Skip to content

Having some difficulty getting started with BGEE

CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
edited February 2018 in BG:EE Mods
Basic game runs fine.

I want to start adding fixes, tweaks, mods, npc's a little at a time.

So, here I am trying to install the latest version of NPC Project, i.e., bg1npc-v23.3.exe

I'm getting the fatal error message that I need to install into the Infinity game engine folder.

I'm installing bg1npc-v23.3.exe into what I THINK is the game folder but I must be wrong about something. I tried to add some screen shots to show you what folder I am installing but I guess there's no way to do that here.

Any thoughts? Once I get going I'll be fine. I modded Tutu big time and don't remember having this issue.

I realize this is very basic... but I'm a basic kind of guy. CT

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    What OS are you on? I'm on Windows, and for me it's ProgramFiles(x86)/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Data/00766
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited February 2018
    I put it in a different folder but it runs fine. I have it in C:\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    As long as you install the mod in the correct data subfolder.
    Contemplative_HamsterCharlestonianTemplarJuliusBorisov
  • Is that it? Install it in the data subfolder? I was putting it in the main folder.

Let me try that. THANKS.
    ThacoBell
  • Yes, in the 00766 folder.
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited February 2018
    The "main game folder / Infinity game engine folder" meant be the readme is the folder of your EE-game where the file chitin.key is in.
    Contemplative_HamsterCharlestonianTemplarThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • Thanks for your help TB, C_H and Jastey. I got it.

Now, just figuring out which mods are compatible. Sadly, two of my favorites aren't, i.e. Hard Times and Level 1 NPCs. :neutral:

CT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm pretty sure there is a version of L1NPCs somewhere that is EE-compatible. But if you have trouble with it, this might suffice for you...

Thanks doc. Where should I install it? I've only completed NPC Proj, NPC Proj Music & NPC Gavin so far. Hopefully I haven't gone too far.

CT
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    @CharlestonianTemplar

Install it exactly where you installed the other mods. Extract the SETUP and the folder called NPC_ee into the main game folder. Ignore the files called .gitignore and the Readme (though you'll want to read it, of course). Then run the SETUP.

As to WHEN to install it, install it as one as the very last mods, after anything that changes non-player characters, items, spells, or anything really.

In your other thread, I gave you an install order for the particular mods I like use, based on a close reading of the READmes. I am but a humble gamer and not a modder, but some of the major worthies of the modding community confirmed that list for me.

In the READMEs to Subtledoctor's many mods, he gives the following generalized installation order. Treat it as Holy Scripture, and you will have no problems.

Subtledoctor:
    "My personal install order looks something like this:

[quest mods]
    [NPC mods]
    [item mods including Item Revisions]
    [spell mods including Spell Revisions]
    [small kit mods]
    Divine Remix
    Song & Silence
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Monastic Orders of Faerun
    Tome & Blood
    Faiths & Powers
    Might and Guile
    [tweak mods including Tweaks Anthology]
    Scales of Balance
    SCS
    [end-of-order mods like LevelOneNPCs, NPC_EE, Randomiser, etc.]"

CharlestonianTemplarThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    edited February 2018
    Hey C_H, That's excellent feedback - above & beyond. Thanks.

Docs order is perfect & it mirrors Leonardo Watson's BGT order - so it doesn't make me nervous. :smiley:

Thanks again, CT
    Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on
  • On a roll now folks. Got NPC Proj, Isra & Gavin NPCs, and BG UB... ran a short game to make sure everything installed correctly.

By the way, Isra and Gavin are pretty cool NPCs. Don't recall if I ever used them.

Back to more installations.

Thanks to ThacoBell, Jastey, Contemplative_Hamster for your assistance. CT
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    Have fun! If you encounter problems with Gavin, it's my fault, so let me know. :)
    You're welcome!
    edited February 2018
    jastey said:

Have fun! If you encounter problems with Gavin, it's my fault, so let me know. :)

I don't think it was Gavin. Actually I like him as an NPC. Perfect for a Paladin's priest.

BUT, I do have a problem now. After playing a short game to check out Isra and Gavin, I tried to add the Crusader kit. It installed, I thought, fine. But the Crusader kit never showed when I tried to create a character with that class.

So, I unistalled and tried to move forward.

However, when I try to create a new PC now, I can't get past the skills screen.

Instead of weapons and weapon types, I have basic game instructions, e.g. for the first one instead of a weapon, I can put two pips on, "Talk to priests as you would an innkeeper..." These are the instructions when you go through Candlekeep as a beginner. The others are the same, i.e., To open doors...", etc.

Any idea how to get me back to basics again? I've already uninstalled everything I installed so I was hoping for vanilla EE but the skills screen is still the same.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I'm not particularly knowledgeable about mods CKT, but in general I would say that changing an existing installation is a bad idea. In theory when you change something Weidu will uninstall all mods after that in your installation, then reinstall them after your change. That's a complex process though and often doesn't work if the changed mods are not near the end of the installation.

I know it's a bit of a pain, but I would recommend starting again from scratch, i.e. reinstalling BGEE and then adding your desired mods.
    CharlestonianTemplarContemplative_HamsterThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Also note that you can have various copies of your game without any DRM issues. When you already have a game in progress, but you want to mod it further, it's best to copy the entire game folder, and mod the copy further, so that you could always go back to the original game and continue your run.
    Contemplative_HamsterJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • Thels said:

Also note that you can have various copies of your game without any DRM issues. When you already have a game in progress, but you want to mod it further, it's best to copy the entire game folder, and mod the copy further, so that you could always go back to the original game and continue your run.

Better yet, cooy the game fokder before you mod it, and keep the clean install on a hard drive somewhere.
    Yeah doc, that's what I should'a done. I kept thinking about doing it and never did. I sent a note to them to see if I'm gonna have to buy a new copy or if they can help me unscrew this. CT
    @CharlestonianTemplar Luckily it is really simple to clean your install. On the Beamdog client, click the little gear graphic next to "options". Click verify game and the client will clear your mods (have them backed up in a different folder) and will re-download like 16mb of files to bring you back to a clean install. Simply re-install your mods and you are good to go.
    Contemplative_HamsterCharlestonianTemplar
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@CharlestonianTemplar Luckily it is really simple to clean your install. On the Beamdog client, click the little gear graphic next to "options". Click verify game and the client will clear your mods (have them backed up in a different folder) and will re-download like 16mb of files to bring you back to a clean install. Simply re-install your mods and you are good to go.

But before you reinstall mods, copy the game folder and call it, say, "00866 Clean Copy" , to save the hassle of downloading repeatedly if your modding goes awry.

In fact, I've got 6 copies of the game nestled snugly side by side. One clean copy, 5 copies of my install (given above in a previous post)
    in various stages of completion, to save me the hassle of starting the installation process over from scratch if the 11th mod, say, messed something up - which is something that happens. I rename each folder a shorthand version of the mods installed in it, for quick reference.
    ThacoBellCharlestonianTemplarJuliusBorisov
  • Omgosh guys! This is excellent news. I'd started a game of SoA... but I really want to play BG/TotSC. Thanks! Lifesavers...almost.
  • It worked. I made copies of both my BG/TotSC and BGII/SoA/ToB folders. Kept 'em in the same place, just named, 'BGcopy' and 'BGIICopy'.
    ThacoBellContemplative_HamsterGrond0JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2018
    @Contemplative_Hamster Thanks for your order of install above.

@Jastey, thanks for your list of EE compatible mods.

I am looking at both closely.

I notice in your list C_H, you label 'end of order' mode like LevelOneNPCs...' My question is, is there an EE compatible LeveloneNPCs? I've looked and don't see one. This is my favorite mod (allows me to make the NPCs more like old D&D) and if it works I am definitely going to use it.

Both of you, I flat out don't understand what is happening with Deities of Faerûn and Faith's and Pantheons. I think I like the idea, as an old 80s D&D player, but there are so many moving parts, I can't get my head around it. I see you use Divine Remix C_H, which I used in my non-EE BG/TotSC and SoA/ToB.

Any comments on the Rough World and Rashemi Berserker mods?

Btw, @jastey, looking forward to 're-installing Gavin (as well as Isra which worked fine). That's a good mod.

Sorry for this post. Just getting my bearings straight before I start installing stuff again.

edited March 2018
    The only mod related to level 1 NPCs for BG:EE I found is this one:
    Lower level NPCs
    And all praise for Gavin goes to berelinde, I'm only the maintainer. :smile:
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @CharlestonianTemplar from what I understand there is a working version of Level One NPC's mod for EE. You can find it somwhere in this topic: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24940&page=7#entry258433
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CharlestonianTemplarJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2018

Cahir said:

there is a working version of Level One NPC's mod for EE. You can find it somwhere in this topic: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24940&page=7#entry258433

Not sure what the state of that is, but @CharlestonianTemplar since L1NPCs was non-functional for so long I made a spiritual successor:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43305/mod-npc-ee-non-player-characters-enhanced-for-everyone/p1

You can't make as many alterations, but you can make select class changes, and then in-gsme, you can re-set every NPC's kit and proficiencies. The options are narrower, but doing it in-game means you can try different things each time without needing to reinstall anything.
    Thank you.

So you edit the NPC when they join you?

Also doc, et al, can you tell me which mod the 'rest anywhere' option is (like I said, been a couple of years)? I always use that, e.g. if I want to rest in the shed near Nashkel Mines, rather than sleeping out in the rain.

CT
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2018

Also doc, et al, can you tell me which mod the 'rest anywhere' option is (like I said, been a couple of years)? I always use that, e.g. if I want to rest in the shed near Nashkel Mines, rather than sleeping out in the rain.

That component is probably in a number of mods, but you can find it here.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2018

So you edit the NPC when they join you?

NPC classes must be chosen during install, and are pretty restrictive.

NPC kits can be changed the moment you recruit them, and you should be able to pick any kit possible for that class, including kits added by mods (assuming those mods are installed before NPC_EE).

Tweaks Anthology has an option to let you rest anywhere, as well as preventing guards from interrupting you, or monsters from spawning (in different components, so you can pick and choose):

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66940/version-4-of-tweaks-anthology-now-available/p1