Skip to content

Portraits for your Game - Will Update w/date when more added! - 1/13/2020 UPDATE

blinkdogblinkdog Member Posts: 32
edited January 2020 in Fan Creations
**Sorry for the semi-inconsistent style, one day I'll go back through and put them through the same 'treatment' as the newer versions!**

So I mentioned a while back I was making some custom portraits -- I've made a handful, and figured I'd share what I have, full image and sized images. All will be linked in the spoiler below!

As far as my process, I matte paint these images together, so it's a collection of other people's resources and my own artistic skills. Therefore, they're free to use and do with as you please, and I hope you enjoy them! Most of them have their own personal names (as i've used them for specific characters in my own games) but you can obviously rename them whatever way you want to fit you way of organizing portraits!

I'm also a bit of an elf lover, so if there's an abundance of elves, I acknowledge that but will not apologize, haha. I do intend to make more human / dwarvish looking characters however.

Pack Example:

4-19-2018 : There are 7 Portraits, 6 Unique Characters!
Please Enjoy!
4-27-2018 : One additional character added, elven female character w/warpaint.
4-30-2018 : Two additional characters added, human female character in heavy furs, human female in snow and chestplate, + One extra portrait of existing char
5-2-2018 : One additional character added, elven female in leathers. Two alternate versions of a previous char.

2-7-2019 : Deleted some of the older portraits and have added several new portraits - still inconsistent style between older and newer portraits, sorry! A few examples of some of the portraits above, happy gaming!

2-13-19 : redid some of the older portraits so they fit BG1 better.

4-25-19 : Added human male portrait

4-28-19 : Added female portrait

1-8-20: Added female elf portrait

1-13-20 Added female human portrait
Post edited by blinkdog on
AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovdeltagoSanctiferThacoBellGusindaashafetovlolienIamdorfSkatanRogueBardAerakarRaduziels0ulafeinrufus_hobartSmoke_JaguartaclaneDJKajurutl1942

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Great pics! Awesome work!

For ease of downloading, could you post a .zip archive?
    JuliusBorisov
  • blinkdogblinkdog Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2018
    yep, lemme get to work on that real quick!

Edit:
    Files are now available in zip format! Enjoy!
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • Smoke_JaguarSmoke_Jaguar Member Posts: 24
    these are great! hope you make more!
    @Smoke_Jaguar Thank you so much! I definitely plan on it, especially making more men. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see more of in the pack?
    Smoke_Jaguar
    @blinkdog moar brown female elves! B)
    @Smoke_Jaguar I agree! That's definitely a good choice, thank you for the input!
  • Lazlo_ArcadiaLazlo_Arcadia Member Posts: 73
    These look really good, i'm trying to figure out how to do this even now. Needless to say it was not quite as simple as I'd initially thought.
    So I'm definitely doing something wrong. I've changed the naming convention of my images to be less than 8 characters, and i'm also edited them to be a .BMP file of 210x330 pixels as the onscreen instructions tell me to. However I still cant see my pics, nor the ones in you zip file either (which I extracted into the portraits folder of course).
    @Lazlo_Arcadia Hmm... That's strange because they run fine in my game. Let me take a closer look. I'll unzip my pack and place it directly in my current portrait folder and see if something's wrong.
    @Lazlo_Arcadia Alright well, I removed my own personal portrait pack and unzipped this one and loaded up a fresh game and all my portraits loaded up with no issue... It has to be an issue on your end, but I'd like to help if at all possible. Are you changing the BMP depth? It needs to be saved at 24 -- if you change that, I seem to recall having issues.
    Yeah, one of the issues I found was if there are too many images they tend to bug out and BG cant handle them. The other thing I tried was adding S, M, or L to the end of the naming convention and that seemed to allow them to recognize (especially when I reduced the number of images down to under 50). Still buggy as hell for what will / wont display however, and I've no idea why.
    edited May 2018
    @Lazlo_Arcadia Well I don't have a ton of portraits so I can't speak for that, and you're supposed to have L, M, and S respectively at the end of images with the correct naming format, ie., 1aL, 1aM, 1aS. As for why it won't display, I can't think of anything else other than is your portraits folder, named Portraits, in your My Documents baldur's gate folder as opposed to your steam version's folder?
    Actually I have a portrait folder in both locations, since i could not figure out what was supposed to do what I just mirrored the two folders so the contents are identical. Seemed to take out a lot of the guess work.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Lazlo_Arcadia, I was having problems earlier with the naming convention. A mixed use of caps and lowercase upset the cookie cart, so I standardised the method. Well, I actually have two naming standards for each of the custom images I use. One for Vanilla UI and one for the Lefreut-UI mod which allows for separation of Male and Female based on the name of the files.

Here is what I use for Vanilla UI:
    - Naming convention = xxxxxxxM.bmp (up to 7 characters, all lowercase, for the name with either a capital M or L at the end for Medium or Large)
    - Must be 24b BMP
    - Image size:
    L = 420 x 660
    M = 210 x 330
    S = 169 x 266 (I don't use S any more)
    (Lefreut-UI uses the same images but a different name (eg: f#xxxxxM.bmp for female medium)).

For me, the custom images always go into (meaning I don't use the portraits folder hanging off the game folder):
    ..\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits (for BG:EE obviously)

I always have both L and M file even if they are the same image. No reason other than keeping the standard...

To make things more difficult (or easy depending on the way you look at it), you can put them into the override folder and use the M_PORT.lua as discussed here, which by the way works perfectly and separates characters by sex, but I prefer to keep the custom images in the 'portraits' folder so they don't get lost.

If you are still having difficulties, I can attach a pair of portraits that I know work for me and you can try with them just to make sure you are setting the right image bit (24b) size and type, as well as naming convention (which are the two most common errors).

Gus

JuliusBorisovblinkdoglolienSkatan
    New update -- hasn't been one for a while so I figured I would comment on the update, cheers!
    -blink
    SkatanGusindaAerakar
    edited April 2019
    New Male Human rogue / fighter char update!
    EDIT: New female char!
    JuliusBorisov
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    wow, beautifully done, brilliant work. well done, and thank you!
    JuliusBorisov
    @rufus_hobart Thank you so much! I appreciate it immensely! Cheers~
    JuliusBorisov
    love em, hope to see more
    blinkdogJuliusBorisov
    @Smoke_Jaguar thank you! I hope to make some soon, always could use more elves haha.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    Some pictures look like they were originaly showing Hannah John Kamen from Killjoys.
    I love that show and your work.
    Anyway, thank you for the cool pics. =)
    @Timbo0o0o0 hahah i've never used her face before, but I'm glad you enjoy the portraits! Cheers~
    edited January 2020
    Sneak peak of a double npc mod to come!
    38cop3bo0l4f.png
    kzhp8oy2fjyf.png
    hqi6h3am8qcv.png

Two of my friends and I that are long time Baldur's Gate fans are working to bring a new mod to beta testing in late 2020! Cheers!
    Smoke_Jaguars0ulafeinSkatanJuliusBorisov
    8afuqkk7mb5s.png

new portrait! Her file is named Yule~
    JuliusBorisovGusindas0ulafeintl1942
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Hi @blinkdog ! I know it's been a while since you last posted, but I just came across these and wanted to chime in and say that these are absolutely stunning. The style between the portraits is sometimes quite different, but I love how much personality they always convey. Please keep posting any new creations, because it would be amazing to see more of your work (and if you ever decide to start doing requests, count me in! :wink: )

Also, I don't know how difficult it would be, but if you ever feel up to it, I'd love to see some of the portraits you've done without the turquoise tattoos/facepaint (Yule, Half, Rhi, etc). I love the portraits but none of my PCs are edgy/daring enough for such bold style choices!

Thanks for all your amazing art work so far :blush:
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
    @energisedcamel Thank you so much! I actually logged in to post these to nexus, but I appreciate your feedback! Unfortunately, yes sometimes matching the style can be a bit difficult depending on the original picture that's manipulated, but I've quite enjoyed the process. I was thinking about making some new ones because I feel another baldur's gate playthrough coming on... lol
    JuliusBorisovenergisedcamelAerakar
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Just want to agree with everyone else that these are absolutely fantastic.

And aside from the pure quality here, I also appreciate that you framed the faces so that they fit perfectly with the traditional BG(2) style.
    Permidion_StarkAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • KenneðeyrnKenneðeyrn Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2021
    This may not be the best place to put this, my apologies.

Not gonna lie, as a tangent I was looking at a pfp on reddit, reverse image searched it and suddenly found myself in a rabbit hole looking at all the custom artwork on this forum. I was wondering, do you do commissions? It'd probably be better to contact you in person than asking here, so I'd ask you shoot me a message. c: Same goes to @Traycor. Yours and @blinkdog's are easily my favorite I've seen-- That said, most are wonderful. This community's artistic views/skill are awesome.

Discord: Kenneðeyrn#0436
    Email: Kennethernz@gmail.com
    Reddit: u/Kennetheyrn