Skip to content

Hello Newbie with questions

AvaleanAvalean Member Posts: 7
edited March 2018 in New Members Welcome Area
Hi all played NWN looooonnnggg ago, so back for round II.
Now as it seems the forums are never wnding, I have read the manuals, books, comments and such, yet to date I can not find one little bit of info I think is important for building a module.
Q: How the heck do you make your map visible to players as a part of the module with out them having to use console commands, hacks or such?
Example; building a village, I want players to be able to on module launch be able to see the entire village none of this "Fog of War" stuff.

Ideas, suggestions, fixes??

Thanks.
Atrophiederic

Comments

• XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    Do you have the official Toolkit guidebook?
    Atrophiederic
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    no answers to your questions, but i'd like to welcome you to the forums. enjoy round 2! :)
    Atrophiederic
  • AvaleanAvalean Member Posts: 7
    I have 2 manuals I am going through, Toolset manual V103, and neverwinter nights world builder guide. Any other suggesitons? I noticed that in the game proper you can "BUY" maps of the different districts and this seems ot open the entire map when a player enters a zone, just not figured out how it is done or I could simply place a merchant selling maps at the start of any specific area I wished to have open it up.
    I am by far NOT a programer nor computer whiz to begin with as is.
    Atrophiederic
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    edited March 2018
    @Avalean - welcome back, friend! It's a marvelous time to be an NwN fan!

Some ideas for you to look through (at least, some of those that I've found extremely helpful) -

1) The NwN Lexicon 1.69 - Vault Download - or The NwN Lexicon Online Wiki-thingie

2) The NwN University (Document, Help, PDF, Reference Guide, Tutorial, XLS Collection)

3) The NwN Omnibus

Probably some of the best resources available, even for the "NOT a programer nor computer whiz" types! May you have much funs in all of your building endeavors!

Thanks will do right now working on a village and shops.
    Atrophiederic
    edited April 2018
    OK found a referance to what I want to do but I am certainly doing something wrong. Anyone with SKYPE or Discord that knows editing so I can share a screen and they can go; OH, there is your problem, use... instead"? My GMT is currently +2 for time referances.
    edited April 2018
    So here is the basics.
    I created a tile set of a village.
    I want to make the area fully visible to players upon entry.
    SO, I placed a NPC at the start point that ask if they would like to buy a map of said village.
    There is two possible answers,
    Yes or No.
    If they select yes I wanted the entire tile set to be seen on their map when it opens.
    If no then game on with maps "Fog of war" as usual.

SO; I highlight the Yes response and select "Actions taken" Tab
    I then place in the following script.

void main()
    {
    object oPC = GetPCSpeaker();
    object oArea = GetObjectByTag(Dunduree);
    ExploreAreaForPlayer(oArea, oPC);
    }

And save.
    I get the Object Tag from going to properties on the tile set and looking for its TAG. Which in this case is Dunduree.

I save, start game all runs fine, NPC is on site, ask quesiotn, I respond with Yes and POOF no map revealed still "fog of war", so what am I missing here???

Any assistance would be welcomed.
    GM_ODA
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay, your welcoming cookie should arrive shortly. @Nimran
    [Deleted User]
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    :cookie: for you!
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2018
    Change your script as follows:

void main()
    {
    object oPC = GetPCSpeaker();
    object oArea = GetArea(oPC);
    ExploreAreaForPlayer(oArea, oPC);
    }