Skip to content

Xzar and Perhaps Montaron Mod (Spoilers)

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
edited November 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
I'm planning on doing a mod that brings Xzar and possibly Monty into BGII. There are multiple possibilities:

1. The Darkest Day method - Xzar was not really Xzar; reanimate Monty
2. Xzar kills Lucette (may or may not lead to reanimation of Monty)
3. The bird was Monty all along

I could have bird Monty become Xzar's Boo-like familiar.

As far as I can tell, none of these methods break Jaheira's romance quest, but I want to know what I should pick.
Post edited by dockaboomski on
TheGraveDiggerJuliusBorisovOxvajackjacklolienThacoBellAerakar

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Also, should I use Xzar from BG:
    STR 14 DEX 16 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 16 CHA 10
    or his .cre file from BGII?
    STR 10 DEX 16 CON 10 INT 17 WIS 14 (illegal for necromancer) CHA 14
    Should I include his items (Bracers of AC 6, Staff Spear, Robe of Evil Archmagi) or do you think this is too much too early?
    JuliusBorisov
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    it would be a good thing to see them back.

I took Xzar in my group already with the Ctrl+Q command
    dockaboomskizupskyJuliusBorisov
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    It was a mistake to have them Killed in SoA. they had great potential for making evil parties more interesting.
    dockaboomskiJuliusBorisovKamigoroshi
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

I'm planning on doing a mod that brings Xzar and possibly Monty into BGII.

I...I never loved you, @dockaboomski‌ !
    dockaboomskiCr4zyJlolientbone1
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 6
    I like the idea of Monty being Xzar's bird companion/familiar. He could still chime in for interjections, banters etc. You would have to explain why no one tries to turn him back, though... perhaps he perversely enjoys being a bird? Alternatively you could have a sidequest or two where Xzar ineptly tries to turn him back, perhaps resulting in him becoming a lizard or something. I think having Xzar+Monty both as NPCs is a bit restrictive for the player as it requires two slots, plus it means you have to work twice as hard if you want to compete with other mods/NPCs in terms of value per party slot.

As far as powerlevel goes, Necromancer is a pretty weak mage kit, and he obviously isn't going to compete with the likes of Edwin and various sorcerer/wild mage PCs/NPCs. Of course, it's very easy for the player to power him up a little with shadowkeeper if they feel the need. The Robe of the Evil Archmagi is not very powerful, so I'd just let him have it, and I'd go with his BG1 stats since they're consistent with the kit requirements and are actually slightly more favourable due to higher STR.
    dockaboomskiJuliusBorisov
    nimbus said:

I like the idea of Monty being Xzar's bird companion/familiar. He could still chime in for interjections, banters etc. You would have to explain why no one tries to turn him back, though... perhaps he perversely enjoys being a bird? Alternatively you could have a sidequest or two where Xzar ineptly tries to turn him back, perhaps resulting in him becoming a lizard or something. I think having Xzar+Monty both as NPCs is a bit restrictive for the player as it requires two slots, plus it means you have to work twice as hard if you want to compete with other mods/NPCs in terms of value per party slot.

As far as powerlevel goes, Necromancer is a pretty weak mage kit, and he obviously isn't going to compete with the likes of Edwin and various sorcerer/wild mage PCs/NPCs. Of course, it's very easy for the player to power him up a little with shadowkeeper if they feel the need. The Robe of the Evil Archmagi is not very powerful, so I'd just let him have it, and I'd go with his BG1 stats since they're consistent with the kit requirements and are actually slightly more favourable due to higher STR.

This is great. I needed this kind of feedback; thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 6

This is great. I needed this kind of feedback; thanks.

No probs. Good luck with the mod, I am a big fan of Xzar.
    jackjack
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    No, Xzar was supposed to die. The gods wished to destroy him. First they made him mad, then they destroyed him.
    dockaboomski
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Give Xzar 17 Wisdom :)
    dockaboomskiJuliusBorisovlolienDJKajuru
    Shoutout to @lolien for reminding me I thought about this and still haven't done it yet really.
    lolienjackjackJuliusBorisov
    Suffice it to say I was reminded and now I will try to get rolling with it.
    lolienjackjackJuliusBorisovamyae
  • darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    Hey this is the mod I've always wanted. (and i'm too lazy to do it myself) Did you give up? If so has anyone else made a montaron/xzar mod for bg2:ee?
    jackjack
    As far as I know there isn't another one. And unfortunately you're right, I'm not probably going to get this going, with work and school and having to teach myself how to mod.
    Oh wait you're the guy from my other thread. God damn it how can no one have made this mod yet? I really have to do this myself? Alright. I'm doing it.

Alright, here's how it's going down. Instead of Xzar being instantly killed, you're given the option of letting him be killed or defending/joining him. Then after that you're giving the option of storming the Harper compound, slaughtering them all, and saving Montaron. Then after that they stick by your side to the bitter end.

Mods can't be that hard.
    dockaboomskijackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'd play that.
    You shall. On my honor. Give me some time. I started over again as a swashbuckler so I'm at the beginning of BG1. After I finish seige of dragonspear for the first time I'll get to work on the bg2 mod.

Also I have to catch pokemon every day so that eats up some time as well.
    jackjack
    edited September 2016
    I'm having trouble getting into the game again. I just beat Mullahey or whatever his name was. I got part through seige of Dragonspear a few months ago but didn't like my character and wanted to start over. Whenever I get through sod for the first time then I want to work on the BG2 mod. But I keep playing pokemon and I play bg for like an hour every other day so it's gonna be a long time.

edit 9/20:
    I'm starting over again. I don't like Dorn anymore. I just read the part where he killed men women and children to terrorize the country side. ...That's a little too evil. Geez. Plus the new characters talk too much and ruin the tone of BG1 for me. I think they'll be okay in the sequel but I think I have to go back to Kivan for now.
    Post edited by darksaurian on
  • ExistentialExistential Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2018
    I saw this post a while ago and decided to start my own as it doesn't look like anyone has continued it, hope you dont mind!

Here's what i plan to do, It's mostly what has been suggested already plus an Ur-priest dual class theme.

Xzar (and Montaron) NPC Mod for BG2
    STATS: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 10
    Proficiencies: Dagger, Mace, Quarterstaff, Sling, 2handed weapon style, S+S Style
    Dual Classed offscreen to Cleric during SoD at Level 9. Min lvl 9/10
    Alternative non Dual Classed Xzar also available on install (Must DC for dialogue to make sense)

AIMS:
    • Xzar to return in BG2 after his hired illusionist decoy is assassinated, A second bird, the real Montaron is found by the fake Xzars possesions

• Montaron is a usable quick item for Xzar, with various thief abilities.
    Lock Pick (Knock) Twice per Day
    Find Traps (as per Cleric spell) 3 times Per Day
    Poison Attack (Gained through subquest)

• Subquest Involving Montaron returning to his normal form.
    Montaron to regain speech from subquest, interjects on banters with other NPCs.
    Montaron in game sounds effects similar to Lilarcor

• Xzar will have a subquest on learning Ur-preist methods as his dialogue also indicates

• Xzar will have Banters with all Bioware NPCs

• Xzar will have Party conflicts with the following NPCs; Keldorn, Mazzy, Annomen (Lawful Good), Jaheira (avoided if in Romance), Aerie (avoided if in Romance), Viconia (avoided if in Romance)

• Potential Corruption/Friendship with Chaotic Anomen

Post edited by Existential on
    dockaboomskiContemplative_HamsterZaghoulOrlonKronsteen
    @Existential I think I got too ahead of myself suggesting I could do this when I still have next to no modding knowledge so more power to you, I'm super excited that someone has the wherewithal to actually accomplish this. I love the direction you're taking, also! Good luck!
    OrlonKronsteen
    edited April 2018
    Im learning as i go so itll be a while but eventually i should have something for people!

I'll focus on getting banters and fixing the Montaron item first off so there's something playable.
    Gusindadockaboomski
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    There's a Quest Pack component where Xzar has increased involvement you may also wish to take a look at.
    dockaboomskiExistential
    edited April 2018
    @Mantis37 Thanks! Checking it out just now
    I like the ability to double cross the harpers and tell Xzar. I can't seem to complete the mission however, Is Monty permamently missing and Xzar permenently waiting for him to appear from nowhere? Ideally a real Monty bird could then be found and my Xzar would then enter on completion.
    Edit: i read the dialogue file, apparently you find a dead Monty, that's a shame!
    dockaboomski
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Yes! I'd love a dedicated xzr/monty mod for bg2!
    dockaboomskiExistentialOrlonKronsteen

dockaboomskiThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    If anyone has any potential banters for Xzar and a silent Montaron with other NPCs please send them my way!

Montaron will regain speech with the aid of Cespenar in TOB so until then Xzar will be talking on his behalf. I imagine there'll be some quite funny conversation between them and Minsc and Boo!

What are peoples thoughts on the Necromancer / Cleric Dual class? If i create a lower level version for people not playing SoD, should Xzar still be a Necromancer awaiting to dual class, or in the process of dual classing? Originally i was going to make it an option on install if he's dual classed or not. Was also thinking if players wait till ToB to pick him up he could have a higher level in Necromancy.

His terrible constitution also concerns me a wee bit, should i add in a couple of extra points so DUHM gives benefit earlier on?

tbone1dockaboomskiZaghoul
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited April 2018
    I simply wish to point at my username.
    Existentialtbone1
    @Existential I'd say to leave his Con alone. I think if it's easier to make a version of Xzar in the insall that isn't dual-classed then do that.
    ThacoBellZaghoul
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't dualclass ever. So a non-dual classed option would be welcome.
    dockaboomskiZaghoulOrlonKronsteen
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    I can't picture Xzar as a cleric, regardless of his stats.
    ThacoBelldockaboomskiOrlonKronsteen
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    If given the dual class option it might be nice to see a deity other than the usual Cyric. With Ghaunadaur (another madness deity) as his deity it could possibly bring up some ideas for interaction in the Underdark encountering the cult quest. In BGNPC1 Project Xzar is quite taken with slime/jelly experimentation as well, so kinda fits in to the 'why become his cleric idea'.
    Regardless, the idea of running with these two again is sounding mighty interesting. B)
    ExistentialThacoBell