Skip to content

[MOD] -Will to Power- a 2E-inspired psionics system for the Infinity Engine

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I also agree with Halcyon that Psychic Blade should be a devotion rather than a science. It feels weird that Soulblades don't get their actual soulblade until level 7.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HalcyonHalcyon Member Posts: 56
    I think Psyblase as-is, perhaps without the prof. bonuses, is adequate as a Devotion. If I'm trying to decide what weapon to use, the amount of hp it drains from my character is going to be a serious factor. Six or ten hp is gonna factor into that.

An upgraded repulsion makes more sense to me, since the power sets seem to progress (generally) from single targets to mass effects anyway. Rather like moving from a single plane of force mimicing a concept tge psychic is already familiar with (a blade) to projecting abstract force across an entire area (moving from mimicing the real to creating their own version).
  • DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 76
    Hey I have a completely different question - Would psionicist cleric/thief kits, ranger kits or paladin/champion kits be system/gamebreaking or are they off the table at the moment because of balancing issues?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited April 2018
    no, it's great. that's how it should work imo

it should come down to finding a workaround for the ensuing imbalance, not thematically gimping the class
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A visual range extension would not work from around corners or through walls, and the Farsight opcode unfortunately can only work for the player. I think the only way to prevent this from happening is for the targeted critter in question to have a script that makes them chase after their attackers, like whichever IWD script makes everything on the map chase after invisible characters.
    edited April 2018
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    From a mechanical view point, off-screen obliteration is quite cheesy, especially because enemies can't fight back.

On the other hand, if you're just chilling in a dungeon and suddenly one of you bursts into flame, I think the best you could do is probably search your immediate area and remain on high alert until your comrades have stopped spontaneously igniting.
    edited April 2018
    The Project Image idea sounds like a much better implementation of the original idea, actually xD

Speaking of psychics with lazer swords; what was the final determination re: Psychic Blade's progression powers?

As for insightful strike vs object reading, I feel like object Reading makes more sens as the default power; on a rogue type insightful strike is pretty much always going to be useful.

You mentioned a Psi-amulet, does this mean a psionic template is going to use the necklace item slot?

In any case, -very- excited to see this coming together and close to the final result.
    edited April 2018
    I think a quickslot makes the most sense thematiclly and balance wise. Right now all the abilities are compared among the base classes, but throwing a permanent item slot into the mix is major handi-cap that also kinda reduces the sense of reward from treasure (one of the big downsides of the monk in my experience). Standard D&D is so gear dependant anythiing that makes a slot permanenty inaccessible is fun tax as well as a power tax. A quickslot isn't a problem since you can mix and mat h items w/o issue. Making it undroppable (like Boo is for Minsc) seems easy enough.

Given the insta-cast abilities of Powers, maybe Contingency was never that necessary in the 1st place. As another (and far easier to implement option... I think) you could have a 2nd Chance power that snaps a characters back to a critically wounded version of themselves on hp or insta-kill death. Representing not resurrection, but plucking a slightly different dimensional you to take your place right before death (an Anti-Rick Power, if you're familiar with the R&M) Maybe impossible to implement, not sure how much "time" there is to create an effect between moment of death and the game over screen.

For balance, if you gotta sacrifice 20 hp to get the effect and it returns you with only 1 hp or so that... maybe balanced? Doesn't stop a clear disadvantage but does keep player death due to bad mistakes less likely xD
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited April 2018

Problem is, long-standing engine bugs prevent adding an undroppable item to a quickslot.

You can partially get around this if you give the item multiple abilities. The icon will not update (or show anything if it was empty), but you can still "Right-click" it to switch abilities, which then properly "equips" that ability for future use.

* Weapons would require multiple weapon-slot abilities, extra item-slot abilities on a weapon won't help.
    * Quick-items would just need multiple abilities (such as Wand of Fire, without the ID-requirement).
  • kaiiakkaiiak Member Posts: 20
    @subtledoctor , I have downloaded the Alpha mod (from github, I assume this is the latest version?) and installed on my 2.3 game. I could choose the powers , but cannot find a way to cast them (is there suppose to be an item added , or are they abilities ).
    Also , not sure if this is a bug related to me , but I once I have chosen the powers , and rest , I get a new set of abilities to choose from (again). cant find a way to cast any of them. do I need to update to 2.5 to be able to cast the powers ?
    @subtledoctor , got it . thanks for the quick response . Awesome job bringing Psionic to infinity engine , cant wait to play the released mod.
    @subtledoctor, now that 2.5 is out, should we try to install the mod from the github link?