Skip to content

Possible bug with Osmadi

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
My game crashes every time I try to fight Osmadi in Larswood. I prepare my party with a lot of protective spells, go for it, and at some point in the middle of the fight the game crashes. It's happened three times already. I noticed that during the fight Osmadi only takes Cold damage from my Ice arrows, but not from other projectiles, which seems weird.

I'm running version 1.3.2053, which I think is the most current patch. I installed Sword Coast Stratagems with most options disabled a few days ago. It's the only mod I have, and the only mod I've ever used with this game. Should I report this as a bug in BGEE, or as a bug in SCS, or just ignore it (after all it doesn't affect the game much)...?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well I defeated Osmadi earlier today, and it all worked normally - normal damage, no crash, no problems. That's in an unmodded game, so maybe your problem is something to do with SCS.

On the other hand, whenever a crash is involved, it's worth considering whether it's your system that is glitching rather than a bug in the game. What platform are you on? Have you tried cold-booting your machine and then replaying the fight to see if the same problem still happens?
    ThacoBell
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    I had this same issue on my current SCS run. The only way to avoid the crash was to kill him before he casted his summon spell I believe.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I can confirm the bug with BG crashing in the fight with Osmadi. The bug was there in Tutu and now too with the Enhanced Edition. I always use SCS, so it might be SCS related, as the above posters mention SCS too. I reload and kill him quick before he gets a spell off, that's my workaround.
    Aerakar
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm, well, a pattern is developing: the only people confirming this problem are all using SCS, and I've never had this issue in the unmodded game ... so "you do the math", as they say.

@Alonso - I suggest that you ought to refer this bug to the SCS devs, I reckon it's not a BGee issue.
    ThacoBell
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited November 2015
    OK, I posted the bug report in the SCS forum: www.gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=239779. I'm a bit surprised no one had reported it yet.

Right now I don't seem to be able to kill Osmadi quickly enough, so I guess I'll come back when I have bigger guns.
    Post edited by Alonso on
    JuliusBorisovGallowglassAerakar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Linkamus said:

I had this same issue on my current SCS run. The only way to avoid the crash was to kill him before he casted his summon spell I believe.

Sounds like the spell he is casting in SCS is bugged. In non-SCS all he casts (at least as far as summoning spells are concerned) is Animal Summoning I.
    Aerakar
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    bugged for me too.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Arthas - Are you using SCS?
    I've seen this too with SCS. Based on others' reports, perhaps SCS' edits to Animal Summoning spells are bugged. Unfortunately, I don't have an SCS install handy (trying out vanilla 2.3.67 beta on OSX).

Moving the files below out of the override temporarily should restore Animal Summoning I to vanilla behavior.

SPPR402.SPL
    SPANIM1.EFF
    ANISUM01.2DA

If that fixes the crash, then it definitely points to a mod issue with Animal Summoning.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    This has happened to me for a long time also with a 1.3 SCS install (and before 1.3 as well). I do the same as others and kill him fast. IIRC, he casts insect plague or some similar spell and this crashes the game. When I take him out before he casts, there is no crash.
    Unfortunately my report didn't receive attention from the developer of SCS :(
    he is mia, so you can't blame davidW
    Not blaming, just informing. Is he allright?
    Yes. DavidW is just incredibly busy IRL.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited June 2016
    I have had this bug for years. I can confirm that it only happens in SCS. In my experience the problem is not caused by the spells that he is casting. It has to do with the other druid. When the other druid attacks Osmadi it crashes the game.

Cast a web spell at their general location while they are still covered by the "fog of war" Chances are that it will web the other druid so he cannot attack Osmadi and that will allow you to kill him without problem. If it doesn't work then just reload a few times and it will eventually web the other druid so that the game doesn't crash.

This bug and the chess board bug in Durlog's tower have been around for years and will probably never be fixed unless someone else starts to work on it.
    AerakarFinnTheHuman
    anyway, SCS is not advised, especially for BG2. I don't know what happened, but I Didn't remember SCS v2.8 to be this bugged.

Check the last post of this thread for further info on why you should avoid SCS for now..

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/560248-the-adventurers-lounge-guidance-and-support-for-no-reload-challengers-newbie-or-veteran/
    I beat BG2EE v1.3 with SCS v30 and I didn't have a single problem the entire game. The two problems I mentioned above are the only two problems I have ever had in the original Baldur's Gate on any version of the game for the last 5 years. Well, some of the summons that mages can cast don't work correctly in BG2 so I guess it's not completely bug free but the game is stable enough in my opinion, considering how much it improves the challenge and overall AI. I would recommend it to anyone.

Of course if someone with mod skills could squash the handful of bugs still present in the trilogy that would be great. I would think that some of the information for the weapon that the druid is using is probably the source of the problem and it causes a crash when it hits Osmadi. The chess board bug is apparently caused from one of the boss enemies not being killed with fire but I have tested this and the bug occurs regardless of how you kill her. I think the source of the bug is unknown and that is why it was never fixed.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    I have had the same experience as @the_sextein and only these same bugs with SCS v30.
    honestly I had a weird bug with the SCS bandit camp too. The alarm would be used but many of the people would just stay still inside the camp instead of swarming me. They weren't many (around 10 - 20 ) but still a certain amount. I even thought it could be an issue related to the fact that I didn't use better calls for help.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Arthas said:

anyway, SCS is not advised, especially for BG2. I don't know what happened, but I Didn't remember SCS v2.8 to be this bugged.

Check the last post of this thread for further info on why you should avoid SCS for now..

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/560248-the-adventurers-lounge-guidance-and-support-for-no-reload-challengers-newbie-or-veteran/

I'm pretty sure any no-reload veteran from the bioware forum will tell you SCS is more than adviced ( @Alesia_BH , @Serg_BlackStrider , @Grond0 , @Blackraven , the list can go on and on).

I've been playing it for the last 5 years (including the most recent months after all the updates) and can't recommend it enough for everyone who's familiar with the game.

Yes, there're minor bugs, but they can be fixed with the console. I didn't see any bugs with the SCS bandit camp.
    Aerakar
    I just beat the bandit camp two days ago with SCS on insane using SCSv30 and Baldur's Gate EE v2.3 and I didn't notice anything odd. Of course most of the enemies were just standing around because I gave them a double dose of web before laying down many fire balls and a bunch of magical arrows.

All of the enemies in the camp were dead in the end so they must have all run over to where I was as intended. I did find 4 hobgoblins outside of the northern most hut but I figured they were probably out of range given the route I used to ambush the camp. The enemies inside the cave were still in the cave as they should be. Everything seemed good to go to me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but was a workaround or a solution to this problem ever found?
    Yes, the problem is the spear SCS gives Osmadi. It'll be fixed in the upcoming SCS v31.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=251201
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
    Thanks.
  • GrunkerGrunker Member Posts: 46

Yes, the problem is the spear SCS gives Osmadi. It'll be fixed in the upcoming SCS v31.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=251201

I realize I'm necroing here, but I'm playing this with the most recent SCS-version more than a year later still having the problem. How did you fix it? Can you edit the spear somehow in EE Keeper?
    edited April 2018
    @Grunker I just EEkeeper it to an undroppable spear +2. I know next to nothing about modding processes, so I don't know if just removing the backbiter entirely would do anything.

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2018
    [SCS v31] Despite what the ReadMe states, this bug hasn't been fixed yet :( (and it's so annoying....)

@AstroBryGuy Can you confirm that, in order to fix this issue, is sufficient to substitute SPER03 with another weapon using NI?
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I can confirm that replacing the Backbiter with anything else (or merely removing it) solves the issue.
    Aerakar