Skip to content

The "How Do I Pronounce ____?" Thread

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen said:

Why do so many of you pronounce an 'a' as 'uh'?

Well, at least in English, any letter can have anywhere from 2 to 4 different sounds depending on its context.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2018
    lroumen said:

Why do so many of you pronounce an 'a' as 'uh'?

In English, usually (always, usually in English), if a word is supposed to end with the long a sound, it would be followed by a y.

Examples: may, day, tray, etc...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    "A" can have multiple different sounds, so when spelling it out phonetically, people usually use these conventions:

a = the "a" in "cat"
    ah = the "a" in "father"
    aw = the "a" in "law"
    uh = the "a" in "soda"
    ay = the "a" in "late"

"A" can also appear in other phonetic spellings:

ai = the "i" in "time"
    ao = the "ow" in "how"

Fun fact: numerous A's in Sanskrit are pronounced "uh" even when a word has multiple A's in it. For instance, "ananda" is pronounced "uh-nuhn-duh," while an English pronunciation of "ananda" would be "uh-nahn-duh."

English in general has lots of ambiguous vowels as well as ambiguous accents on syllables. That's pretty much the only reason this topic even exists!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Maybe but I cannot recall a word where the a sounds like uh
    Another
    Arrive
    Penalize
    Apathy (the second "a")
    Analyze (the second "a")
    Virtually any "a" that comes at the end of a word, like hydra, ulna, sofa, soda, papa, aqua, mama, salsa, corona, extrema, era, novella, plaza, pizza, pupa, larva, diva, nova, data, okra, boa, fora, and phyla.

It's extremely common in English.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    lroumen said:

@Iroumen
    Are you Welsh?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

A-gan-azz-er

deity

is the "azz" sound more "az" or "ats"?
    Az

Source: We met once at a spellcasting conference :)
    edited March 2018

Another
    Arrive
    Penalize
    Apathy (the second "a")
    Analyze (the second "a")
    Virtually any "a" that comes at the end of a word, like hydra, ulna, sofa, soda, papa, aqua, mama, salsa, corona, extrema, era, novella, plaza, pizza, pupa, larva, diva, nova, data, okra, boa, fora, and phyla.

sorry but none of these are an uh for me. Or maybe I don't understand what uh should sound like then. I would pronounce them as ah.

lroumen said:

@Iroumen
    Are you Welsh?
    Dutch having learned Oxford English.
    lroumen said:

Another
    Arrive
    Penalize
    Apathy (the second "a")
    Analyze (the second "a")

sorry but none of these are an uh for me. Or maybe I don't understand what uh should sound like then. I would pronounce them as ah.
    Are you from Boston?
    @lroumen: What about the word "mama?" Do both A's have the exact same sound?

Also, I just now realized that your username is a lowercase L instead of an uppercase i. I thought your username was pronounced "ee-roh-min," and sounded kind of like Imoen.
    edited March 2018
    Mama is indeed both the same sound for both syllables.

It's L Roumen :), Row-mun. (not row as columns and rows but row meaning an argument, like saying how.

My gamer name is ironman by reading the L as capital i, inverting the u to n and the e to a.
    Anyway, continuing the game:

Garrick: gare-rick

Next name: rakshasa

Anyway, continuing the game:

Garrick: gare-rick

Next name: rakshasa

Rock-shah-sah

Ankheg
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    ...... How do you even phonetically explain this one?
    Angk-egg
    The "A" is like the "A" in kangaroo.
    Davaeorn
    Davaeorn: dah-vay-orn (all syllables equally accented)

Next name: @Alesia_BH
    Uh-leeshi-uh Bee-aitch
    Next name: Nishruu
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited March 2018
    I've always pronounced Nishruu as "Neesh-roo," actually. Now that I think about it, I'm inclined to go with Nih-shroo.

Next Name: Qilue

(Aren't non-phonetic alphabets fun? You can't play this game in Korean)
    edited March 2018
    Qui? Louis?
    Or Ki-Lu-Eh

Aboleth
    Alesia_BH said:

Neverused said:

Bee-aitch

Umm...Careful there. That's close to being, well, ahh, not exactly what I intended... :D

Best,

A.

Yeah, I realized that as I was typing... But how else do you get the letter B and then the letter H?
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    "Bee FULL STOP aitch FULL STOP" does the trick.
    Welcome back, @Alesia_BH! It's good to have you around.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    lroumen said:

Another
    Arrive
    Penalize
    Apathy (the second "a")
    Analyze (the second "a")

lroumen said:

@Iroumen
    Are you Welsh?
    Dutch having learned Oxford English.
    i think that you don't understand which sound is being denoted by 'uh'
    If you can, link me a sound
    edited March 2018
    @lroumen: There's a video on Youtube where a woman switches back and forth. Skip to 1:00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPv2mJJwHQ
    edited March 2018
    Okay, I definitely know what uh is then. The Dutch use it a lot. But, I still have no idea which -a- containing word would be spoken as an uh :p.

Funny how sounds differ.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited March 2018
    maybe we should use the cmu phonetic notation system, it's by far the simplest (official) one, but it's just for AmE
    http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cmudict?in=rubber

there 'uh' is AH

Phoneme Example Translation ------- ------- ----------- AA odd AA D AE at AE T AH hut HH AH T AO ought AO T AW cow K AW AY hide HH AY D B be B IY CH cheese CH IY Z D dee D IY DH thee DH IY EH Ed EH D ER hurt HH ER T EY ate EY T F fee F IY G green G R IY N HH he HH IY IH it IH T IY eat IY T JH gee JH IY K key K IY L lee L IY M me M IY N knee N IY NG ping P IH NG OW oat OW T OY toy T OY P pee P IY R read R IY D S sea S IY SH she SH IY T tea T IY TH theta TH EY T AH UH hood HH UH D UW two T UW V vee V IY W we W IY Y yield Y IY L D Z zee Z IY ZH seizure S IY ZH ER

here's how their automated pronounciation tool does it, not bad imho
    THAXLLSSILLYIA TH AE K S L S AH L AY IY AH NABASSU N AH B AE S UW YXUNOMEI Y K S Y UW N AH M IY PHAERE F IY R DRIZZT D R IH Z T HAREISHAN HH AH R IY SH AH N BRAGE B R EY JH DEMIVRGVS D AH M IH V R G Z MUTAMIN M Y UW T AH M AH N OTYUGH AA T AY UW ALAUNDO AH L AO N D OW BJORNIN B JH AO R N AH N SVIRFNEBLIN S V AH R F N EH B L AH N MELF'S MINUTE METEORS M EH L F S M IH N AH T M IY T IY ER Z FIRKRAAG F AH R K R AH G BODHI B AA D HH IY PAI-NA P AA IY N AA XVART Z V AA R T
    Somehow we got lost. I'll start it up again.

Aboleth: ab-oh-leth

Next name: @Grond0
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    edited March 2018
    Someone else will have to help me out here because I don't know ;).

I can't remember when I fixed on Grond as a user name, but it was quite a few years ago. The first time I used it, it was simply Grond (I took the name from the battering ram in Lord of the Rings, rather than the older hammer of Morgoth). That wasn't allowed on the next site I tried to use it for though, so it got converted to Grond0 and has stuck there. Although it's clearly written with the number zero, I'd answer to either the number or the letter 'o' when verbalized. That reflects the fact that when I say phone numbers I use o and 0 interchangeably - though if anything I probably have a slight preference for o.

Edit: re-reading that post I see I shouldn't have tried to respond immediately while I was in the middle of doing something else :p. I'll leave the post in case it gives anyone else a chuckle, while throwing out Loup Garou for offers.
    What's the next name to pronounce, @Grond0?