Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited April 2018
    Xazutha's sibling was killed by Zordral. Will try with yet another sibling shortly. Discovered why I am having so much difficulty, the amount of experience gained has dropped. Probably due to a mod. :( In Candlekeep he was badly hurt due to the better weapons I provided for the assassins. However, he survived those skirmishes to tell the tale. Another sibling, Yazutha by name then started out and reached the site of Gorion's death without injury. :)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrussnorway
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Grond0
    Doing a War Hulk run too? It'll steamroll BG1 but you'll have to be careful in SoD against enemy hordes. The true test of patience begins in BG2 against mages that love to cast Stoneskin. You'll probably have to tank most of their spellbook before you can finally kill them with direct damage or land a Deathblow critical. Weapons with elemental damage should help a bit.

I'll be interested to see how you handle the Ascension boss fight. I tried it a few times after failing with Krieg. The demons that Melissan gates in (mainly the Mariliths) eventually become overwhelming as they constantly teleport to your position, severely impairing your mobility even with double-strength Haste as you wait for your next attack to come.
    semiticgoddessWise_Grimwald
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's going to be rough without throwing weapons. @Flashburn had strong success in using throwing axes and throwing daggers to remove Stoneskins, since ranged attacks don't trigger the spell that sets a War Hulk's APR to 1. Improved Haste effects should let you achieve 4 APR using throwing daggers.

I don't think the run is realistic without using throwing weapons, but then, I didn't think it was realistic with them, either, until @Flashburn beat the majority of the saga with a solo War Hulk.
    Wise_GrimwaldFlashburn
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    introducing Puk the Sharman... no mods, insane level

AerakarStummvonBordwehrEnuhalWise_Grimwald
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: I'm guessing that the War Hulk in your install is the only mod-introduced fighter kit, and I'm guessing that you have separate installs for BG1 and BG2 (no EET). I think this means that, in BG1, the War Hulk would be the 5th (or maybe 6th, counting the Barbarian). However, BG2 also has the Grizzly Bear kit, and since that came before the mod-introduced War Hulk kit, it's also coded as the 5th fighter kit.

Or maybe the War Hulk is the only mod-introduced kit of any kind in your BG1 install, so it's coded as the 51st kit or whatever. This would put it at the bottom of every kit-based .2da table. But in BG2, the Grizzly Bear would be the 51st, and the War Hulk is the 52nd. Thus, when you import the character into BG2, the character is listed as having the 51st kit, which in BG2 is the Grizzly Bear kit instead of War Hulk.

In the past, I've completely re-created characters that encountered this problem, but I think you can fix it just by switching the kit via EEKeeper.
    NeverusedGrond0Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Diary of Yazutha
    We proceeded into the Nashkel mines and defeated the Dark Horizon assassins before leaving to sell and buy the necklace of missiles. A fleeing thief drew us into combat with more kobolds than intended, but we didn't have a major problem with them. These battles ended up with us getting better armour. We will ask Aerie to identify our other aquisitions.
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrGrond0ussnorway
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Grond0 said:

I initially tried to import Burl to BG2EE as an exported character, but the game classed him as a Grizzly Bear. While that had some attraction I decided to start again and do the import from a saved game this time - but the same thing happened. The War Hulk class could correctly be chosen for a newly generated character, but wasn't carrying over for Burl. Any ideas @semiticgod, or should I reconstitute the character by using the console or EEKeeper?

This happened to me too when I exported over to BG2EE. All you have to do is open EEKeeper and change the kit to War Hulk and that should fix it.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Thanks @Flashburn and @semiticgod - I'll do that tomorrow.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited April 2018
    Burl {3} - solo War Hulk (update 4)
    Previous updates:

Importing Burl into BG2 saw him arrive as a Grizzly Bear rather than a War Hulk. I used EEKeeper to change the kit, but that change didn't sort things out immediately. The War Hulk kit was now active, but the abilities and restrictions of the Grizzly Bear were also being applied, e.g. Burl couldn't use any armor or wear a helmet. However, he ploughed onwards regardless in the hope that the changes would get resolved when he gained a level.

He used a +1 dagger in the dungeon - even though non-proficient, the higher speed factor meant he took less damage that way. Horror sorted out the more dangerous opponents, such as the mephits in the elemental plane and he cleared everything in the dungeon.
    He had access to the Grizzly Bear's animal rage, but didn't try and use that.

The inability of the bear to wear things like rings, necklaces and belts handicapped Burl's carrying capacity a bit, but he still invested a couple of thousand on temple donations on exit. At the circus I was aware of the danger of allowing the illusionary werewolves to hit (potentially triggering a rage spiral), so kept away from them as much as possible while going to deal with Kalah.

That still left Burl about 40k XP short of a level as he headed for the Copper Coronet. He worked through the guards there easily enough - the Beastmaster finding himself horrified to be shut in a cage with a wild animal (and the leopard wasn't too happy about it either :#).
    Releasing a couple of child prisoners allowed Burl to level up, but unfortunately that still didn't fix the kit.

I experimented further with changing kits and classes through EEKeeper, but without being able to get rid of the Grizzly Bear restrictions and abilities. Any further thoughts on that @semiticgod or @flashburn?

Edit: I decided to just recreate the character and then use MP to insert it into the saved game. He's hopefully ready now to start making some proper progress.

Edit 2: or perhaps not. The kit is not now restricting attacks to 1 APR. I'm feeling minded to call a halt to this run now as there's far too much reloading and mucking about with it for my taste.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    ussnorwayStummvonBordwehrEnuhalWise_Grimwald