Skip to content

Ring of Infravision: Finally Found a Use

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
So... the Ring of Infravision. Most games I loot it from Nimbul's cold, dead corpse and proceed to pawn it ASAP. For once I decided I would keep it. Arbitrarily, I gave it to Imoen. She sounds like a bit of a kleptomaniac in the first game anyway ("those monks never have anything good on them"!), so it seemed fitting enough.

I found myself using it without even realizing it. Every time I went to find a shadow so she could hide in shadows easier, her sprite would become reddish and I could tell when to click the button.

I realize you can tell if someone is "in the dark"/in a shadow without infravision, but it makes it more readily apparent anyhow. I also realize one can simply turn on party infravision.

So it's not a game-changer, but convenient anyway!

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Speaking of Nimbul, I find it fascinating that he is a 7/7 mage/thief who has 6 instances of Magic Missile memorized. That's a pretty neat trick!

I should edit his items and script like I had several years ago--as soon as his dialogue ends and he goes hostile he would cast horror, then use a potion of invisibility, then use throwing daggers against any party member who was not state_panic.
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    In my current game Imoen is a 7/5 Mage/Thief and she's got 6 Magic Missles memorized. (She's got a total of 8 lvl 1 spells)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Speaking of Nimbul, I find it fascinating that he is a 7/7 mage/thief who has 6 instances of Magic Missile memorized. That's a pretty neat trick!

I should edit his items and script like I had several years ago--as soon as his dialogue ends and he goes hostile he would cast horror, then use a potion of invisibility, then use throwing daggers against any party member who was not state_panic.

I've always thought he was a bard! How a level 7 mage can mess up so bad in a fight is just bad scripting, I mean a level 7 mage can take down Sarevok and his possy, hehe..
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    And how does a mage/thief use throwing axes?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

In my current game Imoen is a 7/5 Mage/Thief and she's got 6 Magic Missles memorized. (She's got a total of 8 lvl 1 spells)

Right, but she has a Ring of Wizardry too, no?
    tbone1 said:

...This is an excellent question.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Skatan said:

I've always thought he was a bard! How a level 7 mage can mess up so bad in a fight is just bad scripting, I mean a level 7 mage can take down Sarevok and his possy, hehe..
    tbone1 said:

The way that a character is presented in the game is not always the way he or she is structured. Remember, the original devs never intended that players be able to "see" what non-playable characters really are. For RP purposes, Nimbul IS a bard, but he's secretly structured as an illegal human mage/thief multi-class. I believe Silke may also be structured the same way (not sure about that, though).

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Why would Silke need thief levels? All she does is cast arcane magic and swing her staff at you.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    @Chronicler

Quarterstaff backstab with better scripting maybe? She casts invisibility so that wouldn't be much of a stretch.
    edited May 2018

Why would Silke need thief levels? All she does is cast arcane magic and swing her staff at you.

Noloir said:

@Chronicler

Quarterstaff backstab with better scripting maybe? She casts invisibility so that wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Like I said, I might be misremembering Silke (it's been a while since I cheated her into one of my parties).

EDIT: Wouldn't giving Silke thief levels improve her THAC0 when swinging her staff, and also give her more HPs? Just a thought.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Silke also has a Potion of Invulnerability in her inventory...which she cannot use. Trade that out for a Potion of Defense then have her script drink the potion first and those low-level parties are going to be in some serious trouble.

Back to the subject of infravision, a neat way to make infravision more useful would be to slightly reduce the vision range of creatures without infravision during the night and in dark places.

I'm pretty sure they already do this.

The only thing is that every body in your party can access the whole group's visual range. So with a full party it doesn't really make a difference if one or two of your guys don't have infravision.
    So then I'm kind of unclear on what Infravision does... at all.

What does Group Infravision even mean?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Infravision just makes other characters look reddish when those are in the dark. If you don't have infravision those characters will look grey/shadowed.

For group Infravision only one party member needs to have it and then any selected party member will have it (see characters red when they are in the dark).

So then I'm kind of unclear on what Infravision does... at all.

What does Group Infravision even mean?

I believe infravision was initially intended to have some sort of real benefit, but it was never actually implemented in the original (BG1) game - similar to how wisdom was supposed to have a "magical defense adjustment" against mind-controlling spells, but this was never implemented either.