Skip to content

[mod] Skie - The Cost of One Girl's Soul

Comments

• egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    Is it possible to play "SkieCost" with "SkipChateauIrenicus"?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    edited February 2018
    It has not been tested. I suppose @argent77 may know. The quest item itself is located
    behind the painting, in the room next to the chamber with cages, where CHARNAME wakes up

So it depends if we have a sec to check the container and/or if all items from that specific containter are later moved to rubble of the destroyed building on Waukeen's Promenade.

If it's not compatible, I think I can talk to argent77 and make those two work nicely. While it's nice to find the item along with Imoen (there is a mini-talk to remind that this is the dagger that caused quite a hassle), having around Imoen is not essential.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Items that can be found in containers are compatible with "Skip Chateau Irenicus". Scripted item rewards or items in the inventory of creatures have to be dealt with individually. The same is true for NPCs you may encounter in the dungeon.
    LavaDelVortel
    @argent77 - so, as the dagger is where I wrote it is (spoiler, huh), and there is no other Chateau Irenicus element in the mod, that means those will work just fine, right? (the quest starts with baldur.bcs so the area also does not really matter).

@egbert - I suppose you have your answer.

Cheers!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    I don't like the placement of the item. could you not have had it placed somewhere later in the chateau (the private chamber for example)? why so close to the spawn point?

especially in the private chamber ("bedroom") you'd expect to find something important and revealing, with the traps and all, so it would be the ideal place imo
    Loldrup
    Sorry, but no. The mod is to work with both Skip Chateau Irenicus and Dungeon-be-gone. If the dagger was later some other container, perhaps it would work with argent77's mod, but it wouldn't work with Dungeon-be-gone without additional work and checks. Also there is greater chance that Imoen is still in the party out there, in the beginning, and that means there is a greater chance that the small talk with her will happen.
    bob_veng
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    okay, I get it
    New version is up! Here are the changes:

-Fixed all crossmod talks (0.99f)
    -Added new croddmod banters: Adrian, Isra, Ninde (0.99f)
    -EET compatibility (0.99f)

All new talks were created along with Rhaella, the author of Adrian and Isra; co-author of Ninde.
    ThacoBellmegamike15Caszidy
    Hi! @jastey noticed a possible problem with EET code. It should be gone now - all thanks to her! Version 0.99g is up :)
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited February 2018
    Wellll... the thing is that I noticed some inconsistencies with the EET function for continuous NPCs the Skie mod uses. The syntax of version 0.99g is correct, though, it would be an internal EET thing. I wrote here about what I noticed.
    As long as Skie is in party upon transition in EET, everythin should be fine. :)
    LavaDelVortel
    Again, thanks Jastey :) You're great! :)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    I hope I'm not too late but it was mentioned that Skie in EET and Sandrah mod wouldn't be compatible. This would be a shame since I'd love to play both. So I made a bit research.
    It might interest you that this can be solved with minimum effort
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59012-mod-sandrah-saga-for-eet/page-14#entry600234

I hope it'll come to this for my next install.
    Kusel
    edited February 2018
    Good to know, thank you. The thing is - but it's up to players to decide if they can accept it or not - that both mods speak of Skie a bit differently. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but I think in Sandrah...
    Skie is considered to be a Child of Bhaal, or something. And I do disagree with the idea. That's why I said the mods are incompatible story-wise.

But I'll just leave it to players to decide if they can live with using 2 mods, each with different idea about that character. Heh.

Good to know, thank you. The thing is - but it's up to players to decide if they can accept it or not - that both mods speak of Skie a bit differently. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but I think in Sandrah...

Skie is considered to be a Child of Bhaal, or something. And I do disagree with the idea. That's why I said the mods are incompatible story-wise.

But I'll just leave it to players to decide if they can live with using 2 mods, each with different idea about that character. Heh.
    My understanding is that with setting the global, there's only one Skie in any game. I played the Sandrah one and it only comes late when you meet Valen and get the dagger from her. Yours happens much earlier.
    If the player rescued your Skie during the first 2 chapters of SoA, and the global is set for Sandrah, that Valen event will never happen but the party will still have the necessary access to the BG town.
    The Sandrah stuff only happens if either your mod is not installed or the player decides not to solve it.
    There's no joinable Skie in Sandrah.
    Kusel
    edited February 2018
    @PaulaMigrate please define minimum effort? Two mods introduce the same character with different characterization in mind, I do not think there is any other solution than to decide one to be included and one to be left out for the same runthrough to make it make sense contentwise.
    edited February 2018
    Oh, yeah, I know she's not joinable in Sandrah Saga, but there were some suggestions about that idea I put in the spoiler. The two mods just tell different stories. They may be technically compatibile, but their stories aren't. But I'll really leave that to the players to decide if they want to mix those. I'm just making a note and if someone wants to use both, it's fine with me that they have that ability.
    edited February 2018
    jastey said:

@PaulaMigrate please define minimum effort? Two mods introduce the same character with different characterization in mind, I do not think there is any other solution than to decide one to be included and one to be left out for the same runthrough to make it make sense contentwise.

You still misunderstand, The Sandrah Skie will not appear at all even when installed, if the global that Roxanne mentioned is set. It's a switch ON/OFF. By setting the global, you open the drawbridge to Baldur Gate City at a reasonable momnent and you switch OFF any Sandrah Skie appearance. It's dead simple.
    Kusel
    @PaulaMigrate I didn't see your answer(s) when posting my question. In that case, it sounds as if it's all resolved (and more or less up to Sandrah Saga to provide compatibility).
    edited February 2018
    Upon the next update, I will change the note slightly from:
    The mod is not compatible (story-wise) with other mods that add Soultaker and/or Skie plots to Baldur's Gate II, including my own Skie mod released years ago. The mod will not work well with the Sandrah Saga, as the mod too adds the Soultaker/Skie plot to the second part of the game. Also Eldoth makes a small appearance in this mod.

to:
    The mod may be incompatible (story-wise) with other mods that add Soultaker, Skie and/or Eldoth Kron plots to Baldur's Gate II, including my own Skie mod released years ago.

...as I know new (in)compatibilities may come and go and I think I don't want to name any, excluding my own old Skie mod as I know I won't update it (old Skie mod will never work well - again, story-wise - with SoD content; the new one - Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul - is the one to be used with EE games as it was made to continue her SoD plot and with EE games in mind).

Cheers!
    lolien
  • KuselKusel Member Posts: 50
    jastey said:

@PaulaMigrate I didn't see your answer(s) when posting my question. In that case, it sounds as if it's all resolved (and more or less up to Sandrah Saga to provide compatibility).

I looked at the code in sandrah that was posted in Spellhold and SetGlobal("SanSoDSkie","Global",6) is simulating that skie was rescued and Baldur City is no longer hostile but you never see the rescue happen.
    This way if the Skie mod sets the global when its own rescue svene is done, the sandrah mod will know about the rescue and will skip it.
    This way both mods can be side by side in the game with no problem.

@PaulaMigrate if the skie mod doesn't want to set this global, you can just enter it with console after you did the rescue and it's working the same.
    edited February 2018
    I advice against including variables that disable mod content from other mods. It's up to the *other* mod to detect and consider the appropriate variable. Because it is and should remain the other modder's choice whether ot nor to disable content of his/her own mod.
    ThacoBellLavaDelVorteltbone1Grammarsalad
    jastey said:

I advice against including variables that disable mod content from other mods. It's up to the *other* mod to detect and consider the appropriate variable. Because it is and should remain the other modder's choice whether ot nor to disable content of his/her own mod.

Why not ask Roxanne (like I did). She has already published this two years ago http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27996#entry243919 that her mod was designed for just this case.
    Yes, yes, you don't talk to each other for whatever stupid reasons, that's not good for the players.
    Bleriot
    This is not a thread for that kind of discussion. Roxanne decided what she's going to do and the issue is solved, so please, calm down and just enjoy the content there is - in whatever mod it was published. Cheers.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Somewhere along the road with Skie in the party the game crashes to desktop after the dialog

The dialog appears at random times somewhere. I do not believe it's location dependent.

I'm running a modded BG2EE V2.3 game on MacOS.

LavaDelVortel
    edited February 2018
    @StefanO - But just with the end of the dialogue? Is that when it crashes? Because I realized it uses END instead of EXIT, but I think it shouldn't crash the game. Unless it works differently on MacOS. Was there some other weird behavior you noticed?

If you may use console to disable the talk: C:SetGlobal("L#2SDSkieImoenTOB","GLOBAL",1)

I hope you're enjoying the mod, apart from that bug, of course.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Anything else was fine. I enjoyed the mod and will disable the talk.

Thanks for your work!
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks! Let me know once you finish the game so I knew it worked :) I found some other banters that end with END without EXIT. Will upload the new version today :) Hopefully soon.
    Updated! I hope that was the reason behind that problem! Anyway, version 0.99h, with banter fixes and readme update I mentioned before, is up.
    Cheers!
    StefanOThacoBell
  • KuselKusel Member Posts: 50
    jastey said:

I learned that new mods provide compatibility with existing ones. In this case the older mod offers already mechanism foreseen for this case. Seems logical to use that.
    But there seems to be other issues here and I stand corrected.
    Bleriot
    As it was already said - this issue is closed. Let us just move on and get back to the main subject of this thread.

Speaking of that - as it seems there are players who are enjoying the mod, @StefanO seems to be finishing ToB already, I hope to move from 0.99 versions to 1.00 soon. Perhaps new version should get the flag already. So if you encountered any problems or anything, let me know :)

StefanO - let me know once you hit the epilogues so I knew everything else worked fine. Cheers! And again thanks for your report. I wouldn't have noticed those END vs EXIT issue if it wasn't for your post.
    Caszidy