Skip to content

Useful Plot Items for BG2:EE

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited April 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
This simple mod gives a few of the plot items in BG2 some abilities. I disliked how plot items that remained with you even after their quests are complete become essentially garbage to throw away and decided to give them some powers to make them worth keeping. These currently include:

- Mask of King Strohm III - +1 bonus to AC and may use True Sight 1x/day.
- Shadow Dragon Wardstone - is now an ioun stone, Cloak of Displacement effects (+2 to save vs. death, breath and wands, +4 AC vs. missiles)
- Symbol of Amaunator - Sunray 1x/day.

More useless plot items will be included with updates.

Download the mod here: https://github.com/ArtemiusI/Useful-Plot-Items-for-BG2-EE/releases

Screenshots

Mask of King Strohm III

Shadow Dragon Wardstone

Symbol of Amaunator
lansounetQueegonjackjackAedanEdvinFlashburnamyaeStefanObooinyoureyestbone1

Comments

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Interesting mod! Shouldn't the mask have protection from critical hits like regular helmets? I hope you put the blur visual effect on the ioun stone :wink:
    jackjack
  • lansounet said:

Interesting mod! Shouldn't the mask have protection from critical hits like regular helmets? I hope you put the blur visual effect on the ioun stone :wink:

As of the latest patch, I believe headwear protecting from critical hits is no longer hardcoded, so it's a judgment call whether the old mask is sturdy enough to protect like a helmet would.
    jackjack
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    This is great, instant true sight for mages goes a long way. Wonder what you'll have for Rebel Orb. :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Awesome!
    Also, the .tra file is already available. Thanks! Now that I am done with the Arcane Archer kit, I am going to translate this mod as well :)
    Just one note: I think that the wizard slayer should not be able to use these items.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Amazing idea!
    If you need inspiration, here are all the other interesting plot items that can be used. ;)

Scepter of Radiance - PLOT02B - 66561
    Mechanical Bird - OHNMBIRD - 93601
    Talisman of the Hearthfire - OHNAMUL1 - 88860
    Sigil of Tyr - OHDSIGIL - 89729
    Deirex's Gems - MISCBH - 1061
    Light Gem - MISC9R - 865
    Harper Amulet - MISC5E - 24489
    Keepsake Locket - MISC5W - 47339
    Mantle of Waukeen - MISC8L - 47159
    Kurtulmak's Crystal Shard - MISC8Z - 852
    @Edvin

Mechanical Bird has a use in ToB
    Talisman of Hearthfire is a quest item in SoA, you lose it
    Deirex' Gems are a quest item in SoA, you lose it
    Mantle of Waukeen is a quest item in SoA, you lose it

The rest remain in inventory even after they did their thing, sure.
    lansounet[Deleted User]
    Queegon said:

Talisman of Hearthfire is a quest item in SoA, you lose it

Not necessarily.
    You can complete quest and keep amulet.
    Queegon said:

Deirex' Gems are a quest item in SoA, you lose it

Not necessarily.
    You can kill Jarlaxle and keep gems.
    (I do it every time.)
    Queegon said:

Mantle of Waukeen is a quest item in SoA, you lose it

Not necessarily.
    Let lords kill each other and keep mantle.
    So what you propose is basically "I'm chaotic evil killing everyone but I want something out of it regardless."
    in case 1, you let a guy die, in case 2 you slaughter the Underdark, case 3 is self-explanatory.
    Minsc and Boo would have you jump on their sword while you can, evil!
    tbone1Proontleeux
    edited April 2016
    1 case = You can save him AND keep amulet. Amulet only make fight little easier.
    2 case = Even if you kill Jarlaxle, citizens of the drow city will not be hostile.
    In addition, Jarlaxle mentioned how incredibly valuable gems are...
    3 case = "Murder! Death! KILL! Muwahahaha-ha-ha!" >:)

And yes, I play chaotic alignment. B)
    Proont
  • I could maybe see the rationale for Deirex's Gems or the Mantle of Waukeen, but the Talisman of Hearthfire has a use, and if you choose to forgo it, that's on your head.

In addition, the entire point of the Harper Locket is that it's a silly worthless trinket, so it doesn't make any sense for it to have an enchantment. Likewise, the Keepsake Locket is there for sentimental purposes. If you add an effect to that, you may as well make Jaheira's lock of hair enchanted as well :p
    Kaigen said:

Likewise, the Keepsake Locket is there for sentimental purposes. If you add an effect to that, you may as well make Jaheira's lock of hair enchanted as well :p

The seller of said locket acknoledges some little magic being used, I don't see how making it Jaheira-only and for example a +2 AC/saves amulet is wrong. In the end, since you are romancing her already to have the option to get it, she will have Harper's Pin anyway.

EdvinCaszidy
    Attached the Italian translation.
    Thank you very much for your modding activity - it is very welcomed :)
    Question: are you interested in getting feedback about your mods?
  • Queegon said:

Kaigen said:

Likewise, the Keepsake Locket is there for sentimental purposes. If you add an effect to that, you may as well make Jaheira's lock of hair enchanted as well :p

The seller of said locket acknoledges some little magic being used, I don't see how making it Jaheira-only and for example a +2 AC/saves amulet is wrong. In the end, since you are romancing her already to have the option to get it, she will have Harper's Pin anyway.

On the other hand, what I like about what Artemius is doing is the powers/enchantments on the items are directly related to their purpose. The minor enchantment on the locket is merely to explain how quickly you get yours and Jaheira's picture in there, and the locket itself is there to remind you of your affection. With that in mind, if you're going to add anything, wouldn't something morale-related make more sense? How about a bonus on saves vs. Fear and Charm?
    Cahir
    Any chance to update the mod with the translation I posted?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Maybe. Looks like someone else made their own version of the mod so I lost interest in updating though.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Awesome idea!
    leeux
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    AionZ wrote: »
    Maybe. Looks like someone else made their own version of the mod so I lost interest in updating though.

Hey, I totally understand that you don't want to continue since someone else is already doing this, but can you link or tell me where this more complete mod is? Thanks!