Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    More labels:
    Opcodes: 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 325
    Parameter2 = 3
    Applies an increment modifier to Saving throw that CAN effect the saving throws of effects proceeding it in the same spell/item.
    Can be seen in "SPPR650" Spritual Lock, to impose a greater save penalty for spirits/Elementals.

Opcode 33 is currently broken in all but latest IWDEE release, affecting Save vs. Wands instead of Save vs. Death. Yet opcode 325 correctly applies the modifier to all saving throws, not Wands twice and Death none.

In contrast, Parameter2 = 0(Increment) is not able to alter saving throws for the spell/item applying it.
    Both Set options can also alter saving throws for proceeding effects within the spell/item.
    argent77
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    What about the multiple Voice overs of last BG2ee beta? Does NearInfinity support them?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I haven't really looked into the new features of latest BG2EE patch yet. How do you enable *multiple* voice overs in BG2EE?

Afaik, the game prefers to use the sounds included in the language-specific bifs/override and falls back to English if they are not available. NI behaves the same way.
    edited May 2018
    I killed Simmeon but Bg1 Dorn romance does not continue after he told me how he escaped from prison. Does NI let me see if it has been broken when I removed Dorn from party?
    Post edited by rede9 on
    argent77 said:

rede9 said:

I'm a noob. How can I activate clairvoyance indoor?

Disable SPL flags bit 13 (Outdoors only).
    SPWI301.SPL Thanks

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Quick question, probably obvious, but it is stumping my limited knowledge. I just upgraded to the latest NI version. NI makes saves of override folder items fine in SoD, but in BG2 no changes to items will save.

Any ideas why? I was thinking it is a permissions problem, but I have fully admin privileges for this machine (windows 8.1).

Java is up to date. I have been playing around with write/modify permissions, but nothing seems to work.
    Make sure Options > Ignore Overrides isn't checked. This option hides files in override folders from the user. Apart from that, does the debug console (Tools > Show Debug Console) show anything after you make a save attempt? Does exporting resources still work?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    It ended up being a BG2 folder permission issue. Somehow that folder had fewer rights than other folders, including Seige/BG1. I have no idea why. Now it works fine!
    More info on VEF/VVC/BAM field references:

Opcode 215: VEF can only be played with Parameter2=(0 or 2). It cannot be attached to the creature (p2=1). Having a dynamic resource menu doesn't sound like something that would be possible or practical to implement, but the resource menu in VEF files does it, so it might be.
    Opcodes (153 - 158) (Various Overlays): VEF files cannot be played (and are not listed), likely because these are always attached to the creature. VVC and BAM files work and are listed.

Projectiles:
    • 0x20 (Source Animation): Accepts VEF, VVC, and BAM, current resource menu only lists BAM files).
    • 0x104 (Projectile Animation): Accepts only BAM, lists only BAM. (Correct)
    • 0x10c (Shadow Animation): Accepts only BAM, lists only BAM. (Correct)
    • 0x136/0x13e/0x136 (Trailing Animations): Accepts VEF, VVC, and BAM, current resource menu only lists BAM files. Each appears to require a non-zero delay (0x14e, 0x150, 0x152) to display.
    • 0x21c (Explosion Animation): Accepts VEF, VVC, and BAM, current resource menu only lists BAM and VVC files.
    • 0x228 (Spread Animation): Accepts only BAM, lists only BAM. (Correct)
    • 0x228 (Ring Animation): Accepts only BAM, lists only BAM. (Correct)
    Utilizing VEFPROJ.ids, to use a VEF file as a projectile:
    Single target
    Source Animation= (the VEF file)
    Speed = 20
    Extended Flags: [Bit(29|Limited Path Count)] (can be dodged by moving away from caster).
    All other fields empty.
    Indexes listed in VEFPROJ.ids take priority over PROJECTL.ids, indexes are offset by 1 just as in PROJECTL.ids.
    The "Source Animation" field always travels twice as fast as the projectile itself, so the animation will "hit" before the effects. This is true for any projectile using the "Source Animation" field, not just VEF's.

Projectile Structure (Not sure if this is of any use):
    Projectile Type (0x8)
    1 (No BAM) - Using this option results in the projectile doing almost absolutely nothing. It doesn't deliver effects, and the only flag/field that had any effect was extended flag BIT20 (Display String), and its related strref field, except it was always the caster that displayed the string, not the target.
    0 (Unknown) - Using this option (by selecting '1', updating, then manually imputing '0') results in the projectile delivering effects (instantly, similar to projectile "1 - None"), but otherwise functioning the same as (1 / No BAM).
    argent77
    Thanks for the info. I remember one of the devs confirmed some time ago that VEFs can't be directtly attached to a creature. Great findings about VEFPROJ.IDS. I'll see if or how it can be integrated into NI.
    edited May 2018
    kjeron said:

Utilizing VEFPROJ.ids, to use a VEF file as a projectile:

Single target
    Source Animation= (the VEF file)
    Speed = 20
    Extended Flags: [Bit(29|Limited Path Count)] (can be dodged by moving away from caster).
    All other fields empty.
    Rereading this it may not have been clear - these are the (I assume hardcoded) properties of any VEF used as a projectile - this is what it would look like if you were to create it as a PRO file. Because any VEF projectile can be entirely recreated as a PRO file, there really isn't any reason to utilize VEFPROJ.ids, as it only interferes with PROJECTL.IDS.
    And one more:
    Opcode 68 (Unsummon Creature): Resource field accepts VEF/VVC/BAM - animation played at the location of the unsummoned creature, but only if the targeted creature is actually unsummoned (doesn't work on Party Members).
    If the field is empty, it defaults to "SPGFLSH1.VVC".
    kjeron said:

Opcodes (153 - 158) (Various Overlays): VEF files cannot be played (and are not listed), likely because these are always attached to the creature. VVC and BAM files work and are listed.

Correction: VVC and BAM files work, but only VVC files are currently listed. However, not much point in using a BAM, since they require a VVC for transparency (which these "overlays" generally need).
    IWD2 specific:
    Opcode 177 (Use EFF file)
    Parameter2 = 5 (CLASS.IDS)
    This should be labeled "CLASSMSK.IDS". and the parameter1 menu should be pulling entries from CLASSMSK.IDS, not from CLASS.IDS, as it currently does.
    @kjeron Does IWD2 support the EFF file format?
    Yes, it just doesn't use any in the base game.
    argent77
    Good to know. NI is still listing it as unsupported. While I'm at it, do you know if any of the following resource formats are supported by IWD2: PRO, VEF, VVC, WFX?
    Not as far as I can tell. All animations and projectiles appear to be hardcoded.
    Even tried something crazy - created a VVC file named after every BAM file, to see if they would take precedence, didn't notice any changes in-game.

Couldn't get opcode 215 to work with VVC or BAM files (though oddly it does not crash).
    All other visual opcodes use preset lists.
    @argent77 This new version has a serious problem for me - the entire window just remains a blank white.
    Nothing is shown in console. Everything is functional (when I click where something "should" be) - I just cannot see anything, even in popup windows.
    edited May 2018
    kjeron said:

@argent77 This new version has a serious problem for me - the entire window just remains a blank white.
    Nothing is shown in console. Everything is functional (when I click where something "should" be) - I just cannot see anything, even in popup windows.

Hmm, very strange. It could be related to outdated or incompatible video drivers. Does this version work better? NearInfinity-test1.zip

You could also start NI from the command prompt, so that error messages are redirected to the console.
    java -jar NearInfinity.jar 2>&1
    Yes, that version works fine.

Nothing reported in command prompt either.
    argent77
    I have sneaked the fix into the official release linked above. You should re-download NI if you encountered similar visual glitches as kjeron.

Btw, responsible was a semi-official system property that was intended to improve graphics performance in the area viewer.
    Thanks, and whatever you did, the area viewer is indeed much faster.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    @argent77
    Have you ever thought about making the area viewer more interactive, (being able to move objects around by dragging the mouse, adding / removing objects via right-click, etc.)? I think it would be a really cool feature to turn the area viewer into a pseudo "area editor" for the Infinity Engine games. I've been playing around with the idea a bit here; so far I've been focusing on making actors dynamic. I currently have actors draggable, as well as addable, cloneable, and removable via a right-click menu. What do you think?
    Gusinda
    I have thought about it, more than once. But my spare time is limited and I have about a dozen more projects to look after. I would welcome code contributions if you're up to it. NI is open source after all.

I have even created some additional artwork (icons, etc.) for the area viewer some time ago. It is currently unused and can be found under src/org/infinity/resource/are/viewer/icon.
    GusindaBubb
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Thanks for this new version, specially for what we have talked about a few weeks ago! ;)
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks a lot for this new version, @argent77! :smiley:
    Aerakar
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I'm trying to install NI and I can't seem to find out how to make it work. I updated to Java 10.0.1 and then downloaded the newest Version of NI from the Github site. I extracted the file into it's own folder and everything seems to be fine, but I can't find out how to make it run. Is there a .exe file somewhere that I'm just missing? I tried opening the NearInfinity.jar and it gives me an error.

I apologize in advance for not seeing what should be obvious, but I'm not a great computer expert. I mainly wanted to start using this tool instead of EE Keeper to modify games, and to work on the game in the future.
    @Bloodstone You can start the NearInfinity.jar directly, just like an .exe file.

If you've never started NI before, it should open a file dialog where you have to specify the game you want to open. Alternatively you can place NearInfinity.jar directly into the game's installation folder, and NI will open the game automatically. Subsequent starts of NI will automatically open the game found in the same folder (if available), or the last opened game otherwise.

You could also take a look at Near Infinity Wiki. It's slightly outdated by now, but should still cover the majority of features.
    RaduzielBloodstoneGusinda