added them to the mod. I also extended it into Baldurs Gate 2:Enhanced Edition now covering all party joinable NPCs through the Trilogy. I have also included EET compatability, but have not allowed it to be installed on the original games yet. I want to test and make sure everything works correctly on the current platform before opening it up to more (Though I'm almost 100% positive that outside of the EE NPCs the mod will be fully compatible with the old games as I don't see anything that I would think was EE specific). Perhaps if all goes well I may even expand it into IWD if I can figure it out, though I promise nothing on this. In this Wiki you will learn about each module as well as how to help make your favorite NPC and Spell Mods compatible.

Modules:

NPC Bodies:

Supported Games: BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, EET

With this module when a party member is killed, they drop a dead body item along with their inventory. This item is required to perform the resurrection. If you fail to posses the item in your party inventory when attempting to resurrect the dead party member, they will be permanently killed. Each party member has a unique item for their body that has its own weight and name. I used a basic formula to come up with weights that I thought were appropriate and also brought a challenge to carrying your dead around. With EET you can install a component in EET Tweaks (I think its in EET Tweaks, I will verify) that allows the main player character to die without a game over. This will also be covered if you installed this component. Other NPC mods and Spell mods that are supported are listed under the Compatability Tab.

There is Currently one minor issue with this module, please see the Issue Tracker for more information.

Change Raise Dead Price:

Note: This is the only part of the mod that will overwrite anything, and if these changes are overwritten they will not be anything game breaking. Only the cost of the service is stored in this file.

This component currently contains 3 different choices for the price of Raise Dead service at a temple. The current choices are:

For comparison Vanilla is 100 at level 1 to 2000 at level 23 and then jumps to 10,000 at 24 finishing at 18,000 at 40

Progressive (Starts at 1000 for level 1 and ramps up to 10,000 at level 40. Slightly cheaper at higher levels, but much more expensive at lower levels. Much smoother progression than vanilla)

Always 500 (Always costs 500 at any level)

Always 1000 (Always costs 1000 at any level)

PnP Style Constitution Loss on Resurrection:

With this module, whenever someone is resurrected they will incur a -1 CON penalty like in PnP. Spell mods supported by this module are listed under the Compatability Tab.

LINKS:
How to Contribute
Compatability Tab
Issue Tracker
Mod Wiki
Github/Download

Post edited by DymeDef on
tbone1RaduzielLoremasterIseweinGrammarsalad

Comments

• DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2018
    Deleted
    edited January 2018
    The mod has now been released. I have redone it to be compatible with just about anything possible outside of new NPCs and Spells that can resurrect. I have added a bunch of info on the wiki, and will be moving on to the compatability now. Thank you to all who have helped and especially to @gunman for this awesome mod and allowing people to expand it, without his work I wouldn't have been able to do this.

I'm also open to anyone who wants to help contribute to the compatability with other mods. Feel free to ask and I'll give you permission to edit the github.
    GusindaGrammarsalad
  • JasonX2JasonX2 Member Posts: 7
    It's not downloadable? Also- do you think you could add an option based on that Forgotten Realms Campaign guide where Resurrection was related to also having favour with the church in question, as well as having NPCs in league with the chosen Temple deity's alignment, opposing alignments barred, or charged moreso?

There was some stuff on it in the Dragon Magazine, Forgotten Realms and I think there was an article covering this subject in Dragon Magazine at later editions- It'd be a neat addition that could link with the reputation mod, and the chance to add temples to er- less reputable deities- or alternatively, place value on the importance of some of the more stronger evil-aligned party members you encounter in the game
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Does this mod impact party member's abilities to raise dead or resurrect or harper's call?
    Is this just limited of getting a fallen NPC back by temple service?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • solace7788solace7788 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've recently tried using the GitHub hosted version of the mod, but it did not work out of the box for me. In fact the .exe did not even like running at all, complaining of syntax errors in the .tp2 file.

I am not a modder, but I do code. By following up each error, and then modifying other files in analogy with other mods I have, I was able to get the mod to mostly work. I can confirm that it changed the revive price at temples, the CON penalty on resurrection now works. The resurrection also correctly requires the presence of the NPC body in inventory or else the character permanently dies. Finally, the CON penalty no longer instantly re-kills the NPC if they are on a CON breakpoint. All these things did not work in the mod files currently hosted.

The only remaining problem with my version is that NPCs do not drop bodies when the NPC dies inside an _indoor_ location (like a cave or a house). A body item correctly dropps only when killed outdoors. I can't seem to fix this. I am using the mod on a BG:EE game, with no SoD.

I am happy to provide my version if it's something the GitHub repo wants. I also just wanted to bring these issues to the attention of whomever may want to know. Given all the errors present, I think it's likely that the GitHub repo simply has an out of date version of the mod.

Let me close by saying the idea for this mod is really unique, and really appreciated for hardcore runs. I haven't seen this idea in any other mod I'm familiar with (that's not to say I know of a great many mods, but still). Temple revive and cleric spells badly need a tweak like this for hardcore, so I really appreciate the work that went into making this, thanks :)
  • dukdukgoosdukdukgoos Member Posts: 22
    I'm very interested in this mod as many of its features have been on my "wishlist" for quite some time. Is there a fully working version somewhere, or as the post above says is it pretty broken at this point?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited November 2018
    The penalty (-1 con) is permanent or temporary?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    As a previous poster mentioned, the version hosted on GIThub spits a parse error for the main tp2.
  • dukdukgoosdukdukgoos Member Posts: 22
    I suggest opening an issue on the Github repo itself. The repo owner is more likely get an alert for that than posts in this thread.
    edited June 2019
    Sheesh, I forgot all about this. Hah, you should be able to fork it if you want to work on it yourself. If all goes well with my current install I have planned for tomorrow I'll look into fixing this. This was made so hastily at first but I've gotten a lot better at this stuff from modding other games and should be able to fix this fairly easily. Just need some time, and if my install goes well I'll be wanting this. It should be mostly working outside of it only working on the base characters, spell compatability and the tp2 file seems to be broke which should be easy to fix. Thiugh I dont even remember if I tested it much tbh, it's been so long. Not sure if the mod would need any updates since I made it. Havent been keeping up with the games updates, not even sure where to start with that front tbh.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Any news on this? I really like the concept.
  • ROLLROLLROLLROLLROLLROLL Member Posts: 21
    Hi to everyone ! :)

Is this mod working now (JUNE 2021) ?

By the past, several issues were mentioned:

°-1 CONSTITUTION LOSS: not working.
    °Chunked NPC dropped their bodies instead of permadeath.
    °Dead NPC in «indoor environment» (cave, house, tower, dungeon), didn’t drop bodies.
    °Prices at temple, not fixed.
    °CONSTITUTION penalty re-kill NPC if they are on a CON break point.

+

°Can you raise NPC by yourself with scroll/spell or only at Temple ?
    °For how long will stay dead bodies on ground if you not pick them up straight after they died ?

MANY THANKS !
    especially for people here who create mod or test them :)

o:)
    @Mortianna
    @gunman
    @DymeDef
    @AstroBryGuy
    @subtledoctor