Skip to content

Best Names for CHARNAME

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Well, if names like that are right up your alley, I'd suggest googling 'silly p*rn names'.

Edit: Their acting is bare-bones because they spent all their creative juices on coming up with their stage names.

Edit 2: Or so I've been told.

Peter of the North was already taken in BG1
    ProontsemiticgoddessMontresor_SP
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for my male characters:

Half-Orc: Orok or Dracke if barbarian
    Human: Caernor or Kore if monk
    Elf/Half-Elf: Bellum
    Gnome: Ulgar
    Dwarf: Kargreth
    Arcane Spell caster: Jon Irenicus ( with portrait/sound set/sprite )
    Extra male character if need be: Marek

for my female characters:

Cleric/Front liner: Darsa
    Thief Type: Taere
    Arcane caster: Suna or Asuna if an elf

or even sometimes i name my team mates:

CHAR0001
    CHAR0002
    CHAR0003
    CHAR0004
    CHAR0005
    CHAR0006

just so i can find them in the character folder when i go to import/export, still kind of annoyed that beamdog changed it so the imported character files has the "character name" instead of the "import name" grr....
    booinyoureyesGusindaProont
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    Share mine too:
    Aurora
    Nemesis
    Laetitia
    Alizze Thezaall
    Palandine
    Amelisana >:)
    Luthien*
    Tinuviel*

And if i don't use those then archmaster John Ronald Reuel Tolkien* will always help <3
    Montresor_SPbooinyoureyesProontGusinda
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited March 2018
    I used to play a paladin, and tried something fitting:
    Either
    1) William Marshall

or
    2) Edward of Woodstock (aka the black prince)

Playing a monk or a staff wielding FM, I usually choose: Sun Wukong (Monkey awakened to enlightment - aka the monkey king).
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    booinyoureyesProontGusindaDev6
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I too play a monk character. And his name is... *sucks in air*

Jugemu Jugemu Gokō-no surikire Kaijarisuigyo-no Suigyōmatsu Unraimatsu Fūraimatsu Kuunerutokoro-ni Sumutokoro Yaburakōji-no burakōji Paipopaipo Paipo-no-shūringan Shūringan-no Gūrindai Gūrindai-no Ponpokopī-no Ponpokonā-no Chōkyūmei-no Chōsuke.

Great reference <3
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I'm considering an evil party for Icewind Dale:

- Sonetti
    - Bubba
    - Uncle Fu
    - El Burro
    - Deevers
    - Brother Marcus

(The six bosses you work for in the first Grand Theft Auto game.)
    StummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited March 2018
    Dev6 said:

Playing a monk or a staff wielding FM, I usually choose: Sun Wukong (Monkey awakened to enlightment - aka the monkey king).

I've never played a monk, but when I do this is what I'm gonna name him.
    @Dev6
    You could even do a IWD run with a small party:

Sun Wukong/Monkey:
    FM with a staff

Tang Sanzang/Tripitaka:
    Priest of lathander (recitation and prayer spamming)

Zhu Bhaje/Pigsy:
    Berserker with a spear

Sha wujing/Friar Sand:
    Figther with a halberd

It could be a journey to the north... they would reach godhood at level 30 - and be mighty pleased about it.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    ProontDev6
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Cavalier - Marcus Dragonbane

Because of Wizardry I like the name Werdna but I spell it Wyrdna because it looks cooler and is less like plagiarism. Wyrdna Bonedancer for a Necromancer or a sorcerer/dragon disciple specializing in necromancer spells is a name I love.

Names of characters my friends chose back when I was a D&D dungeon master are also favorites of mine. Those names are Hanslow Tinderbow (ranger, archer or fighter) and Hansoff Lightfingers (thief). I also love the name Kayla (so much so that's my daughter's first name) so Kayla Forest for any female Druid or Ranger.
    Proont
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2018
    No. You are all wrong. The best name for a female protagonist is Charmaine.

The name comes from a 1924 play, What Price Glory?, (!!!! How appropriate!), that depicts two powerful characters facing off for supremacy against the backdrop of a world-wide conflict set in motion by forces they cannot understand.

Victory is mine. You know this.

B)

Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    ProontThacoBelltbone1booinyoureyes
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    So men should be called Charlemagne, King of a large part of Europe at against the backdrop of worldwide poverty and famine caused by years of war versus old allies and new enemies.
    ProontStummvonBordwehrThacoBellbooinyoureyes
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2018
    lroumen said:

So men should be called Charlemagne, King of a large part of Europe at against the backdrop of worldwide poverty and famine caused by years of war versus old allies and new enemies.

Yes, if pronounced in English. The French pronunciation doesn't suit our purposes, a good mame for CHARNAME, and what could be more fitting than a fitting rhyme or approximation of CHARNAME.

Similarly, the English pronunciation of Charmaine, the name I suggested above for female Bhaalspawn, is better for our purposes than the original French pronunciation.

Of course, this hearkens back to the numerous discussions over the years whether the "Char" in Charname should be pronounced "/tja/", "/ka/", or "/sja/". The second syllable "name" would most comfortably become "/naim/" in English, aligning well with the English version of Charmaine or Charlemagne, as given above, but less well with the French versions.

A Conclusion, of sorts: French and the Romance languages (heh!) take you out for fine dining and lilting conversation; English chases you down alleyways and mugs you for spare vocabulary, pronouncing the spoils however it damn well pleases.
    Montresor_SPProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I prefer Xa :)
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I prefer short names because your name keeps coming up in dialogue. It breaks immersion for me if your party members or other people call your evil human Necromancer "Tom Marvolo Riddle" every time they speak to him.
    ZaghoulGusindaProontUnderstandMouseMagic
  • CharnaFishCharnaFish Member Posts: 1
    Charn, or Charna if female.
    'Cause , get it?
    Montresor_SPbooinyoureyesProontsemiticgoddess
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I like the germanic names, I find myself constructing one often to go with a character idea I have. They are composed of multiple parts. Siegfried (friend of victory), Brunolf (brown wolf), Bjorn (bear) etc, etc etc.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @Abi_Dalzim Just curious, is there any particular reason that you chose Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?

Contemplative_HamsterThacoBellProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    tbone1 said:

@Abi_Dalzim Just curious, is there any particular reason that you chose Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?

I think it's because Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-niflheim-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm was too long.
    Contemplative_HamsterThacoBelltbone1Proont
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited April 2018

For a bard, I chose the name Johann Gambolputty...de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

I call bollocks! That name is to long for the charname string entry block in the chaacter creation screen!

Edit: Also why would he have to von is his name? Was he born exactly of the border of two counties?

Second edit:... of Ulm. Sorry, border of three counties, one of which belongs to another country.
    booinyoureyes