Skip to content

Fade v4.0 with ToB released!

Comments

• verlaineverlaine Member Posts: 47
    @PaulaMigrate
    The mod in link you gave works like charm. Shame that it ain't released just because modders are at war with another instead collaborating.
    PaulaMigrate
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited February 2018
    verlaine said:

@PaulaMigrate

The mod in link you gave works like charm. Shame that it ain't released just because modders are at war with another instead collaborating.
    Hold on to the zip for other installs, you won't find it anymore. It's no longer in the repository.
    Anyway, it serves as proof that it can be done and one day there'll be a *legal* version.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    @verlaine @PaulaMigrate => I am not sure if you're talking about some "secret version" of Fade. And what war? Firstly, no one talked to me about any other version of Fade (so it would be hard to fight over some version I don't even know about). Secondly, if you mean my "fight" with Roxanne, it was about something else: about making versions of mods that work only on EET instead of versions that work on all platforms and about writing crossmods and releasing them without even talking to the other author so he/she could make sure they are in-character.

@verlaine @PaulaMigrate => I am not sure if you're talking about some "secret version" of Fade. And what war? Firstly, no one talked to me about any other version of Fade (so it would be hard to fight over some version I don't even know about). Secondly, if you mean my "fight" with Roxanne, it was about something else: about making versions of mods that work only on EET instead of versions that work on all platforms and about writing crossmods and releasing them without even talking to the other author so he/she could make sure they are in-character.

I'm talking about all the mods that were made EET-compatible by a team of modders involved with EET development and testing. I think that what they did was intended to go into fixpack until the real modders either did an own conversion or adopt the patch into a mod update. No *secret version* there.
    But then there was a heated discussion on Spellhold about those fixes (fixing other people's mods without their consent) and it seems that everything was stopped thereafter.
    Some of the mods from that phase are now tagged with SUPPORT weidu flag http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28953&hl=, all others seem to have gone. Fade was among them.
    Don't think that there was secret version. Rather WIP versions, you could find them in github when you followed some modder activity. Nothing was published later and now it's gone. Bit of a shame that.
    And those who did it like agb1 k4thos roxanne are inactive for long , so how to bring it back?
    edited February 2018
    The problem is that the mod wasn't fixed. It was made to work only with EET, while there are players who deserve the fixed version and who do not play EET. That's what I said about IEP mods and I made fixed and updated version the same day. Also new fixes were included and a bunch of translations. It's not like those things should be only for "vanilla players" or only EET players. Those should be available for all.

The problem is that Fade is a much bigger mod and much more complicated. Her SoA scripts are not always working great. People had problems during the abduction quest and a bunch of other places, while other could get through those parts. As I said, the code is really fragile and tangled in the mod. Some people already wanted to help and then just disappeared. It's because the task isn't easy.

I was never against updating the mods. I actually were working with K4thos on versions that will work on all platforms and we released those mods. New CoI versions are here thanks to him and his great skills. I also hope that more mods will be updated like that. And not only my mods, but many different mods. For example I would love to see fully working version of FFT for all platforms.

EDIT:
    Yeah, I hoped to work with agb1 on that if he's back. I worked with him, too, and I believe he could actually find a way of dealing with this mod's "tangled nature".
    Looks like we're talking about different things then. In my EET version, the Pasha and the vampire quests work fine. Thy had some issues back in BGT long ago, so they are fixed. I had Face twice in my games now, one male protagonist, one female and all was fine.
    Fade was one of those mods that required more than the k4thos tools to be run for conversion. It's complex like Chloe or Amber.

Anyway, I hear that there's not much to do here other than wait for an official release to happen some day.
    verlaine

Looks like we're talking about different things then. In my EET version, the Pasha and the vampire quests work fine. Thy had some issues back in BGT long ago, so they are fixed. I had Face twice in my games now, one male protagonist, one female and all was fine.
    Fade was one of those mods that required more than the k4thos tools to be run for conversion. It's complex like Chloe or Amber.

Anyway, I hear that there's not much to do here other than wait for an official release to happen some day.

OK, insightful. I'll hold on to what I've got. Why change when it works? Yes, pasha quest is fixed. I found nothing wrong so far but did not reach ToB until now.
    edited February 2018
    The problem is that since I do not use EET or I did not play with BGT, I do not know what "more things" you mean. I can release version with K4thos' code for EET-friendly chapter numbering, I can implement that in few minutes, BUT I am not aware of other possible problems and what was changed in EET version.

EDIT:

Right now I have these:

EET-compatible chapter check (v4.1)
    Added EET to GAME_IS check (v4.1)
    Fixed AR0900 script trigger (v4.1)
    Fixed tokens - both in ANSI and UTF-8 (v4.1)
    Fixed audio uninstall (v4.1)

What else is needed?
    As we can see, no new replies were posted. Anyway, I made this experimental version that theoretically should work, but as I do not use EET version, it was not tested. The new version is called "v5.0 (experimental)". Until it is sure it causes no additional problems, the old version (v4.0) will also be available. Uplon clicking download button at SHS you will be able to choose which version you want to use.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    "My" Fade v4 (downloaded at Feb 3rd) is WEIDU-versioned as "BETA 7.3".
    Does that make any sense?
    It's because old packages had wrong version flags.
    Why not flag it as "4.0"?
    edited February 2018
    I just said - it was a mistake. Fade v4.0 had version flag from closed beta. It should have been 4.0. New one has 5.0.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    This mod is pretty cool, are there any plans to expand it in the future?
    The mod is finished and there won't be new content. Only fixing to make it more stable. Also because the original author has retired.
    Has Fade a (custom) script which needs to be activated?
    I don't understand your question. She just "has" her script, as any other NPC. Every NPC has it.
    Under Record / Customize / Script possible scripts can be selected.
    Nearly all BG2:EE characters default to "Advanced AI".

But some older NPCs (pe Amber) have their own (pe "M#AmbeAI")
    or run better with an old one (pe Petsy with "BARD CONTROLLED").

Ok, your "need to be activated" was a bit confusing. No, Fade has no script like that.
    Thank's to @jastey the mod is now updated to v5.1 (experimental) - an important EET piece of code was added. The mod is downloadable at SHS. Cheers.
    Fina92
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I posted this elsewhere, but I will add it here as well. I ran into a bug where banters are triggering between Dorn and Fade (only the very first comment by Dorn since Fade isn't there to respond) without Fade actually being in my party or having even being met yet. It looks like the banters are only looking for Dorn to be in the party instead of both Dorn and Fade. Thank you for updating and maintaining this mod! :smile:
    Yeah, I saw that post :) Thanks. I hope to upload the updated version during the upcoming week :)
    Dawglicious
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I've read elsewhere (such as here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44296/mods-that-restore-the-connection-to-guarded-compound ) that:

Fade's quest is somehow related to the Guarded Compound in the Temple District, but you should be prohibited from entering it until you get her in the party

This has somewhat concerned me because I have the Fade mod installed in my current playthrough, but I was able to enter the Compound (but did NOT clear it - just walked in and then left when I was told to) in Chapter 2 without having met Fade yet. Should I be concerned that the mod isn't working as intended, or that Fade's quest could be messed up when I actually undertake it at a later time?
    To be honest, I don't know. I'm afraid you'll need to check that on your own skin. SoA portion of the mod was coded by someone else and it's quite... old. I believe it should still be playable, but I can't tell you for sure.

Please, if you'll find out, let me know so I knew there should be some note made for other players.

Cheers!
  • lightbringer32lightbringer32 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks so much for updating this mod and including some EET compatibility. I've been wanting to include Fade in a playthrough for some time.

I have two questions:

1. Can I spawn Fade outside of the thieves guild compound and get her to join? I know I can spawn her via the console. What I don't know is if she has any fancy scripts that will break if I talk to her and get her to join when Aran Linvail isn't nearby and I haven't yet paid my 15k to choose a side. Like many players, I try to do just about everything in Amn before sailing to Spellhold and I'd like for her to be there for it all.

2. Can I raze the Shadow Theive's compound later in the game? One of my other mods (maybe Unfinished Business?) allows me to get a quest from Brage post-Spellhold to go clear out the Shadow Thieves. I know that Fade goes hostile if you "turn on Aran Linvail". What I don't know is how that works. Is it as simple as "if Aran=hostile && Fade=InParty, then Fade=hostile" or does it involve specific dialogue triggers. If I cooperate grudgingly with the Shadow thieves early on, then go to clear them out later, can I avoid Fade's wrath somehow?

Thanks for your time and consideration :)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

1. Can I spawn Fade outside of the thieves guild compound and get her to join? I know I can spawn her via the console. What I don't know is if she has any fancy scripts that will break if I talk to her and get her to join when Aran Linvail isn't nearby and I haven't yet paid my 15k to choose a side. Like many players, I try to do just about everything in Amn before sailing to Spellhold and I'd like for her to be there for it all.

Pay the fee, pick up the NPC, don't do the following quests until you're ready to move on. I do this all the time, if only for the Amulet of Power and Ring of Protection +2.

2. Can I raze the Shadow Theive's compound later in the game? One of my other mods (maybe Unfinished Business?) allows me to get a quest from Brage post-Spellhold to go clear out the Shadow Thieves. I know that Fade goes hostile if you "turn on Aran Linvail". What I don't know is how that works. Is it as simple as "if Aran=hostile && Fade=InParty, then Fade=hostile" or does it involve specific dialogue triggers. If I cooperate grudgingly with the Shadow thieves early on, then go to clear them out later, can I avoid Fade's wrath somehow?

Thanks for your time and consideration :)

There's no way directly in game. You'd have to go into the E3Fade.baf folder and delete the following lines, then reinstall the mod:
    IF InParty(Myself) Global("AttackedThieves","GLOBAL",1) THEN RESPONSE #100 StartDialogueNoSet(Player1) END IF !InParty(Myself) Global("AttackedThieves","GLOBAL",1) THEN RESPONSE #100 ChangeAIScript("WTASIGHT",DEFAULT) Enemy() EquipMostDamagingMelee() Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) END
  • lightbringer32lightbringer32 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the tips @Artemius_l .
    1. I was kind of thinking that's what I would go ahead and do. Seems simpler. I've been thinking about raising the gp cost from 20k to 100k, to help justify the delay in going to Spellhold. Or I can just leave it as is and go adventuring around like I always do. That's what headcanon is for :wink:

2. Thanks for the heads up on the script section. I should be able to change it in Near Infinity. I did that to remove Minsc's berserk timer in Nashkel. Should work here too. Thanks!
  • aeternuscaligoaeternuscaligo Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I am planning to start a new playthrough with EET and have Fade v5.1. I installed a number of mods including EET via Big World Setup. BWS didn't include an option for Fade, so I am trying to install the mod afterwards using the executable in the game folder. the installation gives me the following error:

WARNING: internal label [133] not found in processed DLG [RASAA25J]
    ERROR: COPY_TRANS RASAA25J state #133 out of range 0-0, SKIPPED
    ERROR: Cannot process COPY_TRANS (Failure("COPY_TRANS out of range"))
    ERROR: processing COPY_TRANS [tb#compile_patches/tb#_compile_eval_buffer/fade/dialogues/ee.d]: Failure("COPY_TRANS out of range")

From, Googling a bit, it looks like this relates to dialogue. I also saw similar errors noted for other mods, but didn't see any user-side solutions (the instances I found for other mods look like they were fixed by the mod authors). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited December 2018
    @aeternuscaligo If you say "afterwards", make sure you install Fade before the EET_End.exe is excuted. Meaning, if you made a full, complete EET install using the tool, you'd need to uninstall EET_End.exe (just double-click it and let it run like a mod deinstall), install Fade, and then - this is important - rerun EET_End.exe by double-clicking again and chosing your language.
    The reason why the RASAA25J.dlg is giving errors if you try to install Fade after the EET_End.exe is already installed is that in the finalized EET, this dialogue file is empty as all dialogues are unified to one (per NPC) for the whole game.
    EDIT: The EET_End.exe should be in your EET game folder.
    aeternuscaligo