Skip to content

May 25 Livestream Recap

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
Greetings!

Enjoy the recap of today's stream.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/may-25-livestream-recap.html

Comments

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2018
    ThacoBell said:

This was a pretty heavy NWN centered update. You know what would add more variety? An announcement for the SoulTaker questline in BG2EE!

I stand by my previous statement:

@JuliusBorisov , have a Noober-esque character named Thaco Bell appear in BGIIee and close the Soultaker plothole. B)

;)
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @ThacoBell jusy out of curiosity, why are you focusinh on Soultaker plot above all other things? Beamdog could expand BG2EE with other stuff too?
  • MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813
    edited May 2018
    SoD didn't sell all that well, right? (Sure, the PR nightmare probably contributed to that) So maybe that's the reason?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    "We’re constantly exploring different concepts for our future projects. We like the idea of the The Black Pits III, but if we do it, most likely it wouldn’t be in the Infinity Engine. According to Phil, there’s no reason why Baeloth the Entertainer can’t show up in 3E or 5E."

Looking forwards to hearing more of that. I absolutely love Baeloth and would very much like to see more of him in the future. Really I think there hasn't been a playthrough in a couple of years in which I haven't picked Baeloth.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Mirak said:

SoD didn't sell all that well, right?

Is this in fact true?
    I have no numbers, but measuring it to a new game does not fit, it's only bought by people who have and liked bg1ee and bg2ee per concept and known to beamdog in the beginning (I guess no sane buyer just bought and played sod only?).
    So as long as it developed on the long run as expected, it was a success (and my assumption is that beamdog would be out of business if it was a really low performer).
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @JuliusBorisov any forecast for the SoD update? As I said before, the fact that BGEE updated without SoD is giving me a bad time when it comes to modding.

Thanks.

Mirak said:

Is this in fact true?
    I have no numbers, but measuring it to a new game does not fit, it's only bought by people who have and liked bg1ee and bg2ee per concept and known to beamdog in the beginning (I guess no sane buyer just bought and played sod only?).
    So as long as it developed on the long run as expected, it was a success (and my assumption is that beamdog would be out of business if it was a really low performer).
    I have no idea, but I've seen rumors and speculations that SoD didn't sell as well as Beamdog hoped. And there's no follow-up to SoD. If SoD was a massive hit, I think they would try do another BG expansion fairly soon and that didn't happen.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Mirak said:

Mirak said:

Is this in fact true?
    I have no idea, but I've seen rumors and speculations that SoD didn't sell as well as Beamdog hoped. And there's no follow-up to SoD. If SoD was a massive hit, I think they would try do another BG expansion fairly soon and that didn't happen.
    Well they're hiring more and more people so I guess things are going in the right direction for them. But no matter the success SoD had, making yet another BG expansion would probably not be a good idea. They've proven themselves capable of making good games that are more than just minor expansions, as SoD was, but the Bhaalspawn saga is over and done. IMHO it would be a bad move to force yet another Bhaalspawn expansion. SoD was legit in that there always was this hole between BG1 and BG2, but there is no other such void to be filled in the saga. And when you force-write a sequel onto a series that is fine as it is, it results in SW episode 7, or AC: Unity, or Son of the Mask, or Dragon Ball GT, or countless others which I must forget.

I quote Qyburn from GoT on this: "Sometimes, before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest." Well, it's time to celebrate the great farewell that Beamdog made to the Bhaalspawn saga, with the EEs and then SoD, and wait for their next project.

Besides it is high time Beamdog flew of its own wings. They've proven competent enough to make their own games, with their own stories entirely, if they keep making EEs the "we can only improve 20yo games" reputation will definitely stick to their skin, and it's the last thing they want !
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2018
    Arunsun said:

SoD was legit in that there always was this hole between BG1 and BG2, but there is no other such void to be filled in the saga.

Actually, there is such hole. It's called Throne of Bhaal ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Aedan said:

Arunsun said:

SoD was legit in that there always was this hole between BG1 and BG2, but there is no other such void to be filled in the saga.

How so?
  • NeverwhereNeverwhere Member Posts: 2
    ThacoBell said:

Aedan said:

Arunsun said:

How so?
    Throne of Bhaal had pacing problems. Plot-wise, it always felt like it was supposed to be Baldur's Gate III instead of an expansion to the second game, so while it was still phenomenal, there were parts of it that never felt quite as fleshed-out as it should have.

There's a reason why one of the most popular mods in the franchise is called Baldur's Gate Trilogy when there were only two games. A lot of players felt that Throne of Bhaal should have been a full-blown sequel instead of an expansion.
    @Arunsun

The Soul Taker expansion was originaly planned for BG2, so even if your reasoning makes somewhat sense, I'm not sure that's the real reason why Beamdog didn't make it.

Again, Beamdog purposefully created a cliffhanger in SoD with clearly obvious plan to do another expansion for BG2.

If SoD was a smashing hit, I don't believe for a second they would have just said: Oh no, we're too good to make another BG DLC now.

And yeah, Beamdog sure is hiring, but at the same time quality vet like creative director David Gaider left without producing a single title.
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    Jesus, I never thought it would take over a year of saying they were going to patch BG1 and BG2 for them to attempt it. Just disgusting.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    zenblack said:

Jesus, I never thought it would take over a year of saying they were going to patch BG1 and BG2 for them to attempt it. Just disgusting.

The games have been patched half a dozen times. What are you smoking?

@Neverwhere The team was more rushed than they would have liked, but ToB was planned as an expansion from the beginning. BG3 was something different. (At least, according to an interview with David Gaider about Ascension that I read years ago.)