Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Mantis37, I have stopped putting all the files in the centralfixed zip. I now only put in the dialog.tlk (in it's language folder of course), zip it (lang.zip) and centralfix it. I then put lang.zip and the rest of the mods into another zip file (can be compressed), only to decrease the amount of time copying to the device, copy it and unzip on the device.

You end up with all the mods uncompressed (in thier folder location) and lang.zip hanging around baldur.ini. BG2EE was particularly sensitive to what was in mods, but this mod to the procedure seemed to have things working for me.

I might add that I haven't done any that are the size you are discussing...

Gus
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited March 2018
    How interesting. So you don't need to centralfix all the modded files? Do you just move the modded files & folders after doing the installation process on the PC?

I ended up with big .zips because I was lazy and centralfixed the whole music/ lang directories, not just the modified files. Being more tidy doesn't seem to make much difference though.
    Post edited by Mantis37 on
    @Mantis37, yeah. Using BG1EE and english language as an example:

I have another folder where I do all the zipping. In my case it is 'BG1EE 2070.ModFile'. I prep the mods in 'BG1EE 2070' and I also have a clean version (unmodded) of BG1 in 'BG1EE 2070.Clean'. I can quickly delete the contents of the 'BG1EE 2070' folder and copy a clean version over for a change of mods.

In the 'BG1EE 2070.ModFile' folder, I have the following structure:
    - lang
    - lang\en_US
    - override
    - centralfix.exe (file)

If there is no requirement to copy any sounds etc (and normally there isn't), I copy 'dialog.tlk' into 'lang\en_US'. Select the folder 'lang' and zip it up using Store (I use WinRAR) only, so no compression. I always call it 'lang.zip', so I know then what that file is. You could call it BGxlang.zip so you know which version BG... I then centralfix 'lang.zip'.

Copy over the contents of the 'BG1EE 2070\override' into the 'BG1EE 2070.ModFile\override' folder.

Select both lang.zip and the override folder (in 'BG1EE 2070.ModFile'), and zip them up using compression. I have tried all compression methods in WinRAR and have been able to unpack all with ES File Explorer but have only tried "Good" compression for My Files. I am sure it will work with the rest.

Copy the resulting file (whatever.zip in this case) to 'sdcard/android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/' and unpack on the device into current path. lang.zip will be located beside baldur.ini and the override folder will be unpacked. Make sure you either delete or move 'whatever.zip' so it doesn't conflict with the mod. You will know as BG will crash on start...

You could just copy lang.zip and the override folder straight onto the device, but with thousands of files in override, it would take hours... This method takes a couple of minutes.

BG1 was better with the single zip file but BG2 was horrid. It would crash regularly. Have the files seperate, I didn't have a crash at all. Having said that, I am only testing mods on my Note 4 these days and not really playing. I bought a Hybrid Windows Notebook (touchscreen) so that has become my goto device when not at my gaming platform.

Hope that explains all. If it is still confusing, let me know and I will explain the 'Fog of War'.
    Gus
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    OK, thanks for the tips. Yes, BG1 went fine, so I was confused by BG2 crashing. This method seems to install much better, the game is actually starting!
  • martinistripesmartinistripes Member Posts: 20
    So, I had a mod installed for Icewind Dale: EE that let me use all voices from IWD2 with correct subtitles. Just recently I backed up my IWD:EE folders in Android\Data and Android\OBB and wiped the ROM on my tablet and updated. I thought it would be a simple process of copying these folders back across after reinstalling IWD. Except now, I'm getting the Invalid: 41### thing every time one of my characters speak. The portraits and actual voices (including the ones from IWD2) are working fine.

Not sure what to do. I tried restarting a fresh game, and still get the same result.
    Hi @martinistripes, did you install the same version; 1.3.x, 1.4.0 or the beta? The error looks like the dialog.tlk hasn't been updated or it is the wrong version.

What way did you initially install the mod? In your backup/modfile, can you check you make sure you have a copy of your dialog.

To fix, I would just do the reinstall of the mod and copy it across again.

Gus
  • PieloverPielover Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    @Isaya Thank you for this! And everyone involved.

got this to work on bg2ee on note8. still gonna test some things out but so far its good.
    Yes, I backed up from the Beta version and restored to the Beta version, when I open my Mods.zip there is a dialog.tlk file in lang\en_US. I'm wondering if the file got corrupted when I back it up... I'll try and re-add the dialog.tlk to the Mods.zip
    So, I copied the dialog.tlk from my PC install (which is working fine with the mod) and copied it into the correct location in my Mods.zip on my tablet. Still the same, invalid. :-/
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Isaya said:

@JuliusBorisov I filed the bug on redmine, tagging it for BGEE. I'm not able to test BG2EE at the moment. I assume Beamdog will check if the issue is at the Infinity Engine level or specific to a given game and fix it accordingly.

I provided files to reproduce the issue with dialog.tlk. The archive to reproduce the issue with french sound files in bif files (Loc*.bif) is too big to attach. I provided directions to build it. Thanks.

The issue has been submitted to the internal tracker and will be fixed. Thanks a lot to all the players here!
    Hi @martinistripes, another reason why the mod.zip (I am unsure what is in it, ie the entire mod or just dialog.tlk) isn't being read properly is that it hasn't had 'centralfix' applied prior to copying the mod onto the device. Could this be the case for you (particularly if you are updating mod.zip on the device)?

Gus
  • Gdcr7Gdcr7 Member Posts: 5
    Hey! thanks a lot OP, all mods is working fine on my Android BG:EE now, but i have a question, if i wanted to update/ add some new mods, do i have to install all mods from the beginning or i just have to install the new one and replace the override folder with a new one? thanks.
  • JudicatorJudicator Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 5
    edited March 2018
    Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with SCS mod in BG2EE patch 2.5 Beta on Android -> "Invalid: XXXXX". I attach screens below to show what's going on.

I do not know if BG2EE patch 2.5 Beta on Android supports modding but I have installed SCS on Desktop Steam Beta 2.5 version and everything works fine, so probably on Android it should work too.

I installed only spell tweaks components (but bug affects all components of SCS in fact - tested).

In game every changed spell/element works exactly as it should after moding (ie. Breach is absorbed by spell turning, etc.), but descriptions of modded spells are "Invalid"
    Everything was done by the book. (Mods.zip file is cetralized using centralfix.exe)

I assume it is somehow related to dialog.tlk
    I attach Mods.zip, perhaps someone can make some use of it.

Hi @gdcr7, if you have a copy of the mods setup still on PC, then you only have to do the update. If you have cleaned that area, you will have to redo from scratch.
    I now do batch installs of mods so the process if very quick to get to where I was, then move forward.

@Judicator, you are correct. It is related to the dialog.tlk. I haven't downloaded the beta to test. BG2EE was a problem with 1.3.x so I found it best to separate the dialog.tlk from the rest in the modfile. I ended up doing it this way:

- zip up the lang folder first, then centralfix that
    - zip lang.zip and override folder together
    - move file to the device into the game\files folder then unpack keeping the folder structure. You should end up with lang.zip in the files folder (sitting with baldur.lua) and the override folder unpacked on the device.

This may not fix the problem but worth a try (I think it may be using the original dialog.tlk).

Another thing to try (if the versions are the same) is to use the desktop version to make the android modfile. Just copy the lang folder and override folder into a separate folder and make the modfile from them. Centralise and copy across. Only if the versions are the same...

Gus
    edited March 2018
    Hi,

@Gusinda, I tried both options you have spoken of (lang.zip and override together and copy of dekstop modded files to android device). The same effect :(
    What is more I even made third attempt where I used dialog.tlk from unmodded version. This failed either.

In conclusion, it seems that beta 2.5 on Android does not support modding yet. Or perhaps centralfix does not work as intended.
    I hope 2.5 final is around the corner and when it finally shows up, all will work fine. :P
    Anyway, thanks for help.
    Post edited by Judicator on
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Judicator From previous feedback, it seemed that the previous beta 2.5 (from december 2017) was working properly (at least regarding the absence of Invalid texts) provided you selected English as language in the game as well as game language when installing mods with WeiDU.

When you installed mods, did you tell WeiDU that you intended to use English in the game? This tell WeiDU to add new texts to lang/en_US/dialog.tlk.
    On the computer where you installed the mods, open the file weidu.conf with a text editor such as notepad (on Windows). Does it contain "lang_dir = en_us"?
    Hi @Isaya. Of course I had set lang to en_us. It's not that.
    Besides as I said earlier on desktop version everything works correctly (the same mod - the same installation process).
    I have figured it out.
    I didn't install all patches in sequence correctly on Android (I thought all was ok but in fact I missed one). All works now. Thanks for help.
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    edited April 2018
    @Judicator I am sorry, but what do You mean by "I didn't install all patches in sequence correctly on Android"? I am signed in Google Play as beta tester and I have BG2 version 2.5.10 on my Android tablet and no other update is available for me.

I am stuck with invalid dialog lines anywhere where some MOD content should be, although mod content is there (items, etc.) I tried same process as with BG1 (centralfix only lang.zip in which are lang/en_US/dialog.tlk and other folders with files put without zipping nor centralfixing) but with absolutelly no success :disappointed: Game obviously ignore my new dialog.tlk :disappointed:
    edited April 2018
    Hi @Caszidy,

First of all I used override and dialog files from desktop Steam version of the game to mod Android version of the game. (strange as it may seems it worked)
    The sequence to install SCS on Android was to:
    1. copy scs mod to game folder ,
    2. copy actual BiG World Fixpack and BiG World Textpack,
    3. run BiG World Fixpack,
    4. run BiG World Textpack,
    5. run SCS mod installer.
    Anyway you can do all those steps just by using BigWorldSetup (it'll do it for you).

After that I moved override and dialog to android and it worked.
    Hope it will help you.
    Post edited by Judicator on
    @Judicator So that means that you install all patches on your Steam version of the game.
    Dammit in that case I am screwed, because I don't have desktop version of the game, nor the Steam.
    Looks like I will need to wait for final stable 2.5 Android update which hopefully fix this dialog.tlk related problems ( @JuliusBorisov ) ?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited April 2018

Isaya said:

@JuliusBorisov I filed the bug on redmine, tagging it for BGEE. I'm not able to test BG2EE at the moment. I assume Beamdog will check if the issue is at the Infinity Engine level or specific to a given game and fix it accordingly.

I provided files to reproduce the issue with dialog.tlk. The archive to reproduce the issue with french sound files in bif files (Loc*.bif) is too big to attach. I provided directions to build it. Thanks.

The issue has been submitted to the internal tracker and will be fixed. Thanks a lot to all the players here!
    "mod archives created with centralfix don't work properly (partial content only)" should be actually fixed in the current beta (it's not mentioned in the patch notes, but the fixes should be in). But this beta is still not on Google Play yet.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Thank you very much for this good news, @JuliusBorisov
  • junyangchejunyangche Member Posts: 32
    Caszidy said:

@Judicator So that means that you install all patches on your Steam version of the game.
    Dammit in that case I am screwed, because I don't have desktop version of the game, nor the Steam.
    Looks like I will need to wait for final stable 2.5 Android update which hopefully fix this dialog.tlk related problems ( @JuliusBorisov ) ?

you dont need a pc version,just unzip the 2.5 Android obb files and then setup with the mods.
    @junyangche I know, I've done that countless time, but now in most recent 2.5 Android beta, it stopped working (read last 2-3 pages of this thread).
    @JuliusBorisov already promised solution just 2 posts above.
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, the latest build still hasn't been uploaded to Google Play as the developers are fighing nasty crashes.
    @JuliusBorisov New beta is in the Google Play store. Should I celebrate, or this beta doesn't solve our problem? o:)
    It should, in theory. We haven't had a chance to verify it yet.
    Great, I will try it at weekend (with hopefully enough time to it)
    @JuliusBorisov Hi I tried it, but unfortunatelly I must say, that it's still not working :'(
    Maybe someone else will try it too and confirm my test ( @Gusinda @Isaya ?)