Skip to content

Problem with EEKeeper and BG2ee.

LegendLegend Member Posts: 36
Hi there! Firstly, I hope this is the right place to post this - if not, somebody please go ahead and move it, or delete it entirely if this isn't the right place!

Alright, so I hadn't actually used EEKeeper with BG2ee before this evening, I'd only ever used it for BG1ee, where it worked absolutely perfectly, no problems whatsoever.

However, this evening, I wanted to mess around with it for BG2ee, so I pointed it to the appropriate directories, and loaded a save, so far so good, but now whenvever I add any item to any of my character's inventories, the program crashes upon trying to save it.

This has never happened to me before, or anything similar, I've been using the gate/shadow/EE-keepers for years without any issues, so I'm at a complete loss as to why it's happening.

Any help with fixing these crashes would be much appreciated!

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited November 2017
    Hi @Legend, could you list which version of EEKeeper and BG2EE you are using?

Thanks
    Gus

Edit: Working on the assumption that you have the latest version of each, no mods, and on a Windows platform, could you also start a new game and load it into EEkeeper to see if it still crashes?
    Post edited by Gusinda on
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Legend said:

Hi there! Firstly, I hope this is the right place to post this - if not, somebody please go ahead and move it, or delete it entirely if this isn't the right place!

Alright, so I hadn't actually used EEKeeper with BG2ee before this evening, I'd only ever used it for BG1ee, where it worked absolutely perfectly, no problems whatsoever.

However, this evening, I wanted to mess around with it for BG2ee, so I pointed it to the appropriate directories, and loaded a save, so far so good, but now whenvever I add any item to any of my character's inventories, the program crashes upon trying to save it.

This has never happened to me before, or anything similar, I've been using the gate/shadow/EE-keepers for years without any issues, so I'm at a complete loss as to why it's happening.

I had the same problem when using the latest version of EE Keeper, i reverted to the version before that and it works absolutely fine.
  • LegendLegend Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2017
    Gusinda said:

Hi @Legend, could you list which version of EEKeeper and BG2EE you are using?

Thanks
    Gus

Edit: Working on the assumption that you have the latest version of each, no mods, and on a Windows platform, could you also start a new game and load it into EEkeeper to see if it still crashes?

Hi Gus!

Yes I am on Windows 10, with a fresh install of both the BG games, on Steam.

I believe I'm using the newest version of EEKeeper, version 1.0.4.0

I am using the newest version of BG2ee, I am 100% sure of that, because I re-downloaded it again last night (I did a fresh install). I believe the newest version of BG2ee is 0.1.0.0.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by what you said last. When I was attempting to add items, that was on a new game on BG2ee. I have no BG2ee saves at the moment, so everything will be tried out on a new game.
    Just to be clear -

- EEKeeper loads the saves
    - then I can go to the inventory tab
    - add *any* item
    - click save, and then EEKeeper crashes just before it saves.

edit: just to make sure, I've literally just repeated everything this minute - made a new game, tried to add an item on EEKeeper etc. and exactly the same thing is happening.

--

Hey Borek! Hmm, that's interesting! I'd prefer not to use an earlier version if this is possible to fix, but that is definitely something to remember for the future incase this isn't fixable.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Legend The newest BG2EE is version 2.3.67.3

Does EEkeeper have permission to alter save files. I remember at one point my virus protection autoflagged EEKeeper as malware and I had to completely uninstall my malware protection to get it to work again. Did Windows 10 update for you recently? It may have reset security permissions.
    ThacoBell said:

@Legend The newest BG2EE is version 2.3.67.3

Does EEkeeper have permission to alter save files. I remember at one point my virus protection autoflagged EEKeeper as malware and I had to completely uninstall my malware protection to get it to work again. Did Windows 10 update for you recently? It may have reset security permissions.

to be honest, I don't believe my Windows has updated recently.. but it MAY have and I've just forgotten about it. That being said, it works completely fine for BG1, so why would malware only be effecting it for BG2? My malware checker is very light/uninvasive anyway, so I don't reeeckon it would be the case. But hmm, will be definitely worth a try if all else fails!

A number of others are experiencing the same difficulty, including myself. It is discussed in the latter part of this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-4

I tried some of the suggested fixes, but none of it worked. A fix to the latest version of EE Keeper will likely be required. Until then, rolling back to the previous version works just fine, as @Borek suggests.

wow, that is a long thread! I'll have a quick look, but I suppose going back to a previous version is hardly a problem.

Thank you for letting me know though!
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    I have a problem getting EEKeeper to work. Tried installing in the correct directory in Win10 but won't read any savegame files.... First time using EEkeeper maybe I am doing something wrong. Anyway I wanted to make my level 1 cleric/ranger multi into cleric of Lathander/ranger. Are there alternatives to doing it not using EE?
    Hi @biffyclanger, if you haven't done so, you will need to tell EEKeeper where your game files and saved games are. To do this, open EEKeeper and select 'Settings' then 'Installation Directory...'. This will bring up the folder configuration settings. Once they are setup and applied, you should be able to open your saved games.

For the correct folder, EEKeeper can live in its own folder and be configured for many variants of BG EE Series and IWDEE (and PSTEE).

As far as other tools go, you could use NearInfinity, but you are more likely to find EEKeeper more intuitive.

There is also a mod (NPC_EE) that will allow you to select kits inside the game but as a Ranger/Cleric you would only be able to choose a Ranger kit.

If you have any problems, just ask...
    Gus
    @Gusinda wow thanks for the quick reply. I will give it a go and report back :).
    Yes it works now! I have an additional question regarding editing with EE. I have changed the variable under kit to Priest of Lathander but noticed in-game there is no Boon ability. Do I have to add it manually, at the correct lvl up using EEkeeper? that would break immersion pretty badly.
    @biffyclanger, yes, initially you would need to add. If you go to the tab called 'Inate', you can add the spell there (do it by Kit - Level 1) and you should be fine. For the rest of the game, it should change as you level up.

Gus
    @Gusinda cheers! works like a charm!
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    What I normally do when adding kits to characters is that I change their level and XP to 0 and their HP to 1/0. Then I load that save and level up to level 1, a process during which the game itself adds all the kit specific stuff.
    After that you can just alter your XP and you're done.
    Cheers I tried the lvl0 trick and its works very well. Only caveat being you have to reduce some incorrect HP and thief skill points but that is easy to correct.
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    Legend said:

Weird...perhaps you're using save from 2.5? I haven't used 2.5 saves yet so it's working for me...hopefully I don't break my saves too lol...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @GarrusN7 At the time that post was posted the 2.5 patch beta wasn't even released.
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155

@GarrusN7 At the time that post was posted the 2.5 patch beta wasn't even released.

Ah, so that means it must be something on his side then. Everything works fine for me. Usually, when I get such crash it's from corrupted save or something.