Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Alesia_BH said:

Hey there, hi there, everyone!

I've been busy of late, and haven't been reading the thread, but I can see by a cursory glance that congratulations are in order- especially to semiticgod for his LoB solo. Outstanding work- both in the game world and in your head. I respect the lessons you learned from the experience as much as the triumph itself. Well done!

Welcome back. Take a seat.
    There is some soup by the fireplace. (Watch for the cat.)

I myself was away for some months. Fortunately, the dedicated people of this thread keep the fire going with neverending creativity.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Neverused Congrats on reaching Amn. :)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Flashburn: Clever use of the Throwing Impaler. I hadn't realized that was a possibility. War Hulks only get the temporary 0-APR effect on hit for melee attacks instead of ranged attacks (melee and ranged on-hit effects use a different opcode), but I assumed that since they couldn't use missile weapons, that would never come into play.

Ascension Melissan will be a nightmare, but you should be able to deal with her provided you can remove the Five from the equation. Once she's alone, it should be possible to kite her by switching back and forth between the Impaler and the Shield of Reflection to block her darts.
    lolien
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Ah, condolences Flashburn: would've been fun to see a mod kit in the Hall, a mod kit that the author himself thought impossible to win with.
    semiticgoddessFlashburnlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The window for Focus is incredibly small. Melissan's Time Stop has a casting time of 3, so it's easy to lose a run by a fraction of a second even if you have the Amulet of Power.

I'm amazed you got so far, @Flashburn. I would have thought getting past SoD alone was impossible, much less BG2 or ToB. But you've demonstrated that a solo War Hulk run is nevertheless possible, however daunting it may be.

This was a marvelous demonstration of the kit and your own abilities as a no-reloader. I look forward to your next run, whatever it may be.
    Flashburnlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Hard luck @aldain. You're right that web is a different effect from hold, so remove paralysis won't help. I'm also fairly sure that the web tangle is a natural effect rather than magical, so free action would have been your best bet there.
    Serg_BlackStriderCorey_Russelllolien
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    I actually managed to beat bg1, bg2 SOA and TOB no reload on my first playthrough (blind, no max HP on level up, core rules, no mods). I played the original IE versions of the game. I played slow and carefully and it wasn’t easy (I felt quite stressed out at times too). Thankfully, I had prior D&D experience with Temple of Elemental Evil which I felt was helpful (even with the differences in the two games).

I played as the pre-generated dwarven fighter that ships with original IE bg1. I named him Bronin. His starting stats are str 18/58, dex 15, con 19, and the other stats were around 10. More details to follow...

Post edited by Bronin on
    Mantis37ussnorwaylolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Blind? I'm surprised that Shoal didn't get you :D.

@Grond0 Is Laran a conjurer or a diviner?
    Serg_BlackStriderYgramul
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Mantis37 said:

@Grond0 Is Laran a conjurer or a diviner?

@Mantis37 good spot O eagle-eyed one :D. Laran is a diviner - I used my report from 2 runs previously as a template and forgot to adjust the character in the heading there from conjurer ;).
    Mantis37
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    @Mantis37
    If you are talking about Shoal the Nereid, Ajantis talked to her since he was party leader. I guess I didn't make it clear that it wasn't a solo playthrough.

@aldain
    My character got webbed too in a similar encounter, but he had over 100 HP and survived even the Huge Spider or Phase Spider poison (not sure which one) when webbed. I was unlucky in failing that poison save though with saves vs poison at 1 (the save is made at a -2 penalty). There were no or only one Sword Spiders. I know how critical avoiding status effects is and normally play accordingly. I was surprised by that Gargantuan Spide ability and usually I am not as surprised by monsters (having the AD&D 2nd Edition Monster Manual and D&D 3.5 experience). My party was Corwin, Glint, Minsc, Dynaheir and charname but it has since changed.
    Post edited by Bronin on
    ussnorway