Skip to content

Underdeveloped Storylines: Which Sidequest do You Think Deserved More Love?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
There are several fascinating minor characters and sidequests in these games. I often wish some of the really minor quests received more love from the creators.

For example, the fallen paladins in the Bridge District really piqued my interest. It seemed like the second in command, Reynald de Chatillon, really regretted falling out of favor with his god and the Order. The regret he had for breaking his vows was clear from the dialogue, and I wish the quest was more in depth so that you could actually infiltrate them and learn about their motivations rather than just kill them. There was potential for a redemption storyline, or an alternative outcome where you could let them go.

I wish it got the same amount of love as the Mae'Var quest.

How about you guys?
RavenslightThacoBellBalrog99StummvonBordwehrZaghoulEnialusMeliamnemashedtatersdeltagoGrond0NotabarbiegirlMontresor_SP[Deleted User]lolienBladeDancerNonnahswriterGrum

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I wish Dili was a joinable party member. Because she's cute and could probably turn into a mind flayer if she wanted.
    booinyoureyestbone1lolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @booinyoureyes While the larger outcome is the same, it is possibel to end the quest without having to kill Reynald de Chatillon.

booinyoureyeslolien
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    ThacoBell said:

@booinyoureyes While the larger outcome is the same, it is possibel to end the quest without having to kill Reynald de Chatillon.

@ThacoBell how?????
    ThacoBelllolien

TOR GAL.
    No proper resolution and no answered questions.

This one for sure. The Nalia Romance Mod adds some closure there, but I wish it was more developed.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Honestly, the strongholds in general could stood to have had more meat on them. Some were better than others but most of them were just kind of there once you acquired them.
    mashedtatersNotabarbiegirlMontresor_SP
  • LudovikHLudovikH Member Posts: 46
    Many of the above mentioned examples are subjects to mods already:
    • Unfinished Business for BG1 and BG2 (two nods) covers a lot of them.
    • Return to Brynlnaw and Tiax NPC deal with the people in the asylum
    • DeArnise Romance covers Torgal and extends the stronghold. Nalia needs to be in party when you defeat Tor Gal to get that part.
    • Centeol is treated by BG1NPCs and Sandrah Saga.
    • Sandrah also covers Ender Sai if you have Imoen in the Party.
    • There are a couple of stronghold mods extending Planar Sphere and Thieves, I think there is also one for rangers or druids but I am not sure,
    booinyoureyesNotabarbiegirl
    jastey said:

Slavers / Hendak plotline: bring some of the nobles watching the fights to justice.

Oh man... this is a lifelong dream of mine.
    Notabarbiegirl
    jastey said:

Slavers / Hendak plotline: bring some of the nobles watching the fights to justice. (It is realistic though that these bastards aren't known at all and get no punishment - but it's a fantasy game so I'd wish my PC could clear out this pit a litlle...)

And yes, Reynald de Chantillon and the fallen paladins. A shame berelinde didn't finish her Reynald de Chantillon NPC mod.

Also, the Black Lotus incident at the city gates. I don't expect a huge quest but it always vexed me that my PC couldn't even talk to the guard about it.

The slavers get a lot of treatment. I remember in Amber mod, Arath mod, Sandrah mod, one of the large tweak mods adding them to the enclave in temple district.
    Fishing for Trouble deals with the Black Lotus.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    LudovikH said:

jastey said:

The slavers get a lot of treatment. I remember in Amber mod, Arath mod, Sandrah mod, one of the large tweak mods adding them to the enclave in temple district.

The slavers or the watching nobles?

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Quest Pack extends Reynald's content.

I wish the Strongholds had an extra layer in ToB. High level play should be more about that kind of stuff than bashing high level mooks...
    booinyoureyes
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The thief stronghold really deserves some love.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersMontresor_SP
    edited April 2018
    jastey said:

LudovikH said:

jastey said:

The slavers or the watching nobles?

It refers to the slavers.
    The nobles always escape in anonymity, they get some verbal treatment from some NPCs but I don't remember any punishment. in a way that fits to the way Athkatla is as a corrupt city. The only noble who ever is brought to justice in connection with slavery is Roenall during the Nalia quests. This is from those mods that I played, which are many but most likely not all.
    Maybe a problem with the nobles is that everyone would get hostile if you attack one of them?
    Notabarbiegirl
    @booinyoureyes

When you bring the chalice back and meet with the leader of the fallen paladins, you can tell him that you aren't interested in joining. At this point the leader attacks you for knowing too much and Reynold is so disgusted at his superior for being so belligerent that he just leaves before the fight starts.
    booinyoureyesStummvonBordwehrNotabarbiegirllolien
    Raduziel said:

Did you try Expanded Thief Stronghold mod?
    It brings Black Lily and Narlen from BG1 to the docks and some more quests for the stronghold. Lily also buys fenced stuff and you get some extra income from more thieves working for you.
    ThacoBellRaduzielMontresor_SP
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Laurel the paladin (BG1) - she says she'll see you again later, but never does! Always drove me crazy.

That guy Hafiz who describes his dream to you - Never explained.

Having said this, though, to some extent, I like the fact that some things are left "unresolved" - it gives you room to use your own imagination.
    ThacoBellbooinyoureyesMontresor_SP
    LudovikH said:

Raduziel said:

It brings Black Lily and Narlen from BG1 to the docks and some more quests for the stronghold. Lily also buys fenced stuff and you get some extra income from more thieves working for you.
    Turns out thats not fully compatible with 2.x. Apparently its a dice roll if certain important npcs spawn in or even if quests will work right.
    lolien
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The guarded compound in the temple district of Athkatla (although I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there's a mod which develops it).
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrMontresor_SP
    The guared compound was going to be part of the slavers stuff. The Versus Books strategy guide even called that encounter the "Slave Lords".
    booinyoureyesStummvonBordwehr
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669

Oh, and with Romantic Encounters you can have sex with him (which isn't saying much because with the RE mod, you can have sex with just about anybody, it's all you do)

Sorry for the OT but with the BG1RE there are also several bitter/sweet quests with absolutely no sex involved. Just sayin'.

Notabarbiegirl
    ThacoBell said:

The guared compound was going to be part of the slavers stuff. The Versus Books strategy guide even called that encounter the "Slave Lords".

The compound and its relation to the slavers, especially Captain what-his-name in the Slum ship, appears in a number of mods, although I cannot put my finger on which mod adds what. At least they are done in a way that they are all compatible.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    jastey said:

Oh, and with Romantic Encounters you can have sex with him (which isn't saying much because with the RE mod, you can have sex with just about anybody, it's all you do)

Sorry for the OT but with the BG1RE there are also several bitter/sweet quests with absolutely no sex involved. Just sayin'.

You're right, didn't mean to diss the mod, it's very mixed. :)

But my Charname does feel a bit knackered after a while, there should be a dialog option,

"Here Vicky, reckon you can take on this one for me, I could do with a break".
    semiticgoddessbooinyoureyesNotabarbiegirllolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    LudovikH said:

Raduziel said:

I gave it a try, but even with this mod, I kept the feeling that the Thief Stronghold is way below all the other strongholds.
    Raduziel said:

LudovikH said:

Raduziel said:

I gave it a try, but even with this mod, I kept the feeling that the Thief Stronghold is way below all the other strongholds.
    It has those running quests for your thieves, like you can try to give them other tasks and they get caught and you break them out of jail and so forth. It's not over after the scripted events but a task of running a guild actively.