Skip to content

I need an item critique.

I am planning to add the following item to a body in AR2401, Elven Temple Ruins.

Faeryvian +4

This powerful moonblade was created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor who forged such moonblades to be used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet. While initially enchanted using elven High Magic, the moonstone in the hilt allows each successive wielder to contribute a power to the sword, represented by a rune on the blade. A moonblade chooses its owner though an elven Bladerite ritual, and this blade will undoubtedly only allow an elf of good alignment to wield it. It is believed that this sword last belonged to the elven adventuress Laerune Moonwhisper who was killed during the final battle with Grintharke, the balor ruler of Hellgate Keep, where the blade is believed to have been lost.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
– Regenerate 1 Hit Point per round
– Immunity to all forms of death magic

Combat abilities:
– 1 extra attack per round
– Each hit drains the target's Magic Resistance by 5% and bestows it on the wielder for 2 turns

Charge abilities:
– Summon the moon dog Cerebus once per day
Special: As per Moon Dog Figurine
Range: 20 ft.
Duration: 1 hour

THAC0: +4, +6 vs. evil creatures
Damage: 1d8+4, +6 vs. evil creatures, double damage vs. fiends
Damage type: Slashing
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Long Sword
Type: One-handed
Requires:
6 Strength

Weight: 2

I am not a powergamer modder but would like to have a little bite for a good aligned elven character but still remain balanced.

Thoughts on power level / location?

Should I drop the +4/+6 to +3/+5, etc.?

Comments

• John_DoeJohn_Doe Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018
    Great, I appreciate the comment. If knock it down in power as you suggested, is there a better place to put it also? Err I mean even with the tweaks, is there a better place in ToB?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I appreciate the comments, exactly what I am looking for.

As for the moon dog, I simply thought it might be an appropriate summons from a moonblade lorewise. Do you have another summon creature suggestion?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited February 2018
    It's super super powerful. I would totally remove the extra attack per round. This+ the passives (immunities and regeneration) make it a far far better offhand than even scarlet ninja-to which is already used by pretty much anyone who can and needs APR.

Once that extra APR is removed, well, you have a slightly more powerful upgraded Hindo's Doom (which is a endgame ToB weapon, but a pretty weak one), so you're pretty fine, but I would definitely lower the duration of the MR reduction to 5 rounds as it was suggested already, or maybe allow a save (vs spells at -2 I would say)

Is the +6 against evil on top of the +4? If yes lower that to +2-3, otherwise it's fine.

You'll have an OK power level, some lategame SoA weapons are more powerful (Carsomyr, Flail of Ages, Celestial Fury,...) most will be about that powerful or slightly less.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Besides the other suggestions, I'd also think about capping the amount of magic resistance you can leech off of an opponent.

@Artemius_I You are unfamiliar with the Axe of Unyielding?
    edited February 2018
    Is this any better in AR5202? Forest of Mir - The Temple (ToB)

Equipped abilities:
    – Regenerate 1 Hit Point per round
    – Immunity to all forms of death magic

Combat abilities:
    – Each hit drains the target's Magic Resistance by 5% and bestows it on the wielder for 5 rounds

Charge abilities:
    – Improved Haste once per day
    Duration: 20 seconds
    Area of Effect: The user

THAC0: +3, +5 vs. evil creatures
    Damage: 1d8+3, +5 vs. evil creatures, double damage vs. fiends
    Post edited by John_Doe on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This is a little more normal for ToB. It's still better than most ToB items, but not by quite as much.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Honestly, once you get into ToB I think balance is less of an issue for melee weapons. That updated one seems fine in the Forest of Mir given that it only apparently works with good-aligned elves.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    How about having it summon a blink dog instead? That would be pretty cool and unique! Blink dogs are good aligned so it would be a perfect fit that way too. The blink dog would be more useful in BG2 so you might want to put it in BG2 but make it upgradeable in ToB (maybe by Cespenar). Just a thought...
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I think the second version seems pretty reasonable. I really like the idea of something that can lower magic resistance.

My only question is what happens when you hit an enemy with no magic resistance? If it still adds 5 MR to the wielder then that seems a bit abusable.