Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition 2.5 Update Beta Improvements

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited March 2018 in The 2.5 Update Beta
The 2.5 update beta for Icewind Dale: Enhanced continues with a new update! The following features and fixes will be rolling out to Steam and Beamdog today. An update to the beta on Google Play will follow in the near future.

See the full list of fixes and features here:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-25-update.html

Please, test and don't hesitate to report any issue you find!
ronaldoBelleSorciereStummvonBordwehrlefreutbleusteelAedanthemazingnessTorgrimmerThacoBellsarevok57ALIENMateoFrozenProont

Comments

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Very pleased with the update will continue to test.
    StummvonBordwehrAedanJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    What annoyance I've got IWD on GOG.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Great! I am still looking forward to the Ferret familiar working with his blur spell eventually - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/33437 :) Will keep checking for that one. Good work on the improvements you guys have made!

JuliusBorisov
  • ProfErrataProfErrata Member Posts: 35
    How long will it last the 2.5 Update Beta before the release of the definitive version of IWDEE ?
    Aedan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

How long will it last the 2.5 Update Beta before the release of the definitive version of IWDEE ?

I wonder, though, will there ever be a "definitive" version, considering the amount of feature requests and the tricky Infinity Engine.

That said, it's too early to estimate. The beta testing of the new build has just started. Don't think about the timeline now, help test the build instead. The more you find, the better the final patch will be, and the closer it will be to a "definitive" version.
    bleusteelGreenWarlock
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

I wonder, though, will there ever be a "definitive" version, considering the amount of feature requests and the tricky Infinity Engine.

That said, it's too early to estimate. The beta testing of the new build has just started. Don't think about the timeline now, help test the build instead. The more you find, the better the final patch will be, and the closer it will be to a "definitive" version.
    This started me thinking @JuliusBorisov (and we know that's dangerous). Will Beamdog ever have the ability to actually revamp games like this more than simple fixes and dialog replacements, etc.? Like by adding in additional areas - Kind of fleshing it out a bit? IWD is one of my all-time favorites, but it lacks the story length of some other titles, hence why they came out with the free Trials of the Luremaster expansion. I always thought if more areas were added in and (pipe dream) there were NPCs placed in it Ala Baldur's Gate, it would be an even better game than BG was in the end. One can dream, right?
    StummvonBordwehrVoytazMelicampProont
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    but it would never match the BG titles in extent and quality, and alter the original experience completely.
    IWD is a dungeon crawl, while BG is a roleplaying game (as much as it an be in a scripted computer game) and that's just good as it is in my opinion.
    IWD:EE on Google Play now got a new beta build as well!
    brotirael4ik

but it would never match the BG titles in extent and quality, and alter the original experience completely.
    IWD is a dungeon crawl, while BG is a roleplaying game (as much as it an be in a scripted computer game) and that's just good as it is in my opinion.

I get what you are saying - but really a dungeon crawl is merely a series of adventures involving one or multiple dungeons. It doesn't preclude the possibility of more areas or content. As for altering the original experience, I mean, that's what the Enhanced Editions are about to an extent. Keeping the core story intact while adding content. In any event, I didn't mean to start this discussion up on the patch topic. Just commenting based on what someone else said.
    Proont
  • BieliqBieliq Member Posts: 14
    Where i can report issues with 2.5 beta?
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Bieliq See this topic.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

This started me thinking @JuliusBorisov (and we know that's dangerous). Will Beamdog ever have the ability to actually revamp games like this more than simple fixes and dialog replacements, etc.? Like by adding in additional areas - Kind of fleshing it out a bit? IWD is one of my all-time favorites, but it lacks the story length of some other titles, hence why they came out with the free Trials of the Luremaster expansion. I always thought if more areas were added in and (pipe dream) there were NPCs placed in it Ala Baldur's Gate, it would be an even better game than BG was in the end. One can dream, right?
    not happening for obvious reasons (it would be a mediocre business decision at best)
    bob_veng said:

not happening for obvious reasons (it would be a mediocre business decision at best)
    Interesting take. Curious though, If enhancing the games is a good business decision, and patches are continued to be released (even 3.5 years after a game comes out), why would adding even more content be a bad business decision? I agree though and I'm about 100% positive this will never happen.
    Melicamp
    We're rolling out an early version of the 2.5 update (i.e. not a beta but a patch!) to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on Google Play due to crashing issues on that platform with the previous retail build.

Android players will see v2.5.13.2 made available over the next few days. Other platforms will be updated when the full 2.5 update is ready.
    HaHaCharadelolien

We're rolling out an early version of the 2.5 update (i.e. not a beta but a patch!) to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on Google Play due to crashing issues on that platform with the previous retail build.

Android players will see v2.5.13.2 made available over the next few days. Other platforms will be updated when the full 2.5 update is ready.

Is the timeframe for the other platforms "days" or "weeks" would you say @JuliusBorisov?
    Second beta builds for BG:EE and BG2:EE haven't been released yet, and the full 2.5 update for all games (as they share the same engine) can become available only after the beta is over, so - "weeks" in this particular regard.
    HaHaCharadeProontlolien
    edited March 2018
    Here's perhaps a silly question - Do you not have the ability to set a custom "Small" sized portrait after the 2.5 patch? In the beta it only gives you the one portrait option... however some of my small portraits are customized, more zoomed in versions of the larger portrait. Rather than having the large one just shrunken down.. Know what I mean?
    Aedan
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    If you have L and M versions of your portraits, the game will automatically use the M file as the small portrait.

But since patch 2.0, you can no longer choose a small portrait with a completely different name than the normal portrait.
    JuliusBorisovHaHaCharadeProont
    Yes.

If you have 2 files, eg:
    1aL.bmp
    and
    1aM.bmp

the game will understand these are L and M portraits (L for the Record Screen, M - for the sidebar).

For existing games, you'll have to use the EE-Keeper to assign different portrait versions.
    HaHaCharadeAedanProontlolien

Yes.

If you have 2 files, eg:
    1aL.bmp
    and
    1aM.bmp

the game will understand these are L and M portraits (L for the Record Screen, M - for the sidebar).

For existing games, you'll have to use the EE-Keeper to assign different portrait versions.

Makes sense - thank you
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Has anyone recorded as an issue, or noticed, black lines sporadically springing up near sprites when not using sprite outlines? This is especially visible on snowy backgrounds, such as Easthaven.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Melicamp said:

Has anyone recorded as an issue, or noticed, black lines sporadically springing up near sprites when not using sprite outlines? This is especially visible on snowy backgrounds, such as Easthaven.

I don't know if it's the same issue you see, but there are some tickets about graphical glitches: this or this.
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    Yes, these are the black lines Melicamp is talking about, lefreut. They are harder to see in dungeons, but on snowy terrain they are easy to spot. They vary in size depending on the animation frame of the sprite and avatar type. But my biggest problem with the new engine is the scrolling behavior on maps. The screen center becomes blurry while the north and south part of the screen is sharp as it should be. This is a huge back step. I am using week hardware but the Intel graphics can handle the scrolling on 2.3 engine without hurting my eyes. I hope this will be fixed for all users, who have no graphic-cards at hand.
    HaHaCharadeMelicamplolien
    lefreut said:

Melicamp said:

I don't know if it's the same issue you see, but there are some tickets about graphical glitches: this or this.
    I've noticed these as well.
    Clubboth said:

Yes, these are the black lines Melicamp is talking about, lefreut. They are harder to see in dungeons, but on snowy terrain they are easy to spot. They vary in size depending on the animation frame of the sprite and avatar type. But my biggest problem with the new engine is the scrolling behavior on maps. The screen center becomes blurry while the north and south part of the screen is sharp as it should be. This is a huge back step. I am using week hardware but the Intel graphics can handle the scrolling on 2.3 engine without hurting my eyes. I hope this will be fixed for all users, who have no graphic-cards at hand.

Yes, on snow they are really noticeable. Kind of looks bad tbh.
  • brotirael4ikbrotirael4ik Member Posts: 9
    Lfg in mp with someone in ID EE for beta testing (android) rus/eng lang
    JuliusBorisov
    Is there an easy way to search currently submitted issues to ensure there aren't duplicates? Found a major bug with character biographies in the current IWD Beta. As you transition between map areas, certain custom biographies are deleting / becoming blank. Not sure if this is recorded yet, but I can create a report.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
This discussion has been closed.