Skip to content

Star Wars games

JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
A thread about the multitude of Star Wars games out there (both video games, tabletops and others)! Which ones do you like? Which ones deserve to join Alderaan as dust floating in the endless emptiness of space?

My earliest memories of Star Wars games comes from Rebel Assault and Dark Forces in the early 90s. As well as Return of the Jedi on Game boy. Though Jedi Outcast was the first to really impress me, what with the whole lightsaber mechanics in that game.

And then there's Knights of the old republic of course...
Dev6

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    The earliest Star Wars video games I played were the original trilogy of games on the SNES. Aside from those, Starfighter and the original two Battlefront games are the only ones I've played all the way through. I've given Kotor, Tie Fighter, The Force Unleashed, and Galactic Battlegrounds a shot, but for various reasons, I never could get into them. They seemed like decent games though.

I've got a whole collection of Star Wars games on Steam... Maybe I should go and try and finish some of them.

The only major non video game that comes to mind is the Star Wars trading card game. That was pretty dope but I never really learned to play. I just collected them. It would be great to see another Star Wars card game, digital or otherwise, become popular once more.
    Dev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I remember playing Rogue Squadron 3D on the PC when I was younger and I had fun with it. Not sure how it holds up nowadays.
    Yoda Stories on the Gameboy was surprisingly fun for such a simple game. I played that one when I was a kid, I recently tried the PC version but it just didn't hit that same sweet spot... Nostalgia goggles perhaps.
    I also played Pit Droids when I was a kid, that was fun as hell.
    Empire at War, along with its sequel, is an amazing RTS. I cannot overstate this, it is the SW RTS. Great and fun gameplay, good campaigns. Please try it if you haven't. Be aware though that the ground gameplay is a bit lackluster, but the space part more than makes up for it.
    Galactic Battlegrounds is pretty much Age of Empires with Star Wars skins over it. It's decent enough, but Empire at War blows it away completely.
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is a fun little game. Decent story and gameplay. I only played it once and probably won't ever touch it again, but I don't regret it.
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast never finished this one, got bored. I'm not a fan of FPS so that's not necessarily the games fault.

I currently play Galaxy of Heroes on Android. I'm usually not a fan of mobile games but this one managed to hold my attention. It's a nice game.

Aaaaaand that brings us to...
    JoenSo said:

And then there's Knights of the old republic of course...

...the best Star Wars games ever made, and I'd say they're right up there on the list of my favourite games of all time.
    But I'll leave my opinion on KOTOR 1 and 2 for later. :)
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    edited March 2018
    The earliest Star Wars games I played were on CPC. The first one was full vectorial 3D.

DrHappyAngrySkatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The SNES ones were pretty good. Force Unleashed was a lot of fun. KOTOR 2 is the best, hands down.
    Matthieu
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    As a teenager, I really liked Star Wars Episode I: Racer :)
    KilivitzMERLANCE
    ThacoBell said:

The SNES ones were pretty good. Force Unleashed was a lot of fun. KOTOR 2 is the best, hands down.

KOTOR 2 is underrated, but you need to patch it with modules to add cut content.
    ThacoBell
    @Matthieu Not just cut content, the game was pushed out unfinished. Obsidian wasn't even allowed to patch it. Out of the box, the game is missing its final 3rd of the story.
    Matthieu
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The first Star Wars videogame I played was the Star Wars arcade game. IIRC it used vector graphics.

The first Star Wars computer games I played were X-Wing and TIE Fighter.
    ThacoBell
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    A few months back I played through TIE Fighter again, and it remains ridiculously fun. KOTOR, KOTOR II, and Jedi Knight are also a lot of fun, and I spent many a quarter on the old Star Wars arcade game.

I think I picked up most or all of the LucasArts SW games through various GOG sales, but the ones above are the ones I tend to replay.
    ThacoBell
    You know, I haven't really played a lot of SW games. I feel like i have failed in some way.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

What's the name of the game, pretty sure it was SNES where,

First you had to race across the desert to a sandpeople's vehicle
    Then have to work your way up, level by level.

You had "power ups" you could collect and get a special light sabre attack.

Loved that game, so hard.

And KOTOR of course.
    ThacoBell
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Ok well, first off, everyone knows both KOTOR games are excellent (once the second one gets the Restored Content Mod). But beyond that, you (as has been mentioned) look to the movie trilogy on SNES. These 3 games are yet another notch in it's belt as the best system of all time. All of them are superb, and The Empire Strikes Back is frequently cited as one of the system's toughest challenges (which I have never agreed with, since I know for a fact that I beat it as a kid, and I wasn't that good).

The dark horse for me is Episode 1 Pod Racer on N64. The N64 was a fantastic console for racing regardless, but I swear to god this game is fantastic. The tracks, planets and characters are all diverse and well-balanced.
    ThacoBell
    Pod Racer is pretty well loved, but having never owned and N64, it passed me by.
    OH anyone play Jedi Power Battles on the PS1? That was a lot of fun with a friend.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    First Star Wars video game I played was Empire Strikes Back

On the Atari!

I had so much fun with Jedi Knight 2. If you watched 2 people duel, who were really good and knew what they were doing, it did look a lot like the movies. Jedi Academy was fun too, but the dual wielding and double bladed sabers kind of unbalanced things and made the multiplayer less fun for me.

The KOTOR games were loads of fun too. Atton Rand is still one of my favorite star wars characters ever. They set you up to expect he's the Han Solo scoundrel character of the game, but his background is way darker.
    JoenSoSkatan
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

I had so much fun with Jedi Knight 2. If you watched 2 people duel, who were really good and knew what they were doing, it did look a lot like the movies. Jedi Academy was fun too, but the dual wielding and double bladed sabers kind of unbalanced things and made the multiplayer less fun for me.

Yes, that's what I loved with Jedi Knight 2. The system with different lightsaber styles that you could quickly change between made it all so much more interesting. As I remember it, lightsabers also functioned slightly different in multiplayer in Jedi Academy, which is why I almost always played single player instead. Though I don't remember the difference...

The Force Unleashed was great because of the way you could use the force with your environment, which is something I had always missed in Star Wars games before. That system could use a lot of polishing. but it was awesome to be able to rip stuff off walls and throw at your enemies.
    JoenSo said:

Yes, that's what I loved with Jedi Knight 2. The system with different lightsaber styles that you could quickly change between made it all so much more interesting. As I remember it, lightsabers also functioned slightly different in multiplayer in Jedi Academy, which is why I almost always played single player instead. Though I don't remember the difference...

The Force Unleashed was great because of the way you could use the force with your environment, which is something I had always missed in Star Wars games before. That system could use a lot of polishing. but it was awesome to be able to rip stuff off walls and throw at your enemies.
    I don't recall the saber use being that different in multiplayer vs singleplayer, granted the bosses had way more health and shields and practically everything else went down with one hit from the saber. Multiplayer was fun, since a Jedi with a rocket launcher is hilarious.

As much I hated how they ruined the saber dueling in Academy, I did have a lot of fun with 2 of the multiplayer modes. Siege mode was a lot of fun, and let me be a storm trooper that could slaughter all the Jedi. There was another mode that had 2 weaker jedi battling one more powerful jedi for some interesting 3 person MP.

Did the PC port of Force Unleashed ever get fixed? I don't use WASD, so I remapped all the keys, but the game was still telling me to press the old keys, which since I had remapped them, wouldn't do what it was telling me to do. So I just said nope, and never played it again.
    Well, might just be that I found the experience itself to be too different between multiplayer and single player. I almost always prefer single player games.

I only played Force unleashed on Xbox and PS2. The PS2 port was interesting in that it was severely limited compared to other versions but tried to compensate by adding several new levels.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2018
    The first Star Wars video game I played was for my Apple ][+. The game play is pretty basic by today's standards. You try to maneuver your X-wing to get the TIE fighter in the target zone, while it moves randomly around. The TIE fighters don't shoot back, no Death Star, etc.. But in 1980 it was freakin' awesome!

It also required rebooting the machine because it was programmed in Apple's Integer Basic instead of the Applesoft (Microsoft) BASIC that shipped in the Apple ][+ ROMs.

I also played the original West End Games Star Wars RPG in high school. That was a lot of fun.

http://www.starwarstimeline.net/Westendgames.htm
    DrHappyAngryMatthieuMantis37
    I played the West End Games RPG too, still have all my sourcebooks. I also played Decipher's CCG and I also kept my cards. Back in the days Star Wars was pretty much the only reliable SF RPG.

What's the name of the game, pretty sure it was SNES where,

First you had to race across the desert to a sandpeople's vehicle
    Then have to work your way up, level by level.

You had "power ups" you could collect and get a special light sabre attack.

Loved that game, so hard.

And KOTOR of course.

That's Super Star Wars for the SNES. Apparently you can get it on PS4 these days. I think the Return of the Jedi game I played on the game boy was a simplified version of the sequel to that game.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Best FPS/Saber combat is Jedi Academy by miles. The game is almost perfect in every aspect and I've replayed the SP campaign prolly 5 times at least (which is HUGE for me who normally never replay games, 'cept BG ofc ;)). Though I can understand why some may argue that the saber combat was ruined from the previous game, I don't agree. MP was already pretty broken already from the start and then it was re-broken again with patches (firstly, everyone and their mother did a ridiculous jump-attack with the Heavy stance for one-hit kills, and later on after patches, Light stance advocated just pressing the same button the quickest.) I may remember some of this weirdly since it's like 10-15 years ago tho. But playing through Academy and using the darkside powers have never been so fun! You could clear out entire rooms of stormtroopers with your lightning attacks or on maps with high ledges you could use your force grip enemies (even weaker sith) then slowly walk up to the ledge with them dangling there, then dropping them to their death, hah! It was hilarious! (hey, they were all mean and deserved it, so no judgement, mm'kay? ;) Ahem, maybe Kyle Katarn didn't, but who could pass on the opportunity to face him in battle? :D )

Best flightsim is the old Tie Fighter. Back then I didn't have a comp, but played it on my brothers and on friends PCs. I loved it, all of it. The atmosphere was amazing, taking the missions also from the "hooded man" but still beinng part of a pretty regular military force was really cool. The battles was intense and the fleet of vessels you could fly was cool. I still remember when you finally got the fly the prototype Tie Defender with its massive shields, engine and storage for torpedos! The predecessor and successor games were not as good IMHO, but being the "bad guy" might have influenced my judgement tho. As you can see, there's a "red line" for me when playing SW games, I'm always Empire/Sith, hehe.. which of course brings me to..

Best RPG is KOTOR. I know most think KOTOR2 is better, but I don't. For me, KOTOR 2 is extravaganza galore, exactly what I don't like with may RPGs, where the story takes on gigantic proportions. Comparing the antagonists on KOTOR1 to 2, the sith in 1 feels much, much more "real" than the rather puerile counter-parts in KOTOR2. I mean, a sith that can devour entire planets? Who the hell came up with that idea, sigh.. KOTOR one had cool NPCs (though evil wookie > good wookie!), story and was more balanced overall. KOTOR 2 is better on many accounts when it comes to gameplay and mechanics (graphics etc), but for me it never came close with regards to "the feels" in the first game. Kotor 1 is one of the top 5 best RPG experiences in my life ever, up there with BG1 and 2, Fallout 2 etc.

Other games that was good?
    Don't remember what it was called, or even the platform I played it on (NES64 perhaps?) but I remember a game where you flew the speeders and defended the base, just as in Empire Strikes back, and you few around the AT-AT walkers, shooting the cable and spinning their legs. I remember me and a friend used to play that mission several times over.
    Yeah, and the music from Pit droids was amazing. Just saying. Never really played the game, but listened to the music a lot, hehe..

I wish for a new Jedi Academy but modern and remaining fairly mature (compared to the more "teeny" Force Unleashed which felt more consolified). That would be a dread come true! Modern graphics and intense saber combat *drools*.

Dev6JoenSo
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Skatan said:

I mean, a sith that can devour entire planets? Who the hell came up with that idea, sigh..

I'll have you know Darth Nihilus is the greatest thing to have ever existed in Star Wars and anyone who disagrees is wrong.
    :tongue:
    He's my favourite. It's a shame the actual boss fight was way easier than expected. I wish they would've had time and budget to flesh it out more.
    The Sith in 2 are much more interesting for me. Nihilus is a ghost that's literally being consumed by his own power. He doesn't devour planets because he's evil, he devours planets because he has to. And if he hadn't been stopped he would've destroyed everything, the jedi, the sith, everything. The only reason why you defeat him is because you're a wound in the force, so his powers don't actually work on you. If you happened to be a normal jedi you would be dead in seconds.
    Sion is a walking corpse. He cannot die, unless he decides he wants to die. That's the only way you can actually defeat him, by making him realise he has to let go.
    And Traya? Well Traya is a better villain than the ones we got in the actual movies. She deconstructs everything you think you know about the force and makes you realise that both the jedi and sith are flawed. She's apparently the only character in the whole franchise that's actually aware of this.

Compare that to the Sith from KOTOR1. Malak is a copy-pasted Vader. Revan was good, then bad, then good again. *yawn*.

Now, that's not to say KOTOR1 is bad, it's not, I love that game. I just think 2 is better in pretty much every way.
    1 does have the best plot twist I've ever seen in my life though. You know the one I'm talking about.
    ThacoBellBelleSorciere
    "You seek to weaken my resolve, you cannot."

Malaks resolve has been weakened, his stats have lowered.

I LOVE taht KotOR2 lets you have idealogical battles with the major oppoents.
    Dev6
    Skatan said:

I wish for a new Jedi Academy but modern and remaining fairly mature (compared to the more "teeny" Force Unleashed which felt more consolified). That would be a dread come true! Modern graphics and intense saber combat *drools*.

You know EA would just put micro-transactions into it, if they did it today. Give us money for a low percentage chance just to get a decent saber or unlock force powers. We can only hope that after the micro-transaction fiasco with Battlefront, that Disney might not renew their exclusivity agreement with EA.
    ThacoBellSkatan
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    The X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, and Jedi Knight 2, are the only ones I liked.
    edited March 2018

Skatan said:

You know EA would just put micro-transactions into it, if they did it today. Give us money for a low percentage chance just to get a decent saber or unlock force powers. We can only hope that after the micro-transaction fiasco with Battlefront, that Disney might not renew their exclusivity agreement with EA.
    You are right. I have zero faith in EA though and haven't had that in a long time. But also, if a new game of its type would ever be released, it would no doubt be a consol version with a younger target audience. I mean, the saber fights in jedi2 and sometimes in academy could be many long minutes! I still recall with very warm feelings the first jedi 2 saber fights I had in MP where the fights always begun with the two combatants greeting eachother with a old-school saber move, then slowly circling eachother for a while before unleashing hell. it was not uncommon that ppl suddenly turned off their saber mid-combat in respect of their opponent if the other guy fell down a ledge, hole or whatever! And all that time, everyone else in the 1vs1's was spectating, waiting for their turn to face whoever won the ongoing fight.
    That was the most mature MP environment I have ever played in and I get goose bumps now just thinking about it. Now that I think about it, I believe the MP community was actually better in Jedi Outcast than Academy.. but my memory, as said above, is a bit fuzzy after 15 years.

Couldn't find many good videos, but this one was kinda cool

ThacoBell
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    @Skatan yes! And pretty soon we had dedicated duelling servers, which enforced one-on-one duelling only, and you could use the "challenge" button to fight with someone else, and do a salute or bow to start... of course, gaming being what it is, people found ways to exploit certain moves like the back-attack and the infamous "death from above" (which I didn't think was actually that bad as it was fairly easy to avoid and left the person wide open), but it was probably the best multiplayer representation of lightsabre combat I've ever seen (Mount and Blade is fun, and all, but wouldn't work for lightsabre wielding jedi).

The sabre-only servers seemed to attract gamers who were mature and respectful, and in it for the sake of having fun duels, and it was a nice environment to play in... I actually miss it now, lol! Jedi Academy never did anything for me, for some reason... tbh I think the inclusion of dual-wielding, and the double-sided lightglaive, took away some of the technical aspects of the sabre duels.
    Skatan
    YES! I remember that. Watching people duel and waiting for a turn. It was really polite, and kinda funny. I always used to play as the Ugnaught model since the handle I used back then was The Walrus.
    Skatan
    Saber's duels look as ridiculous in the games than in the movies, so I guess they made it right.
    Squire said:

@Skatan yes! And pretty soon we had dedicated duelling servers, which enforced one-on-one duelling only, and you could use the "challenge" button to fight with someone else, and do a salute or bow to start... of course, gaming being what it is, people found ways to exploit certain moves like the back-attack and the infamous "death from above" (which I didn't think was actually that bad as it was fairly easy to avoid and left the person wide open), but it was probably the best multiplayer representation of lightsabre combat I've ever seen (Mount and Blade is fun, and all, but wouldn't work for lightsabre wielding jedi).

The sabre-only servers seemed to attract gamers who were mature and respectful, and in it for the sake of having fun duels, and it was a nice environment to play in... I actually miss it now, lol! Jedi Academy never did anything for me, for some reason... tbh I think the inclusion of dual-wielding, and the double-sided lightglaive, took away some of the technical aspects of the sabre duels.

@squire Haha, yeah the back-attack! I had forgot about that one :D That was a really, really weird but funny attack. I also remember the first time I fought a died to a death from above. It was in the carbon freezer map, a very small, confined 1 vs 1 saber duel arena and my opponent just made the death from above right from the start. I planned to parry/take the hit and counter but just insta-died since IIRC you couldn't parry it at all. Back then I tried to fight with the mid/yellow stance but all the best killing moves were in the red/heavy stance so I had to learn them as well.

Oh man.. I have no idea where my old hard-copies are, I've moved like 5-6 times since 2003, but now I'm getting an urge to replay both Outcast and Academy!