Skip to content

NWN's "Did you know?"

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
Over on the Infinity Engine side of the forums we have a very fascinating and popular thread full of little known facts, clever strategies, hidden easter eggs, and all sorts of things you wouldn't expect or be surprised to learn about the games. I figured that it would be a great idea to get one started over here for NWN. Don't be shy! If you think you know something about NWN that may not be general knowledge or is just really neat, go ahead and share it here!

I will start with a little easter egg that I read about long ago. The books sometimes have things written on them. In this screenshot is a book that has "Bioware Corp" written on the cover, and on the spine is written "This is a book" in Greek letters.
voidofopinionLyraVrenProontStummvonBordwehrMrDamageBelgarathMTHTheBarbarianDerpCitytbone1JuliusBorisovmlnevesepscythedunahanArvia

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    IIRC, killing an enemy while possessing a familiar causes you to not gain EXP for the kill, unfortunately. I could be wrong, but I remember testing it with this result.
    TressetvoidofopinionJuliusBorisovProont
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    There's a store in one village in Darkness over Daggerford with a stuffed Poly the Parrot - yes, the one from Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module.
    TressetJuliusBorisovProontdunahan
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Taro94 said:

There's a store in one village in Darkness over Daggerford with a stuffed Poly the Parrot - yes, the one from Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module.

I never got to play that module actually. I mean, I guess I can now, but I haven't started it yet. I get the impression that Polly is quite the character though from what I have heard...
    voidofopinionJuliusBorisov
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    If you wanted to know who ‘you’ would be as a D&D character, you can fill out a questionare to find out.

http://www.easydamus.com/character.html

Be warned, this one has 129 odd questions.
    voidofopinionJuliusBorisovProont
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The UK edition didn't ship with a cloth map (nor did Baldur's Gate). :(
    MrDamageThorssonProont
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    MrDamage said:

Did you know....
    The original release of the game came with a RL cloth map that I still have!

Try downloading that bugger!
    Okay sorry, there’s probably millions of those out there...

Oooh yeah. It was good at cleaning glasses
    Mrpenfold666The_Guilty_PartySylvus_Moonbow
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Staran said:

MrDamage said:

Did you know....

Noooooooooooooooooooo
    Proont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Morag is the name of the second most commonly reported loch monster in Scotland?
    StummvonBordwehrProontpscythe
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    edited February 2018
    I think someone could make a YouTube video with all these fun facts about NWN. :)

Also, Pirates of the Sword Coast was full of (not necessarily hidden) references, so it might be cheating to mention stuff like this here, but here it goes.

There's a "Jaws" reference in one NPC dialogue, in which the NPC says:

"Sorry, mate. Scared o' sharks. Have been e'er since I was a kid. Great White ate me grandmother, aye? She was swimmin' out in the waves then suddenly this music started playin' an' the fin came out o' the water an' then... it was horrible, just horrible...".
    TressetProontGrymlorde
    Tresset said:

There was a cut ending to HotU where if you learned Mephistopheles true name you could command him to become a chambermaid at the Yawning Portal. I am guessing that was cut because it was too silly.

They better bring this back as part of that "restore cut content" card.
    Proont
    DerpCity said:

Tresset said:

There was a cut ending to HotU where if you learned Mephistopheles true name you could command him to become a chambermaid at the Yawning Portal. I am guessing that was cut because it was too silly.

They better bring this back as part of that "restore cut content" card.
    @DerpCity as far as I can tell from the times I poked around in the module, all the content from this cut ending is still in there and was merely disabled. I don't think it would take too much effort for someone knowledgeable to enable it again.
    DerpCityProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    There are rumors that the character (and original portrait) of Boddyknock were a tribute to Leonard Nimoy's Spock from the original Star Trek. No idea if this was ever confirmed or not.

StummvonBordwehrProont
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    Yep there were a bunch of portraits which were traced from pictures of celebrities. They were mostly patched out.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Portrait
    TressetProont
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    MrDamage said:

Staran said:

MrDamage said:

Did you know....

Noooooooooooooooooooo
    Yep. The map was the most practical incentive for any game.
    LyraVren said:

This is probably widely know, but you miss out on some funny stuff if you never play through SoU and HotU with a Druid or Ranger.

Find out the rest of this thrilling tale from Waterdeep rats!

There is even a secret room in HotU that is only possible to get into if you are a ranger or druid!
    tbone1StummvonBordwehrProont
    edited February 2018
    This is definitely a bug, but I just learned that Gnomish Rangers can forego any of their Favored Enemies in order to take Greater Spell Focus: Illusion. I find it really amusing that this slipped testing. Guess no one wanted to play a gnomish ranger.
    voidofopinionLyraVrenProont