Skip to content

Lag during saves and between maps

2»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Gusinda

Thanks! Can you teach me how to use the linked page? Pretend I'm a toddler.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Raduziel, ok little one. [Grabs cheek between thumb and forefinger and shakes], goochy goochy goo. You are a cute one... (I am a Grandparent!)

When you open the site, you will see a list of drivers for your card. The version you currently have installed is 10.18.10.4358. You could look down the list and select one, say 10.18.19.4242 (which seems to be the earliest one on that page for Window 10). Even though there are quite a number, there only seems to be 2 of them repeated... The larger of the two is usually the 64Bit version of the driver (so the 92MB). While you are there, grab hold of the latest version as well as you will want to update to the latest if it doesn't work.

Down load that. It comes as a .cab (you can rename the file so that it makes sense). The .cab is a cabinet file which is like a .zip file, a container the holds files. Windows Explorer (I use WinRAR which does the same) can open the .cab and extract it to a folder.

Once it is extracted, go to your Device Manager (Right Click on the Windows Start Icon), double click on your video card (in Display Adapter) which will open its properties. Click on the Driver Tab to see what version it is. Because we are downgrading the driver, you will need to Uninstall the driver/device first.

What should happen is that the driver will delete and the video card will either show up as an unknown device or it will show up as a VGA adapter. What is more likely to happen is that Windows 10 will reinstall the driver because it knows better!

If it shows up as either of the other two, double click on the device, click on Driver Tab then Update driver. Navigate to the extracted folder, select OK and Windows should do the rest (install, recognise the device and update the info).

If it does the expected and installs the driver to the current version, we will also need to delete that driver from your system so we can take control. We will cross that bridge if/when it comes to it.

Hopefully it works out. It appears the notebook I have here is not an Intel HD 4000, but an earlier version.

[Puts little one to bed as it was a good bedtime tale]
    Gus
    @Gusinda Thanks, grandpa! <3

Currently running version 10.18.19.4242. Still having to choose between quick saves or normal movement - tested with Dither Always and Alternate Renderer on every combination possible (Off/Off, On/On, Off/On, On/Off).
    @Raduziel, well thats a pain. Have to think more about this.
    Gusinda said:

@Raduziel, well thats a pain. Have to think more about this.

Don't worry. You're already being a hero.
    @Raduziel, @gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, it appears that there is a later driver than the ones shown in Windows Catalog (which is strange as they normally have a history of all certified). These ones are from Intel and are v15.33.46.4885.

If that doesn't work, could someone try this:
    While using DirectX engine, hit ALT-Enter to go to windowed mode. Try moving around. Did it perform better? If so, ALT-Enter back into the game and see if it held.

If it didn't, try closing the game while in windowed mode and restart. Check performance in both Windowed and Full Screen.

Try the same when using OpenGL but testing saves. Also, does this only happen for Quick Saves or does it also happen for normal saves as well?

Here are some more options to improve performance for the HD4000, so give them a go:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8523/intel-chipset-performance-error-a-complete-collection-of-work-arounds

or

https://www.howtogeek.com/245592/how-to-improve-gaming-performance-with-intel-hd-graphics-chips/

Hopefully one of these work, preferrably the first.
    Gus

edited June 2018
    @Gusinda Thank you for your efforts. I'm installing the driver ATM and will come back to you with the results.
    @Gusinda

My first try was the .exe in the link provided by you. The installation failed - a message appears saying that the driver is not compatible with my system (it should be, as I'm running a 64 bits Windows 10).

So I followed Intel's baby-steps for this situation and was able to make it install but when I check the driver version at the Device Manager the version that appears is the previous one (10.18.10.4885 from 12/11/2017).

@JuliusBorisov any feedback from the Justice League Avengers team?
    @Raduziel, I just downloaded it myself to have a look. It seems there were only a couple of CPUs that were updated, although the driver you now have is 2 years younger (.4558 2017 vs .4368 2015) than the one you had previously. Did you try any of the other tests at all, particularly the windowed mode? I remember when I first got BGEE, that was the only way I could play the game. Bit of a pain in navigating, but it provided a means to an end.

Gus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Raduziel said:

@JuliusBorisov any feedback from the Justice League Avengers team?

Not yet, but it's logged into the internal tracker.
    @Gusinda Good morning. Sorry for taking this long.

Scenario 1 - Alternate Renderer ON and Fullscreen: quick saving ok, movement slow.

Scenario 2 - Alternate Renderer ON and Windowed: screen goes fully white, can't play or test.

Scenario 3 - Alternate Renderer OFF and Fullscreen: quick saving slow, movement ok.

Scenario 4 - Alternate Renderer OFF and Windowed: quick saving slow, movement ok.

Conclusion: being fullscreen or windowed does not impact this issue.

And the slowness affects all kind of saves: normal, quick and auto.

Thanks!
    Another thing to add to this issue:

The bigger the party, the slower is the saving.

A solo character takes up to 10 seconds to save, a full party takes up to 1 minute.

Summons apparently do not affect the saving time.
    @JuliusBorisov Any news on this issue? Is this being addressed for v2.5? Any insights from Beamdog about something I can do to solve this problem in my end?

Thanks!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The bug "Quicksave should not scan game and document folders more than is required" is under review.

Another bug "Saves should not take 20+ seconds on machines with integrated Intel graphic chipsets" most likely will be looked at during a future (distant) 2.6 patch.
    edited June 2018
    @JuliusBorisov

Thanks for the effort. Please, transmit my gratitude to the team.

Time to remove the dust from Fallout, I think.

Edit: I couldn't find the entry on redmine, what is the report title?
    Public tickets:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/31833
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/26966
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32541
    Might be related - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37330

Internal tickets:
    33040 ("Quicksave should not scan game and document folders more than is required")
    37664 ("Saves should not take 20+ seconds on machines with integrated Intel graphic chipsets")
    @JuliusBorisov

Ok, I'm very disappointed with Beamdog right now, as I see that this issue was reported almost a year ago and first it was closed without a solution due to "no activity in the last 30 days" and now it maybe will be fixed in 2.6 - and God knows when this patch will happen taken Beamdog's history with patches release.

Someone should be fired for this. And Beamdog really needs to learn a thing or two about Total Quality Management.
    edited June 2018
    I hope you understand that Beamdog are a small studio and have limited time resources.

A few bugs are very hard to track. At first, they have to be reproduced. This is why certain bug reports are being closed due to no activity in the last 30 days: when a person reporting the issue doesn't reply to questions from the QA, which can help define what the bug is, it makes things more difficult.

Also, I hope you understand the amount of issues Infinity Engine games have. It's really difficult to fix everything.
    @JuliusBorisov I understand that you're just the messenger when it comes to Beamdog so, first and foremost, don't take anything I'll say as a personal offense because I have nothing but respect for you.

Second, what you said just evidences the lack of Beamdog's strategic planning. They bite off more than they can chew. Everyone know that IE has a lot of problems so dealing with those should be a #1 priority.

Before releasing lots of games for lots of platforms they should have focused on offering a good client support because that's what makes a company grow in a sustainable way. It's not my job, as a client, to understand that Beamdog is a small studio, is @TrentOster 's job, as a CEO, to know that and make decisions accordingly.

A reported bug still being around after almost one year because it was closed by a staff member without a proper reason is something unacceptable. And this is coming from a guy that always took Beamdog's side on every fight because I'm a Business Management bachelor and I worked with that for many years, so I know how it is to be on Beamdog's shoes.

These little things will give to Beamdog the same destiny that Troika had. And that p*sses me off even further because I like this damn company.

Absurdly long patches cycles, the inequality of treatment for the several platforms and games; the fact that a lot of the technical support is given by the community, not Beamdog; the unacceptable plot hole for the Soultaker Dagger created by Beamdog; the fact that BGEE got patched before SoD (making it useless as they can't be used together), every little or big mistake that I silently watched Beamdog perpetrate, conducts this company to a dark future.

I really hope that I'm overreacting and that I'm wrong, but everything I said in this post comes for more than a player, but as a business analyst.

Nothing useful will come from this thread, as there is no forecast for solving this issue - an issue that makes the game unplayable and, especially in my case, almost unmodabble, because I have to make a lot of ingame tests.

If Beamdog wants to I can extend this discussion in PM, or here if you guys think that's better, or just let it quiet. I'm not the OP, but IMHO this thread can be closed.

Thanks, @JuliusBorisov . Enjoy the World Cup in your home country.
  • ilovebffaceilovebfface Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    @Gusinda
    You are a paladin of kind and light!
    I was suffering from the save issue. I can't solve it for a long time. This topic helped me. I'm lucky - my solution was simple. I've just installed DirectX 9.0c and enabled "Alternate Render".

Thank you very much, dude!
    edited May 2020
    @ilovebfface, no problems and welcome. There is also another solution that might work and will allow you to keep using OpenGL if DirectX is a prob (I wasn't able to view the dream sequences when using DirectX).

All the best
    Gus