Skip to content

Why are boars so rare in RPG?

2»

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2018

If you want boars, for the love of god, just make an Orc character in World of Warcraft, and do the first quest. All the boars you could ever want.

OR....you could play Bloodborne, and eventually you'll end up in the sewers of the first level, staring down a long aqueduct, wondering what that shape is in the distance. And after you find out, you'll never want to see another boar in a video game again.

Also, Titan Quest has boars in the first area.

Dark Souls has steel-plated boars.
    Which, for some reason, are uniquely susceptible to fire and attacks from the rear. I actually forget about these guys every time I start a new game.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Icewind Dale 2 also has a very small number of Arctic Boars. A druid can also shapeshift into an Arctic Boar.
    ThacoBellMathsorcererJuliusBorisov
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    In Poland you can commonly see them casually walking through the beaches. They are tons of them.

And yeah, that boar from Dark Souls was terrifying, when you tried frontal assault. On slighty offtopic matter: do you think that dogs consider bears to be some kind of demigods or superheroes? Are bears basically dog ogres?
    JoenSo
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Artona said:

In Poland you can commonly see them casually walking through the beaches. They are tons of them.

And yeah, that boar from Dark Souls was terrifying, when you tried frontal assault. On slighty offtopic matter: do you think that dogs consider bears to be some kind of demigods or superheroes? Are bears basically dog ogres?

I would have always thought wolves were dog ogres, though I suppose they aren't big enough.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I think wolves are dog orcs. Hyenas or foxes could be dog goblins, methinks.
    sarevok57Balrog99
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    The Berliners especially do not develop enough games to counter the "cute minipig" thing of the Northern America.

There is but one hunt fancier that I know and care about - and hunting boars would be the only hunt I would be slightly bothered about, as being potentially dangerous to him and not only to the pray.

Balrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Artona said:

Dogres?
    ArtonaJoenSoContemplative_Hamster
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    We discussed that yesterday during the boar meal. Hunters of Luz-Saint-Sauveur caught 113 boars during this hunting season.

That's hell a lot of meat.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Too many boars -> not enough wolves.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Fardragon said:

Too many boars -> not enough wolves.

Or maybe the wolves keep kosher.

MERLANCE
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Artona said:

I think wolves are dog orcs. Hyenas or foxes could be dog goblins, methinks.

Wouldn't hyenas be dog gnolls? No wait... This suddenly got complicated.
    ArtonaThacoBell
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    186 boars taken down in another village.

That's so much good meat.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wolves are dire dogs.
    semiticgoddessDev6
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

If you want boars, for the love of god, just make an Orc character in World of Warcraft, and do the first quest. All the boars you could ever want.

OR....you could play Bloodborne, and eventually you'll end up in the sewers of the first level, staring down a long aqueduct, wondering what that shape is in the distance. And after you find out, you'll never want to see another boar in a video game again.

Also, Titan Quest has boars in the first area.

Dark Souls has steel-plated boars.
    Which, for some reason, are uniquely susceptible to fire and attacks from the rear. I actually forget about these guys every time I start a new game.
    They're also vulnerable to magic.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2018
    The boars are a pretty decent second tier wizard unit in Heroes of Might and Magic Two. And a good second tier wizard/sorcerer summons in Neverwinter Nights.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    ThacoBell said:

Wolves are dire dogs.

So Dire Wolves are actually Dire² Dogs?
    ArtonaThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    kingdom come deliverance has boars and no wolves and bears. however boars are never aggressive except in a cutscene
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270

this may seem weird, but being a baby orc killing level 1 boars and collecting cactus apples are some of my most distinct and vivid memories of Vanilla WoW. i feel like it took me days of playtime per character to get out of that zone.
    BelgarathMTH
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Boars are really not all that rare in RPG's. I've seen plenty of cooked, grilled and smoked ones.