Skip to content

The Thread for Metaaaaal! \m/

Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
edited April 2018 in Off-Topic
@booinyoureyes @ThacoBell @bob_veng , and @ everyone else

springing from this discussion, this thread is dedicated to sharing and enjoying Metaaaaal! \m/

Here, we share and enjoy every kind of metal (except possibly rap metal, which is an Abomination)

I will go first:

Dream Evil, The Book of Heavy Metal (2004)
(a Swedish band)

It does NOT get any more metal than this - and ironically, self-referencingly so. Turn up your speakers and give it a go.

Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
KamigoroshiFinneousPJStummvonBordwehrThacoBellbooinyoureyesOrlonKronsteengugulug5000[Deleted User]Grammarsaladhaiduk

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited April 2018
    An on topic thread for this forum I dare say ;)

Here is a Danish act, with a song that fits the bill:

Link to song:

FinneousPJContemplative_HamsterGrammarsalad
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    @FinneousPJ , post a Finnish band. I can't decide between so many excellent bands. Turisas? Ensiferum? Finntroll? Korpiklaani? Wintersun? Children of Bodum? Nightwish? The list goes on.
    FinneousPJSkatan
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Saw Primordial again last night. Great show as always.

Contemplative_HamsterFinneousPJ
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I last went to Wacken.

FinneousPJbooinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    New vid from Behemoth

StummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    In defiance of your no rap metal rule, I give you Anthrax's I'm the Man (it's a funny song, enjoy):

I think Anthrax is the only band that does rap metal that I can tolerate. Great thread, I can never get enough metal.
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *basks in the metal glow*
    FinneousPJ
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Contemplative_Hamster Helloween, Dream Evil, seems like we have very similar taste! Hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice!

One of my favorite ever songs

Contemplative_HamsterFinneousPJ[Deleted User]
    edited April 2018
    @Contemplative_Hamster Haha I love Alestorm but I wouldn't call that raising the stakes from Behemoth ;)

EDIT: Finnish language special

Someone even made English lyrics for this it seems

Post edited by FinneousPJ on
    StummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

FinneousPJStummvonBordwehrThacoBell[Deleted User]
    Damn I forgot how amazing this album is. Wow it's been 4 years.

Best video

Best song

This one has a section in Polish which is cool

@ThacoBell Given what I know about you I would love your opinion on Behemoth.

@ThacoBell Given what I know about you I would love your opinion on Behemoth.

I don't have one :) Though now you have me curious to check them out.
    FinneousPJ

@Contemplative_Hamster Helloween, Dream Evil, seems like we have very similar taste! Hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice!

Hamsters and Hamsters everywhere, I think you meant.

One of my favorite ever songs

Here's Minniva's cover:

And here's her cover of Helloween's I Want Out.

Not bad.
    FinneousPJbooinyoureyessmeagolheart
    edited April 2018
    @Contemplative_Hamster Yeah, not bad. I tend not to like female vocalists in power metal. They usually lack... power. I think Minniva suffers from this as well. My favourite female power metal vocalist comes from Japan. The intro to this song is very impressive :D

I only listened to the Helloween cover though as I'm not that familiar with Kamelot.
    smeagolheart[Deleted User]

EDIT: Finnish language special

Finland has a special place in my heart and my family history in several ways, but damn, Finnish is challenging.
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2018

Been fascinated by this band ever since I first saw Heilung live. Kind of like a bona fide historical take on Iron Age/Folk/Viking Metal.
    FinneousPJOrlonKronsteenDev6[Deleted User]

Been fascinated by this band ever since I first saw Heilung live. Kind of like a bona fide historical take on Iron Age/Folk/Viking Metal.

what what what is this i dont even
    FinneousPJ
    edited April 2018
    @FinneousPJ Checked out the Behemoth video above, and I am typically a little lower on the metal spectrum than that. I love the guitar work, but the vocals can be hit or miss for me with that genre. I do admit that putting a lot of religious icnonography or symbolism makes me feel slightly uneasy.

That japanese link was great.
    Contemplative_HamsterFinneousPJ
    ThacoBell said:

@FinneousPJ Checked out the Behemoth video above, and I am typically a little lower on the metal spectrum than that. I love the guitar work, but the vocals can be hit or miss for me with that genre. I do admit that putting a lot of religious icnonography or symbolism makes me feel slightly uneasy.

From what I've seen, I think Behemoth seem to take themselves a little too seriously, and while there is musical competence, there seems to be little joy. I like bands that do not take themselves seriously, in the sense that they can put an ironic distance between themselves and their topics, and then add a few that do take themselves seriously, like Amon Amarth, but whose topics are still ridiculous in themselves (Vikings!)
    ThacoBell
    @Squire You must be joking. There is no Tarja vs Anette debate. Tanja vs Floor Yes...
    smeagolheart
    ThacoBell said:

That japanese link was great.

@ThacoBell Not that their musicianship isn't amazing the religious stuff was what I was referring to. I guess you didn't check out the lyrics. It's chock full of biblical stuff. They must be my favourite death metal band regardless of lyrical implications though.

ThacoBell said:

From what I've seen, I think Behemoth seem to take themselves a little too seriously, and while there is musical competence, there seems to be little joy. I like bands that do not take themselves seriously, in the sense that they can put an ironic distance between themselves and their topics, and then add a few that do take themselves seriously, like Amon Amarth, but whose topics are still ridiculous in themselves (Vikings!)
    I don't disagree but I do think it's all part of the act. They just take their act further than most bands.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

I tend not to like female vocalists in power metal. They usually lack... power. I think Minniva suffers from this as well. My favourite female power metal vocalist comes from Japan. The intro to this song is very impressive :D

Eh, that doesn't seem to sound any more powerful, does it?
    That's my general problem with metal too, btw, it either lacks in melody or in power.

Some Sabaton here

Dev6[Deleted User]
    @FinneousPJ Its just a quirk of mine.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    @FinneousPJ to be fair, this was mostly before Floor joined them (I actually remember buying a ticket to see them, and getting a voicemail telling me that Annette won't be performing with them and Floor would be filling in instead... then everyone was all "please keep her!" so they did XD ). But before that, just about every Nightwish video ever posted on Youtube would be full of "Annette sucks! Bring Tarja back!" discussions.

I actually feel sorry for Annette, though. She had some difficult shoes to fill, and she got a lot of hate, when her only offence was not being Tarja. Most fans seem to have accepted Floor as leading lady, though, so the debate can finally be put to rest. ;)